Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaun of the Dead lego set

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Shaun of the Dead lego set

I loved Legos as a kid. Even as an adult, I would buy this set in a heartbeat....

http://collider.com/shaun-of-the-dead-lego-images/134751/

Administrator

England
    I thought this was a spoof!???!!?!? OMG!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Must have!

Administrator

England
    OH! It is a spoof
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Holy crap this is awesome! hahaa!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    OH! It is a spoof

Bollocks!

Belgium
    Guys, this is no spoof... Check this out:
    http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/7451

This thing could get real!

-- -------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Okay, so I thought I'd post a little bit more of background info on this...
    I'm the guy who built the Winchester in Lego...

Now here is the thing, if you like this build and if you want to own it as any true Shaun fan would I have some news for you...

Lego has recently launched a website named CUUSOO. The concept of this site is that the fans can post their creations and the community of members can vote for the projects they like best. If the project gets enough supporters Lego will consider producing the set for real and you'll be able to buy it from their website.

If you think this project is cool, all you have to do is go to this page:
    http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/7451
    ... register on the site and hit the button "support" next to the Winchester. If we get 10000 supporters "this shit will get real" to quote our friend Nicholas.
    How's that for a slice of fried gold?

(just to be clear supporting the project does not mean you commit to buy the thing if it ever gets released, it's basically just saying that you think it's cool!)

I'm posting this here for several reasons, first I obviously need your support to make this happen, second I thought that it would be good to give everyone the opportunity to discuss the idea.
    Like it / Hate it? I'd like to know it so I would appreciate any feedback!

btw, if you like Lego you can also check my flickr in my signature - not everything is related to zombies!

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Have you looked into licensing issues? Lego pays a lot of money for the right to produce kits based on movie franchises like Star Wars and Pirates of the Caribbean. They may be reluctant to take on a CUUSOO creation that would require them to pay a lot of licensing fees.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Have you looked into licensing issues? Lego pays a lot of money for the right to produce kits based on movie franchises like Star Wars and Pirates of the Caribbean. They may be reluctant to take on a CUUSOO creation that would require them to pay a lot of licensing fees.
    On an R-rated film, no less. I can't imagine Lego(a children's company) being eager to produce a set based on a film with such classic lines as "can I get any of you cunts a drink?" and "whats up niggas?".

Belgium
    Thanks for the feedback.

Sure, the project has its challenges... for the licensing part we already have the support of Edgar Wright so I guess that's got to count for something! http://www.edgarwrighthere.com/2012/...ego-by-yatkuu/
    Regarding Lego producing a set based on such a movie... there are several things to consider:
    - they alreday made zombie related sets based on the pirates of the caribean movies, and there is an official lego minifi zombie that came out.
    - they made licensed sets of movies that include violence, swearing, drinking... Indiana Jones for one. Shaun is not an horror movie, it's a zombie comedy...
    The project just got launched, if Lego has major concerns we can always try to negotiate but I want to believe there is a chance...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yatkuu View Post
    - they made licensed sets of movies that include violence, swearing, drinking... Indiana Jones for one. Shaun is not an horror movie, it's a zombie comedy...
    Yeah, but the Indiana Jones series is Pg/Pg13 and doesn't have gratuitous use of the "F word", gore, and bodies literally being torn limb from limb. Whether Shaun is a horror, comedy, or historical war epic - It's probably way too far over the top for a company like Lego. They have a family-friendly image to uphold.

I don't mean to get you down. It's a wonderful set and I really wish you the best in the world, but I just don't see this one working out in your favor. Sorry to be the Debbie Downer, because I would LOVE to have this set...
    Last edited by bassman; 06-Jan-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It's probably way too far over the top for a company like Lego. They have a family-friendly image to uphold.
    Does this mean my Ron Jeremy bedroom scene isn't likely to get endorsed either? Doh! I bought a special pink 8x1'er for that!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Does this mean my Ron Jeremy bedroom scene isn't likely to get endorsed either? Doh! I bought a special pink 8x1'er for that!
    No, I think they're still going ahead with that one....

Administrator

England
    What the hell are those two 'barrels' on the bird on the right's legs suppose to be?
    -Carl Sagan

Belgium
    Hello everyone,

It’s been a while since I last posted an update on the project so I have some big news to share!

It’s been 2 months now that the Winchester project has been posted on CUUSOO and we have just passed 1500 supporters… this is amazing!
    1500 supporters is a good milestone to switch the second gear... so today I am very happy to share with you the launch of a new website: “makethewinchester.com” !
    On this blog you will be able to find additional information on the project, who we are, an overview of the media coverage… In time we will also add instructions and making of details, exclusive info on the movie and much much more… (my signature is only a teaser of what's coming!)

For starters, I have a great news for all the Zombie fans out there as we are very happy to announce a partnership with Z Magazine - the first Magazine for zombies written by zombies!
    Support the Winchester on CUUSOO and get a free ecopy of the magazine – check all the details here.

At last but not least, yesterday we got our first official feedback from LEGO! See the message hereafter:

Congratulatory message from LEGO for +500 votes

2012/03/05

Congratulations on all of the supporters! Your model is very well done, and you've presented the project in a fun and engaging way all around.

Since Shaun of the Dead is a comedy, and you present your work in a humorous fashion, we believe this is within the realm of the LEGO company brand standards on violence. Note that the zombie theme does put this project at the edge of what we produce, however we recognize that the LEGO Group produces other products where themese of violence and death play a significant role.

Please understand that this initial green light does not have an effect on the LEGO Review that will take place if the project reaches 10,000 supporters. The nature of the work would require some significant internal discussion before we make the decision to produce such a set.

In the mean time, we wish you the best of luck on your journey to 10,000 supporters!
    The LEGO CUUSOO Team
    They are very careful and so should they but it’s a very positive feedback nonetheless! I know that some of you were skeptical on the feasibility of this project but this could get real!!