Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TWD Season 3 will be how many episodes long? - This many...

Administrator

England
    I want to see some new characters, and some really big/long/deep flash back stories. Hell, let's have almost a whole episode dedicated to some of these flashbacks. The time of the initial outbreak is ripe for some solid stories!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I want to see some new characters, and some really big/long/deep flash back stories. Hell, let's have almost a whole episode dedicated to some of these flashbacks. The time of the initial outbreak is ripe for some solid stories!
    Unfortunately they have already said they will only use flashbacks precredit sequence
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Unfortunately they have already said they will only use flashbacks precredit sequence
    Big loss! There's so much potential material there
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Maybe they'll change their minds in due course - who knows - but I do really enjoy the flashbacks that we've had.

Today I started re-watching the first half of season two, and that flashback in 2x02 where Shane pulls up at Carl's school to tell Lori that Rick's been shot, had me in goosebumps. I know exactly how it all worked out, but just seeing it - and indeed being in on the resultant information - really made my skin crawl in the best possible way.

United States
    Agreed, this is a loss on their part and I think they are really boxing themselves in. You should never turn your back on a potential story especially one people want to see.

Super Moderator

United States
    Honestly, I think flashbacks, prequels and nonlinear/in media res story lines have been so overused in recent years that they have become a predictable, gimmicky crutch and are a valueless selling point to me. Just tell a good, evocative story with good characters.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I have to agree with Aces. While I wouldn't mind a few flashbacks here and there, I really don't want to see them use that crutch too much. The web series worked fine, but I don't want to see them adding a flashback to the beginning of every episode. The few we've had were okay, but I hope they don't get carried away with it.

Besides....at the center of TWD is the story of Rick. We wake up with him in the first episode, so there's not any potential flashback stories to explore. Seemingly all flashbacks involving Shane, Lori, and Carl have been explored, and at the end of the day you could easily take those out. So to go further into exploring Amy/Dale/Andrea/Jim/Etc would really be wasting air time, imo.

TWD is about Rick surviving AFTER the fact. I don't care for seeing B, C, and so far non-existent characters running around in a panic.....
    Last edited by bassman; 17-Jan-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Honestly, I think flashbacks, prequels and nonlinear/in media res story lines have been so overused in recent years that they have become a predictable, gimmicky crutch and are a valueless selling point to me. Just tell a good, evocative story with good characters.
    So you're saying, so in series 3, if 2-3 of the 16 episodes started with large flash backs (eg: a good few minutes), and one episode was almost an entire episode dedicated to a flashback (eg: akin to the much talked about tank zombie), that wouldn't mix it up nicely?

-- -------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    TWD is about Rick surviving AFTER the fact. I don't care for seeing B, C, and so far non-existent characters running around in a panic.....
    I have to disagree. Although Rick is the/a central character, he's not really a very interesting aspect of the series IMHO - Other characters and events have proven far more interesting, and I suspect will continue to. It's like saying Picard was what Star Trek TNG was all about...

By all means let's set the majority of the story around his story arc, but there's not reason to only do that... I'm quite happy for example to see a zombie that stands out to have their swan song told in an episode. Would make a nice change IMHO.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I don't want to see an overuse of flashbacks, but I would like to get snippets of stuff for the other characters that we didn't see before ... not to the extent you saw regularly in Lost for example, but a little bit of something to just add a little shading (pertinent to that particular episode's plot) for the other characters (e.g. Dale & Andrea, and Glenn too most definitely) ... dreams would also be another thing they could do a couple of times - have a character asleep and dreaming something from their past lives before the zombies, and then they wake up - then the opening titles.

I watched all seven episodes of season two we've so far had yesterday and I found the Sophia storyline to work much better in quicker viewing succession, rather than spread out over seven weeks.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I watched all seven episodes of season two we've so far had yesterday and I found the Sophia storyline to work much better in quicker viewing succession, rather than spread out over seven weeks.
    My major issue with those episodes were how safe it all felt on the farm. It just seemed too cosey and no real threat existed from the walkers any more... It left you thinking why not just find another farm just like this one and go and retire there!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Agreed, the farm was too safe, and there are solid stories out there about the ramp up to the story we see now. Flashbacks can be a tool used by weak minded creators or they can be valuable tools used to tell stories that matter, help build characters up, and make us understand motivation.

If it adds depth, understanding, or even the occasional amazing dramatic or action sequence I certainly have no problem with it and in truth welcome it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    My major issue with those episodes were how safe it all felt on the farm. It just seemed too cosey and no real threat existed from the walkers any more... It left you thinking why not just find another farm just like this one and go and retire there!
    The safety of the farm makes sense for rural areas around here. You can get out into farm land where you won't see a soul for miles. Excluding that, I imagine the lack of an external threat was an intentional choice so it could all focus on the internal threat of the characters' relationships and the barn full of walkers.

As for going to another farm - the know they could do that(it was even mentioned a few times, if im not mistaken), but I believe Rick's main thing is staying with HERSCHEL. The value of a trained medic is much higher than just a safe place to live. With Herschel's farm they have both - Security and Medical care.

Super Moderator

UK
    Although Maggie did say in one of the episodes that any of the nearest farms are either 'burned out or over-run' - so clearly there is a zombie danger out there (perhaps we'll see it invade Herschel's farm ... indeed that could very well happen, when you think about it). Plus, with the amount of racket they made in 2x07, some zombies will probably find the place eventually - and indeed a herd could be an issue too (which was referenced in relation to this particular location in one of the volumes of the comics).

United States
    I don't want to see an overuse of flashbacks, but I would like to get snippets of stuff for the other characters that we didn't see before ... not to the extent you saw regularly in Lost for example, but a little bit of something to just add a little shading (pertinent to that particular episode's plot) for the other characters (e.g. Dale & Andrea, and Glenn too most definitely) ... dreams would also be another thing they could do a couple of times - have a character asleep and dreaming something from their past lives before the zombies, and then they wake up - then the opening titles.

Agree with you on all points.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    As for going to another farm - the know they could do that(it was even mentioned a few times, if im not mistaken), but I believe Rick's main thing is staying with HERSCHEL. The value of a trained medic is much higher than just a safe place to live. With Herschel's farm they have both - Security and Medical care.
    Having Herschel is great, especially if you're...
    Wait for it...
    One sick puppy.
    Where's my rimshot?!?!?

and indeed a herd could be an issue too (which was referenced in relation to this particular location in one of the volumes of the comics).
    I was kind of hoping for a herd to find its way there myself...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Judging by the upcoming episode titles and what the actores/writers/producers have said in interviews, there has to be a herd coming soon. At least a good reason for them to leave the farm, so a herd makes sense.