United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^
    How cool is that

Beyond COOL!!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    More epic zombie lego this is my screensaver lol.

Dude! That is awesome...and using as a screensaver sounds good to me

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Belgium
    Hello guys,

Sorry it took me a while to post an update but the past few days have been pretty intense.
    As mentioned herabove by MinionZombie the Winchester project reached the 10k supporters on 31/MAR – thank god it did not happen on April 1st because nobody would have believed it!
    So.. what happens next… here is the official message from LEGO

Congrats on 10,000 Supporters, yatkuu!

2012/03/31

Wow! Congratulations on a great run to 10,000 supporters this week, fueled by actor Simon Pegg's mentions on Conan and Twitter! We admire your passion and enthusiasm for the film Shaun of the Dead, and your desire to see a LEGO set of the Winchester.

In our previous message, we noted that due to the themes behind Shaun of the Dead, there would need to be some significant internal discussion for us to agree to produce this as a product. Please understand that this discussion has yet to take place, and while we appreciate your work and celebrate this big success with you, we are not guaranteeing production.

But for now, we celebrate. So without further adieu, we congratulate you on achieving 10,000 supporters and officially advance this project to the Review phase.

How's that for a slice of fried gold?

What happens now?

This project moves from the Idea stage to the Review stage. A "LEGO Jury" composed of designers, product managers, and other key team members will examine the idea. We'll build concept models and determine if the concept meets our high standards for what it takes to be a LEGO product, including playability, safety, and fit with the LEGO brand.

Every LEGO product goes through a process like this and must meet the same standards.

The review is a thorough process that will take several weeks. When finished, we make a "go/no go" decision to develop and sell the Winchester. We will inform you of our decision, and if green-lighted, this project goes into the longest phase of the project; the Development phase. During this time, LEGO model designers refine the product and develop it for release, we create the product materials (box, instructions, marketing), and get everything ready for a production run. This takes several months.

We will post followup information here and announce our final decision in the LEGO.com press room.
    I have been told that it would take them 4 to 6 weeks to give their decision.
    10,000 supporters does not mean they'll start making these kits, it only means the Lego group will 'review' the idea.
    But we have never been this close to get official Shaun of the Dead LEGO, and that’s pretty amazing.

The news has also been relayed in many different medias, you may check the full (and growing) list here.

Come what may, I wanted to thank you all for your help in making this happen!

Super Moderator

UK
    "How's that for a slice of fried gold?" - hehe, glad to see they know their Shaun.

Good news indeed - here's hoping the review process goes well.

If they did go ahead with it, would that be a wide release (as in anyone could buy it in any shop that sells Lego), or would it be a more niche release (for those who really want it for their zombie collection)?

Belgium
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    If they did go ahead with it, would that be a wide release (as in anyone could buy it in any shop that sells Lego), or would it be a more niche release (for those who really want it for their zombie collection)?
    So far they have only developped 3 CUUSOO products (a satelite, a submarine and a set based on the Minecraft video game) - the first 2 were sold online in Japan only, the third one has not yet been released but it's up for preorder here - chances are that it will also be exclusively sold online.

Super Moderator

United States
    Well, congrats on getting this level of consideration, and I wish you the best with the "LEGO Jury" (<--- I find that term highly amusing for some reason).

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Being Attacked

England
    Congrats! Thoroughly hope they give it a go and put it into production!

Belgium
    Hi guys!

Sadly, I must share with you today the decision from LEGO not to pursue the realisation of the Winchester.

Check all the details here.

I knew it was a long shot from the start.. my main goal was always pay a tribute to a great film and promote my hobby - in that aspect I still consider the project a success. LEGO are not just for kids, it's a great medium that can be used to express any type of interest, passion, art, you name it. Having a green light would have been the icing on the cake, well.. so be it.

Thank you to everyone who supported the project, it’s been a great adventure, great fun.
    I met a lot of awesome people and I still can't believe what Simon and Edgar did for me... a story to tell the grandkids one day!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatkuu View Post
    Hi guys!

Sadly, I must share with you today the decision from LEGO not to pursue the realisation of the Winchester.

Check all the details here.

I knew it was a long shot from the start.. my main goal was always pay a tribute to a great film and promote my hobby - in that aspect I still consider the project a success. LEGO are not just for kids, it's a great medium that can be used to express any type of interest, passion, art, you name it. Having a green light would have been the icing on the cake, well.. so be it.

Thank you to everyone who supported the project, it’s been a great adventure, great fun.
    I met a lot of awesome people and I still can't believe what Simon and Edgar did for me... a story to tell the grandkids one day!
    Sorry to hear they decided not to go with it.

However it is pretty darn cool how it really inspired interest online, and from the creators of Shaun, no less.

United States
    I'm not so sure I agree with LEGO's decision as it was a bit weak, however, it's their product and their company.

Either way, it was a cool as hell idea, and I'm saddened it didn't make it to market. Ah well, at least you gave it a shot - and picked up some friends (and support from Simon & Edgar!) along the way.

Administrator

England
    The fact Lego has decided not to make it is a shame. But the overall project is far from a failure; The amount of interest demonstrates that!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Being Attacked

England
    Great shame they didn't go through with it, especially after all the support. Congrats on all the hard work though.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatkuu View Post
    I knew it was a long shot from the start.. my main goal was always pay a tribute to a great film and promote my hobby - in that aspect I still consider the project a success.
    As well you should. I understand why they decided not to make the set, but you've definitely accomplished something to be proud of!
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Belgium

Build a Win!

Build a Win! by Yatkuu, on Flickr

The wait is over, today my friend Pixel Fox and myself are very happy to share with you the building instructions of the Winchester!
    I want to say a huge thanks to Sylvain from 1001 Bricks and Marc a.k.a. Roamingstudio for their help in making this possible.

Here are the different download links:

Link 1PDF instructions
    (3 files in a Zip archive – 1 pdf per floor – total size 16MB)

These are the step by step building instructions, similar to what LEGO produces for its official sets.

Link 2Source Files
    (LDRAW/.ldr files + LDD/.lxf file + .bsx parts inventory + .bsx Minifigures parts inventory 6 files in a Zip archive – total size 134KB)

- the .ldr files – these are the different floors of the Winchester rebuilt in 3D with LDRAW, a freeware program which can create Lego models in 3D. (http://beta.ldraw.org/) These are the files we have used to create the instructions.

- the .lxf file – this is the complete Winchester rebuilt in 3D with LEGO Digital Designer (http://ldd.lego.com/). Once you download and install the LDD software (it’s free) you will be able to visualize the Win from all possible angles and analyze its composition brick by brick.

- the .bsx files, these are parts inventories generated with the free software “Brickstore” (http://www.brickforge.de/software/brickstore/) You will need to install the program to view the list of bricks.

Unless of course you already own a big collection of LEGO you will most likely ask yourself where to find the bricks needed to build your own Win… do not despair as I have some good news for you, Toy Shops are not the only place where you can buy LEGO! BrickLink (http://www.bricklink.com/) is an online commerce site that has been created to facilitate buying and selling parts, sets, and other LEGO related items among thousands of buyers and sellers. Yes, on this site you can buy any LEGO brick you want, by the unit – how cool is that?

Once you have created an account on this site you will be able to import the parts inventory files provided here above and order only the pieces you need to resellers located around the world.

Note that “Shaun” and the “Winchester gun” are not LEGO products and can only be purchased via BrickArms resellers (http://www.brickarms.com/).

If you ever decide to build your own Win either based on our design or your own, please send us a picture or post it in this dedicated Flickr group!

Enjoy the build!
    Yatkuu & Pixel Fox

Edit:

I have been told that some people experienced problems with the download ... so here are some alternate links:

PDF Instructions: http://www.makethewinchester.com/wp-...structions.zip
    Source Files: http://www.makethewinchester.com/wp-...urce-Files.zip

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Yatkuu; 03-Jul-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Added alternate dl links