Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: MZ's Movie Review Thread

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, I too thought the Muppets reboot was fantastic. Lots of laughs for the adults and the kids love it.

I can't explain why, but when I heard "What the Wakka?!?" near the end I was bent over with laughter....

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, The Muppets was rather well done (I too loved the idea of Animal being in rehab).

I have to say, one of the funniest bits for me was during the 'getting the gang back together' montage and they're back in the car and they mention 'and even the ones who weren't in the montage', and Rowlf complains he wasn't in the montage, saying his bit was really good - and it's just him chilling out in a hammock, totally laid back, and is just like 'yeah, cool, whatever' when asked to re-join. That cracked me up - love Rowlf - he's just so damn laid back.

Maniacal laugh ... maniacal laugh ... maniacal laugh!

And, of course ... "mah-nah-mah-nah!"
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 29-Jan-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Ted, Safe House, Sliver, The Descendants, and The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn...
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...ucy-bears.html

A saucy teddy bear mimicking a double-jizzshot-to-the-face, Denzel Washington doing that laughy/smiley thing as Ryan Reynolds does his wide-eyed action man thing, 90's raunch and 4:3 televisions, George Clooney in sandals, and finally, barn-stormingly good action adventure with not-as-creepy-as-expected Zemeckis-style CG-motion-capture.
    I found Ted a bit average most of the time. Some nice scenes, but seemed to descend into a disney flick with adults instead of kids all too often... This includes the depth (lack) of the story too.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I found Ted a bit average most of the time. Some nice scenes, but seemed to descend into a disney flick with adults instead of kids all too often... This includes the depth (lack) of the story too.
    Each to their own, I suppose. I really rather enjoyed it, although the first hour was probably better than the second hour.

Super Moderator

UK
    Dredd, The Victim, and The Dictator:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...s-victims.html

1) Total, hardcore, full-on bloke's entertainment - so much fun I wanted to watch it again immediately.
    2) Michael Biehn stars in this low budget exploitationer that he also wrote and directed, with real-life wife Jennifer Blanc.
    3) Sacha Baron Cohen's schtick gets worn down to the nub in this rather middling comedy.

Super Moderator

UK
    Looper and Contraband:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...op-drawer.html

1) Rian "Brick" Johnson's kick arse sci-fi, crammed full of memorably nifty ideas, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis.
    2) Dull as ditchwater thriller starring Mark Wahlberg and directed by some Icelandic guy I've never heard of.

Some people have said that the make-up JGL has on in Looper is distracting, but actually I didn't find that at all. Initially it's weird because JGL doesn't look like JGL normally does, but very quickly I came to accept the look as him being a young Bruce Willis (even though I know that young Bruce Willis didn't look like that in Die Hard, but you know...) - JGL did a really good job of subtly putting various Willis-isms into his performance. The angle of an eyebrow, the head turn, the pattern of his speech, the way he holds his posture etc.

I'd highly recommend folks check out Looper ... but don't waste your time on Contraband.

Super Moderator

United States
    Dull as ditchwater thriller starring Mark Wahlberg

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post

No problems with Wahlberg in general - he's in some very good flicks (e.g. The Departed, Boogie Nights, Ted, etc), but Contraband was a right old duffter of a movie. About as interesting as a sheet of plain paper.

United States
    No problems with Wahlberg in general - he's in some very good flicks (e.g. The Departed, Boogie Nights, Ted, etc)
    You should add "Shooter" to that list too. I loved that flick.

He also, however, has a few duds on his resume, one example being "The Happening" which I think was probably the worst performance he ever put to screen.

Overall, though, I dig the dude. Hard to believe a few decades ago he was Marky Mark and was being followed around by his funky bunch.

BTW: I see via IMDB that Ted 2 has been announced. Oh dear......
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 21-Feb-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Ireland
    Yeh, 'Looper' is a great film. A really good near future sci-fi flick.

As for Marky Mark (you have to be old to get that one)...

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Lou: "Shooter" I wasn't fussed about. I can't remember a damn thing about that movie, so it didn't exactly make an impression on me. "The Happening" - yes - that movie was utter horseshit. I'm stunned that M. Night still gets to make movies when he's churning out turds like that as a matter of routine. "Ted 2" - woohoo! I loved the first movie, so I'll be well up for the second.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    BTW: I see via IMDB that Ted 2 has been announced. Oh dear......
    Indeed... Oh dear! Thought the first one had a few moments, but IMHO the rest of the time it was average and just too simple...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Lou: "Shooter" I wasn't fussed about. I can't remember a damn thing about that movie, so it didn't exactly make an impression on me.
    Bummer, I really liked that movie and thought it was pretty decent.

Yeah, have no idea how M. Night ("What a twist!" for the Robot Chicken fans out there.. ) is still able to make movies. TBH, the only movie of his I really dug (although I think the ending was cheesy) was Signs.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead
    As for Marky Mark (you have to be old to get that one)...
    Damn shootem, you're making me feel like a fossil over here!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Indeed... Oh dear! Thought the first one had a few moments, but IMHO the rest of the time it was average and just too simple...
    I'm with you Neil, I didn't care for Ted all that much either.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 22-Feb-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    What a twist!

A big Robot Chicken fan right here, Lou.

United States
    What a twist!

A big Robot Chicken fan right here, Lou.
    YES! What can I say, MZ? Great minds think alike.