Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: MZ's Movie Review Thread

Super Moderator

UK
    World War Z, The Purge, Frankenstein's Army, Battle Beyond The Stars, and Silent House:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/...-nonsense.html

1) A hodge-podge of CGI and slaps in the face.
    2) A movie that unhelpfully distracts you from itself throughout.
    3) Nazi Monsters + Shaky Cam.
    4) Star Wars knock-off.
    5) Elizabeth Olsen + Spooky House.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    World War Z, The Purge, Frankenstein's Army, Battle Beyond The Stars, and Silent House:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/...-nonsense.html

1) A hodge-podge of CGI and slaps in the face.
    2) A movie that unhelpfully distracts you from itself throughout.
    3) Nazi Monsters + Shaky Cam.
    4) Star Wars knock-off.
    5) Elizabeth Olsen + Spooky House.
    Battle Beyond The Stars? Always seen that more of a magnificent 7 ripoff?

It's also very very obsessed with booooobs!

His ship:-

And... well.. no explanation required:-
    NWS!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Battle Beyond The Stars? Always seen that more of a magnificent 7 ripoff?

It's also very very obsessed with booooobs!

His ship:-

And... well.. no explanation required:-
    NWS!

BBTS is a massive Star Wars rip-off in many ways ... and yeah, the main ship has a pair of tits. I couldn't believe it when I heard that, but yep, sure enough, a spaceship with a crackin' set of norks.

Also - mmm ... Sybil Danning.

Administrator

England
    BBTS is a massive Star Wars rip-off in many ways ...
    Strange... I only see it as a Star Wars rip off in the sense it was on the wave of space films made off the back of it. Still see the main story though is a total Magnificent 7 ripoff?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Strange... I only see it as a Star Wars rip off in the sense it was on the wave of space films made off the back of it. Still see the main story though is a total Magnificent 7 ripoff?
    And as a huge Roger Corman fan from way back, I've always admired how business like he is about the art of making movies. If there's a trend, he'll exploit it; while putting a spin on his own version which often plays the cliches to great affect. That's one of the reasons he's well respected by so many in Hollywood, as well as movie buffs like me. Battle was just great fun, and that's all that matters.

Super Moderator

UK
    Young blonde haired farm boy goes off into space to take on a big bad, planet-destroying bad guy ... has a wise old sage who dies ... meets a beautiful young woman (minus the surprise incest, of course) ... meets a rogue space cowboy who likes to do things his way ... the "Varda" religion/code (this film's version of "the Force") ... space ships, lasers, battles etc.

I've not actually seen The Magnificent Seven yet, so there may well be elements of that in there, but BBTS has so many Star Wars elements littered throughout.

Don't get me wrong, I might say "massive rip off", but that doesn't mean I hate the movie - certainly not - but it is funny to see how many elements they half-inched from Lucas' flick.

Administrator

England
    Young blonde haired farm boy goes off into space to take on a big bad, planet-destroying bad guy ... has a wise old sage who dies ... meets a beautiful young woman (minus the surprise incest, of course) ... meets a rogue space cowboy who likes to do things his way ... the "Varda" religion/code (this film's version of "the Force") ... space ships, lasers, battles etc.

I've not actually seen The Magnificent Seven yet, so there may well be elements of that in there, but BBTS has so many Star Wars elements littered throughout.

Don't get me wrong, I might say "massive rip off", but that doesn't mean I hate the movie - certainly not - but it is funny to see how many elements they half-inched from Lucas' flick.
    Well, in the M7 a member of a poor village goes off to hire (beg) help from professional killers to defend their village from a marauding villain... Sound familiar too?

EDIT: It even mentions it in the first paragraph here too actually. So I'm not alone - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Beyond_the_Stars
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, in the M7 a member of a poor village goes off to hire (beg) help from professional killers to defend their village from a marauding villain... Sound familiar too?

EDIT: It even mentions it in the first paragraph here too actually. So I'm not alone - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Beyond_the_Stars
    Fair enough.

Having not seen M7 yet, I wasn't hip to the similarities ... but BBTS does have loads of SW elements as well.

Administrator

England
    ... but BBTS does have loads of SW elements as well.
    ...with extra boobs!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    ...with extra boobs!
    haha, well, in a family friendly manner anyway.

I've got "Galaxy of Terror" on the to do list as well, which is a Corman version of "Alien".

Super Moderator

UK
    An epic and grubby five-piece exploitation movie bumper review! - "99 Women", "Women Behind Bars", "Bare Behind Bars", "Sadomania", and "Amazon Jail" - sultry, ridiculous, savage, weird!
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/...derground.html

Bombastic, low budget, sometimes shocking, occasionally grotesque, it's a wild-eyed world of hot bodies, cold steel, burning passions and animalistic insanity.

Ireland
    Jesus h christ...

..go and wash yourself.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Jesus h christ...

..go and wash yourself.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Jesus h christ...

..go and wash yourself.

After all that sleeze not good enough. You missed a spot.

Ireland
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....