Thread: This Is Why I Don't Play Online

United States

This Is Why I Don't Play Online

So my ISP is Suddenlink and we've had issues with them since day one. The install was sloppy, we can't watch a thirty minute program without the cable hitching, pixellating, sound cutting out. But this is the biggest issue..

http://speedtest.net/result/1651101643.png

Now they say they don't throttle back speeds and that there has to be an issue somewhere. Or, they say we're too far from the hub. Or that this is peak time. Or that it's an issue with whatever site we're trying to access.

My question to you guys, what's the net like where you live?
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by childofgilead View Post
    So my ISP is Suddenlink and we've had issues with them since day one. The install was sloppy, we can't watch a thirty minute program without the cable hitching, pixellating, sound cutting out. But this is the biggest issue..

http://speedtest.net/result/1651101643.png

Now they say they don't throttle back speeds and that there has to be an issue somewhere. Or, they say we're too far from the hub. Or that this is peak time. Or that it's an issue with whatever site we're trying to access.

My question to you guys, what's the net like where you live?
    Worse than yours mate - don't moan!

I'm on a laughable "4.5mbps" connection, in real terms I get 650k download and 600k upload, capped by my isp to "maintain the stability of the network".

Lucky I get it free, otherwise I'd have shat in their in trays by now.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Ireland
    I'd love a 650k download. I usually get only 110 - 150k speeds, even though I'm on a supposed 5mb line.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    wow. 3 responses in and no crazy internet conspiracy posts yet.

anyhoo, i use roadrunner and have had zero problems with it.

perhaps it is the service provider themselves and you should take your business elsewhere. esp. if you keep getting excuse after excuse.

if you feel that install was sloppy, have you looked into having the whole shebang re-installed?
    Last edited by Mike70; 16-Dec-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: left the "d" off the word "and"
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Wound up redoing it myself after the guy left. I can't stand sloppiness with something like that, it's antithetical to my nature. As far as changing providers, there's no other options for broadband other than Frontier and they're worse, they've invested nothing in the infrastructure and it's next to impossible to stay online. Rock, me, hard place.

And considering the bill is around 140 a month, I'd expect much better service than I'm getting. But apparently getting what you pay for isn't the way anymore.
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland

A lot better on the download but, oddly, much lower on the upload. I'm on fibre-optic broadband, I don't know if that or ADSL (copper phone line) broadband is the norm over there.

United States
    Not sure about all areas, but fiber optic is definitely the exception rather than the rule. There was legislation supposedly going through a few years ago, but our illustrious representative Rick Boucher nixed it because of "liabilities".

But yeah, it seems like my country just talks a big game. There is no innovation, there isn't any desire for progress, to do something "just because". Everything is done just good enough. I know that might sound lame to some, but I think taking pride in your workmanship is something to be desire, not derided. While I was working at a manufacturing plant, I took a certain amount of pride in a properly clean solder or weld. Or a really great paintjob. Even if it was in a place that wouldn't be seen, there is a certain amount of pride knowing that you did your best, ya know?

I dunno..I guess I'm just bummed out at this "good enough" society over on this side of the pond. I pay my bills before I consider anything else, and I'd like to have what I pay for. Paying extra for their "premium" internet package and getting slowed down all day really isn't fair. And all they have to do is contribute to the congressman who has been in office pretty much his entire adult life "his last name is rockefeller and yes, THOSE rockefellers" then they don't have to worry about being held up to their promises to continually upgrade their infrastructure to support their booming business. Instead, it goes into the pockets of a higher up instead of being invested in more commonality and upgrades which would bring in larger profits down the road.

I consider myself an independent, politically. I honestly think that either side of the aisle would happily screw you over for their own separate reasons. I'm tired of nanny laws, I'm tired of laws intruding in on my private life. I'm tired of being taxed 40% of my earnings without anything to show for it other than the highest debt crisis EVER.

So yeah..um..better interwebz for all! Or something..

United States
    1.5m/b is decent download speed if you live in the hinterland.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

United States

I have Verizon FIOS the 35/35 plan and its pretty close to those speeds all the time.

I recommend to anyone to switch from cable to fiber optic if its at all possible.
    Last edited by kortick; 18-Dec-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: satans fault

United States
    Yeezuz man..yeezuz.