Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: MZ's Movie Review Thread

Super Moderator

UK
    Django Unchained, and Argo:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...ards-bait.html

Feckin' loved Django Unchained - a really enjoyable rollercoaster of a flick that clicked fast-and-easy from savage brutality, to uproarious laughter, to kick arse shootouts (with fantastically gloopy blood geysers from KNB) ... and Argo is a three-for-three for Affleck: it had me on the edge of my seat.

Super Moderator

UK
    Resident Evil Retribution, Used Cars, and Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...evil-iffy.html

1) About as fun as a painful bowel movement, and as well-written as a child's Christmas list to Santa.
    2) Dated, but rather fun old school comedy - plus Kurt Russell's in it, and he's always awesome ... and I'd wager one certain scene was the basis for many American teenage boys' mucky fantasies back in the early 1980s.
    3) The trouble with titles like that, is that you can never fully live up to them ... this is no different.

Read on for the full skinny.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Django Unchained, and Argo:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...ards-bait.html

Feckin' loved Django Unchained - a really enjoyable rollercoaster of a flick that clicked fast-and-easy from savage brutality, to uproarious laughter, to kick arse shootouts (with fantastically gloopy blood geysers from KNB) ... and Argo is a three-for-three for Affleck: it had me on the edge of my seat.
    I loved it too! The only week spot for me was Tarantino himself...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I loved it too! The only week spot for me was Tarantino himself...
    Aye - the only mis-step in the flick - he sticks out like a sore thumb. Although he does leave the movie in a rather entertaining way.

Administrator

England
    Can you imagine Will Smith in the role? That was Tarantino 's first choice and he even offered the part to him...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Jesus, that would have been bloody awful
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Jesus, that would have been bloody awful
    Oh, I don't know... I think it could have been OK...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Room 237, and Premium Rush:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...ories-and.html

1) That bonkers documentary about deeper meanings in "The Shining" (the film), which is fascinating and frustrating in equal measure.
    2) Joseph Gordon-Levitt on a bicycle - but it's actually exciting.

Wicky-wicky-wi-wicky-wi-wild-west!

United States
    I like Smith, but I don't think he could have brought the burning intensity Foxx did for the 2nd half of the film.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I like Smith, but I don't think he could have brought the burning intensity Foxx did for the 2nd half of the film.
    I think there's also a lot of Will Smith hanging around the neck of Will Smith, if that makes sense. Jamie Foxx is a big name, but his name doesn't get in the way of his performances - with Will Smith movies I'm always aware I'm watching Will Smith, and not whatever character he's playing (or late anyway - he was good as Ali, I thought, but as he's got bigger and bigger, it's damn-near impossible for him to be anybody else bit himself in his movies). I think Foxx did a fantastic job as Django.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 16-Jun-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Party at the Hamburger Factory in ten minutes!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Agreed!

- - - Updated - - -

I think there's also a lot of Will Smith hanging around the neck of Will Smith, if that makes sense. Jamie Foxx is a big name, but his name doesn't get in the way of his performances - with Will Smith movies I'm always aware I'm watching Will Smith, and not whatever character he's playing (or late anyway - he was good as Ali, I thought, but as he's got bigger and bigger, it's damn-near impossible for him to be anybody else bit himself in his movies). I think Foxx did a fantastic job as Django.
    And agreed!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    I think there's also a lot of Will Smith hanging around the neck of Will Smith, if that makes sense.
    Actually, that is a perfect way of putting it!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    That's because he's a rubbish actor. He can only play Will Smith. He certainly doesn't have the chops that Foxx has, that's for sure.

Fresh Prince my arse.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    That's because he's a rubbish actor. He can only play Will Smith.
    Kevin Costner school of acting.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think Smith is a fine actor, the problem is just that the roles he chooses often limit what he can do. See Six Degrees of Separation, Pursuit of Happiness, even bits of I Am Legend choked me up. He's got the talent, just usually doesn't have the venue to display it.