Thread: The Flowers of War (film) - Nanking Massacre

Administrator

England

The Flowers of War (film) - Nanking Massacre

It was other posts on this forum that taught me about the Nanking Massacre. It was a truly horrific act which shows what levels humanity can sink to. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre

I'm not sure how much historical fact will be in this film though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w9B7AidyaU
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Saw the similarly-themed Men Behind The Sun years ago. Most disturbing film I've seen yet.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    It looks like Christian Bale is portraying the german businessman John Rabe, who sheltered hundreds of chinese from the japanese soldiers. What the film probably won't mention is that John Rabe was a card carrying member of the Nazi Party. However he later wrote to Hitler and tried to get him to get the Japanese to stop being so violent and rapey, something for which Gestapo detained him. He also wrote in his letters that he hoped that Germany and the Nazi party would take steps to ensure that something like this never happened in Europe. Oh the irony.

Otherwise, while I will watch this film, I'm pretty sure it will hold back on the brutalities. Something tells me we won't get to see pregnant women getting raped in the streets and then bayonetted in their bellys afterwards. Or kids being stabbed in their genitals. Generally, the atrocities were of the most extreme order and how anyone could do some of the things the Japanese did is beyond me.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Looks like a definite tear jerker....