Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: MZ's Movie Review Thread

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You seem to be watching a particular *sort* of film recently MZ!?
    For all you know "Ilsa: The Wicked Warden" could be about a devilish traffic warden on a rampage of ticketting parked cars a second after their time expires, tearing through the streets like a parking enforcement banshee.

Or maybe not.

Just in a bit of a 70s exploitation groove at the moment ... although last week I also ploughed through the extended editions of The Lord of the Rings, so it's not all grindhouse jubblies.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I also ploughed through the extended editions of The Lord of the Rings
    I love those flicks!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I love those flicks!

Me too. Whenever I wanna cure my mania I watch them.

Super Moderator

UK
    I love those flicks!
    I hadn't seen them in several years, and seeing as I'd just wrapped up the three Hobbit movies, I figured it was the ideal time to re-watch TLOTR. Watching them that way you can see that Peter Jackson was not only making an adaptation of The Hobbit, he was also making an introduction to the world of Middle Earth and a set up to TLOTR.

Anyway, on TLOTR specifically ... I think Fellowship is the best all-round movie of the three (although, it's funny now that I see it - just like An Unexpected Journey - it takes 40-45 minutes to leave the Shire), however my favourite part of all three films is the Battle of Helm's Deep without a doubt. I've often thought of Two Towers as being my favourite of the movies, but I'm reconsidering it. Naturally being the middle chapter it lacks the beginning of Fellowship, and the ending of Return, and I have to say all the stuff with the Ents is my least favourite part of all three movies. Everytime they cut away to them from Helm's Deep I just wanna get back to Helm's Deep ... except for the last time they do so and the Ents take down Saruman, which was good.

Now, Return of the King, arguably it's a bit too long at four hours in the extended form (e.g. it becomes a bit frustrating when Frodo and Sam are taking ages to climb up Mount Doom, I get that it's a big struggle, but that point was made too often and it got a bit distracting, like, "just get up the sodding hill and chuck the ring in the lava!") ... but Minas Tirith looks amazing, and the Battle of Pelenor Field is pretty damn great (although Helm's Deep still wins out in my view), and even though there's "lots of endings", frankly, when you've gone on such a huge journey with all these characters - and with a new age dawning in Middle Earth - you want to see what happens to all these characters in something more than just a throw away shot or a title card, so I was fine with the multiple endings.

Ultimately though, like with the Back to the Future movies, I view TLOTR films as one giant movie split into three parts and they all work better together than apart. Yes, Fellowship is the best of the three on their own individual terms, but each movie contains their own hugely important elements of the story.

And on a more grindhousey vibe, here's an updated version of an overview of the Ilsa trilogy that I did a while back:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...a-edition.html

Likewise, an updated version of a DVD review of a Roger Corman WIP collection (The Big Doll House / Women In Cages / The Big Bird Cage):
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2011/...cs-triple.html

Just in case things were starting to get a little bit mainstream around here.

United States
    Ilsa: The Wicked Warden (Jess Franco, 1977):
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2015/...anco-1977.html

The unofficial Ilsa movie (Dyanne Thorne's character is actually called Greta), in which there's enough sleazy muckiness to sate even MoonSylver's appetite.
    You sure about that?

I remember doing a marathon of "She-Wolf of the SS/Wicked Warden/Keeper of the Oil Sheik's Harem" years ago in the golden age of VHS & dubbing them off onto one cassette...good times...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    You sure about that?

I remember doing a marathon of "She-Wolf of the SS/Wicked Warden/Keeper of the Oil Sheik's Harem" years ago in the golden age of VHS & dubbing them off onto one cassette...good times...
    Haven't you seen Tigress of Siberia? That's my personal favourite. Produced by none other than a young Ivan Reitman.

United States
    Haven't you seen Tigress of Siberia? That's my personal favourite. Produced by none other than a young Ivan Reitman.
    Not that I recall...it's been about 27 years or so though, but I'm pretty sure the aforementioned 3 were it.

Now you have me curious.

Super Moderator

UK
    Dead Snow 2: Red vs Dead, and The Sweeney:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2015/...ead-nazis.html

1) "Ein! Zwei! Die!" was a pretty great tagline, and "The sequel you did Nazi coming!" is just as good.
    2) Ray Winstone calls everyone "slags" and then punches them in the face.

Super Moderator

UK
    Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire, and In Fear:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2015/...gs-aliens.html

1) Scarlett Johansson gets her kit off in an arty way to lure unsuspecting Glaswegians into a pitch black pit of death.
    2) Well oiled, buff dudes in capes and leather pants stab each other in slow motion.
    3) Creepy goings on befall a couple who promptly get utterly lost in the countryside.

Super Moderator

UK
    Fraulein Kitty (Peter Rohmm, 1977):
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2015/...77-review.html

A rip-off smashing together of ideas from "Ilsa: She-Wolf of the SS", "Salon Kitty", and "Hitler's Last Train" ... Elsa's got claws, but she's no She-Wolf.

Super Moderator

UK
    Hitler's Last Train (Alain Payet, 1977):
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2015/...ayet-1977.html

Pretty much the same movie as Fraulein Kitty, right down to the rickety sets and opening titles font, but worse ... and much longer.

Administrator

England
    Hitler's Last Train (Alain Payet, 1977):
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2015/...ayet-1977.html

Pretty much the same movie as Fraulein Kitty, right down to the rickety sets and opening titles font, but worse ... and much longer.
    "...if they just trimmed away all the bums, boobs, and bush, then you'd have to wonder why on earth you'd bother watching it." - You are my hero!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    "...if they just trimmed away all the bums, boobs, and bush, then you'd have to wonder why on earth you'd bother watching it." - You are my hero!
    Well it's about time somebody said it!

As iffy as this movie was, I have to admit I had quite a lot of fun reviewing it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Maps To The Stars, and The Art Of The Steal:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2015/...-maps-and.html

1) 'Hollyweird' by way of David Cronenberg.
    2) Comedy crime caper set in Canada and starring Kurt Russell.

Super Moderator

UK
    Nightcrawler, Godzilla, and A Million Ways To Die In The West:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2015/...ngs-gaunt.html

1) Top form Gyllenhaal ups the creep factor.
    2) Where the f*ck is he?
    3) If you're liable to giggle at a man violently shitting into a hat, then this is probably worth your time.