View Poll Results: After death, will you move on to another existance?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I believe I will 'live' after I die.

7 33.33%
  • No, the lights go out and that's it.

10 47.62%
  • I really am not sure.

4 19.05%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Life After Death

Administrator

England

Life After Death

When the lights go out, what happens?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Do I have to spell it out?

England
    I guess nobody knows seen as nobody has ever come back, but my money is on the lights go out and thats it, which is why people should live for the day rather than going through their whole life worrying about the next one which likely doesnt exist.

United States
    I'd add a different option to the list here - it doesn't matter what happens after you die and should not be dwelled upon.

I'm a Christian - what matters to me, in my opinion, is living here and now and living life as best one can to do good for others and try to live with compassion and love for others. As long as I can do this - it doesn't matter what happens after death - whether there is or is not an afterlife is a moot point. It just doesn't matter.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Twitching

Undisclosed
    The only apparent life after death is legacy.

Super Moderator

United States
    Though I'm not certain and hope I'm wrong, it's more than a sound bet that once the electrochemical activity shuts down in the brain it's all over.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Though I'm not certain and hope I'm wrong, it's more than a sound bet that once the electrochemical activity shuts down in the brain it's all over.
    Nicely put!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    OH YEAH?????

I know a couple of people who'd disagree.

Upon revival, though, decomposition slows rapidly.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    When the lights go out, what happens?
    Churchill's speech then the intro to Aces High kicks in... ooooh you mean the other Life After Death...

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    'When the lights go out...'
    Danny Elfman sings a cool song?
    Nah, I believe the spirit lives on, maybe taking another form in this world or sticking to the spirit world. It's complicated.
    *shrugs* I guess it doesn't matter, though.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    'When the lights go out...'
    Danny Elfman sings a cool song?
    Nah, I believe the spirit lives on, maybe taking another form in this world or sticking to the spirit world. It's complicated.
    *shrugs* I guess it doesn't matter, though.
    I always have a problem understanding what people mean by 'spirit'. Are they referring to the electrical signals pinging around your brain that makeup consciousness & self awareness? I've don't see what ring fences these particular electrical signals over any others. Why are they special? Do computers go through some supernatural rebirth when they're turned off?
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Churchill's speech then the intro to Aces High kicks in... ooooh you mean the other Life After Death...
    "We will go on to the end, whatever the cost may be...."
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    Yes.

Hebrews 9:27: "And as it is appointed to men once to die, but after this the judgment."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i am an annihilationist. i am of the opinion that it is fade to black time and i certainly hope that is the case. eternity is a long, long time. i have no desire to be "immortal" in either body or soul. everything lives out its time in this universe then dies, i think that is probably one of those immutable laws of nature that there is no way around. i can deal with mortality just fine and the fact that one day i will not exist and everything that was me will be gone, only to live on in my children and their descendants. i need not "soothe" myself with hollow stories for 4 year olds about heaven nor do i find solace in the idea of "meeting" loved ones who have preceded me in death. that is why it is important to show/tell people that you care about them while you have the chance.

i am convinced that the only reason most religions exist is because most humans simply cannot handle to fact that one day they will die.

where is kaos with that "you will die" vid from youtube? i can't find that damn thing.
    Last edited by Mike70; 22-Dec-2011 at 01:08 AM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    Dust to dust.