Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 511

Thread: MZ's Movie Review Thread

  1. #16
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,204
    UK
    Pumpkinhead, Red Scorpion, and Faster:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/02...going-old.html

  2. #17
    Just Married AcesandEights's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    7,476
    United States
    OMG, MZ...you sat though Red Scorpion? Were you drunk...or out of bullets?

    Such a good general idea for an action film (sovietski shootem up), but oh, man the execution

    "Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

  3. #18
    Chasing Prey clanglee's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fort Mill SC
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,133
    United States
    Ohhhh. . .One Crazy Summer!! I loved that movie! Not as much as better off Dead but just great wacky 80's fun. Apparently Savage Steve Holland is doing nothing but TV directing now. . mostly kids stuff. . .which is weird, but kinda makes sense. MZ if you ever get a chance you should watch his other movie and complete the trilogy. . .so to speak. How I got Into College is his weakest offer, but still fun.

    -- -------- Post added at 04:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 AM ----------

    Inspired me to change my avatar!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

  4. #19
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,204
    UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    OMG, MZ...you sat though Red Scorpion? Were you drunk...or out of bullets?

    Such a good general idea for an action film (sovietski shootem up), but oh, man the execution
    haha! It was only because I saw that Arrow were putting out a release of it, and it just happened to be on Moves4Men, so I gave it a spin out of interest - but yeah - goddamn it gets really boring in the second act. Starts off well, ends well, but the whole middle bit is so ponderous and relatively low key, and it just doesn't suit this movie at all. The sequence with the truck and Long Tall Sally playing was really good fun, and the final set piece at the Soviet camp was great fun too, but the rest was so slow (even with interspersed orgies of explosions and bullets).

    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Ohhhh. . .One Crazy Summer!! I loved that movie! Not as much as better off Dead but just great wacky 80's fun. Apparently Savage Steve Holland is doing nothing but TV directing now. . mostly kids stuff. . .which is weird, but kinda makes sense. MZ if you ever get a chance you should watch his other movie and complete the trilogy. . .so to speak. How I got Into College is his weakest offer, but still fun.
    Yeah I preferred Better Off Dead to One Crazy Summer as well ... will keep an eye out for How I Got Into College for the future.

    The man certainly had a very unique style in his movies, I'll say that, but then coming to the flicks long after the fact, and not being at the right age for them to really mean anything to me, makes them curios rather than anything more. I could imagine them being fond memories for those who were teens when they were released though.

    -- -------- Post added 23-Feb-2012 at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was 22-Feb-2012 at 10:51 AM ----------

    Fright (1971, Peter Collinson):
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/02...971-movie.html

    A review of the classic British horror movie which predates many of the genre elements that would become synonymous with the slasher sub-genre - and it's got the lovely Susan George in it.

  5. #20
    Just Married AcesandEights's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    7,476
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah I preferred Better Off Dead to One Crazy Summer as well ... will keep an eye out for How I Got Into College for the future.
    Aw, man. Good call from Clang on this one and I agree with you, MZ. Better Off Dead stands on its own in the pantheon of 80s teen flicks, not at the top, but still stands out and stands its own ground.

    "Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

  6. #21
    Chasing Prey MoonSylver's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Oh
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,467
    United States
    One Crazy Summer: Bobcat Goldthwait as Godzilla = One of the greatest events in motion picture history:







    As a lifelong Godzilla fan, that's some funny shit.

  7. #22
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,204
    UK
    Moon - you're damn right - Bobcat as Godzilla was the stand-out sequence in that movie for me.

  8. #23
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,204
    UK
    All in the Game (Gary Ugarek, 2011):
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/03...11-review.html

    The latest film from our fellow HPOTD'er DjfunkmasterG - full review with screenshots.

    ...

    Barton Fink, and The Company Men:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/03...arch-2012.html

  9. #24
    pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Deadlands, USA
    Age
    46
    Posts
    7,650
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    All in the Game (Gary Ugarek, 2011):
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/03...11-review.html

    The latest film from our fellow HPOTD'er DjfunkmasterG - full review with screenshots.
    GREAT REVIEW MZ, Thanks for taking the time to sit through my genre shift. Glad you enjoyed it. Micaiah is ecstatic about it too.
    Hey you woodchucks... quit chucking my wood!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

  10. #25
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,204
    UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    GREAT REVIEW MZ, Thanks for taking the time to sit through my genre shift. Glad you enjoyed it. Micaiah is ecstatic about it too.
    It certainly stuck in my head - I've been thinking about it since I watched it, so that's a good thing indeed.

    Aye - Micaiah was utterly mental in the movie (in a good way, of course) - everytime he just flipped out and did his thing was awesome, and a great counter balance to Clanton and Irizarry's more calculating performances - the latters were like chess players with an edge, while the former was like the muscle, the back-up brute swinging his mace and looking to crack skulls and take names.

    -- -------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

    Dellamorte Dellamore (Michele Soavi, 1993) DVD Review:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/03...oavi-1993.html

    Replete with a bunch of screenshots, this is a DVD review of the brand new 2012 DVD release (first time ever on UK DVD, and by Shameless Screen Entertainment) of what is commonly known in English speaking countries as The Cemetery Man. Enjoy.

  11. #26
    pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Deadlands, USA
    Age
    46
    Posts
    7,650
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It certainly stuck in my head - I've been thinking about it since I watched it, so that's a good thing indeed.

    Aye - Micaiah was utterly mental in the movie (in a good way, of course) - everytime he just flipped out and did his thing was awesome, and a great counter balance to Clanton and Irizarry's more calculating performances - the latters were like chess players with an edge, while the former was like the muscle, the back-up brute swinging his mace and looking to crack skulls and take names.[COLOR="Silver"]
    That was the intent, and with every day of shooting I just kept asking him to be more intense... and try to have a very short fuse. My favorite scene is in the beginning when they take down the other crew and when a member from the other crew shoots at him he throws his bat and hits him dead on, and says "F*CK WRONG WITH YOU SHOOTING AT ME!!!!"
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 04-Mar-2012 at 02:12 AM. Reason: added shit/.
    Hey you woodchucks... quit chucking my wood!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

  12. #27
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,204
    UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    That was the intent, and with every day of shooting I just kept asking him to be more intense... and try to have a very short fuse. My favorite scene is in the beginning when they take down the other crew and when a member from the other crew shoots at him he throws his bat and hits him dead on, and says "FUCK WRONG WITH YOU SHOOTING AT ME!!!!"
    hahaha, yeah, I loved that bit.

  13. #28
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,204
    UK
    "Senna", and "F":
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/03...s-hoodies.html

    The Bafta-winning documentary about the Formula 1 driver who died at Imola in 1994, and an entry in the British 'hoody horror' sub-genre.

  14. #29
    Dying paranoid101's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    UK
    Age
    46
    Posts
    298
    Great Britain
    Just watched Senna on friday on sky, loved it, not really a follower of F1 but the film is outstanding.

  15. #30
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,204
    UK
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Just watched Senna on friday on sky, loved it, not really a follower of F1 but the film is outstanding.
    Aye. I've never really watched F1, it seems like such a huge 'world' (if you will) to access ... like not getting into a TV show because there's been like 200 episodes before you find out about it ... but I do respect it and can easily find it fascinating with all the technological tweaking and so on. As I said, the best documentaries can take a laymen and allow them to experience the same thrills as an impassioned follower of the subject matter. I got really wrapped up in the Senna doc once it got rolling, and the filmmakers did a great job of tying it together as a narrative too - particularly his evolving relationship with Alain Prost as his main rival, and the internal politics of F1.

    A spiffing doc, and no doubt put on Sky Movies just in time for the coming 2012 season of F1 - along with Sky's new F1 channel, which is no doubt seeking to capitalise on the popularity and success of the Senna doc.

    I've never really been one for watching sport though to be honest. I did follow the rally season that saw Colin McRae win for the first time in 1995 however. Cutting out press clippings and watching it every night on TV etc, but yeah, never been much into sport in general, be it motor racing or rugby or what have you. Maybe I'll dabble more in F1 this season...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •