Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: MZ's Movie Review Thread

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    It's a terrible, terrible film, but one that I am strangely drawn to. I come back to it every few years for some odd reason, even though I know it's complete tosh.

There are far better films that I've seen only once!
    It's a great premise. ie: Scifi vampires all tied up with Haleys Comet etc etc + boobs!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    It's a terrible, terrible film, but one that I am strangely drawn to. I come back to it every few years for some odd reason, even though I know it's complete tosh.

There are far better films that I've seen only once!
    "Better" versus "more enjoyable" really, isn't it? The former doesn't necessarily trump the latter.

I've seen many films that are very worthy, well made, and/or Oscar winners - but I might only watch them once - whereas there could be a movie that was absolutely shat on by critics and/or audiences, and possibly bombed at the box office, and I'll watch it several times - but I'll also see things in it that 'the mainstream' did not, or that sniffy critics didn't see in it etc.

In some regards it's very sloppy, and it doesn't make an awful lot of sense sometimes, but it's got so many fantastic elements that just bring a smile to your face. It's enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It's a great premise. ie: Scifi vampires all tied up with Haleys Comet etc etc + boobs!
    Everything can be improved/tied together with boobs.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Good news for the TV series then!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Good news for the TV series then!
    It'll be interesting to see whether the TV show will have all the sequels as cannon or not - and it'd be great if Earl and Burt were back in the fold, too! Very little info on the ground at the moment, but more Tremors is a-ok by me!

Super Moderator

UK
    The Final Girls (Todd Strauss-Schulson, 2015) DVD Review:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2016/...-schulson.html

What would you do if you ended up inside your favourite slasher movie?

Super Moderator

UK
    Turbo Kid:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2016/...ni-review.html

It's 'BMX Bandits' meets 'Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior' by way of a pale-skinned youth spent locked inside with a stack of exploitation flicks rented from the local video store!

Super Moderator

UK
    Chillerama (Green/Lynch/Rifkin/Sullivan, 2011) DVD Review:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2016/...nsullivan.html

Featuring Werebears, a nymphomaniac Eva Braun, an enormous killer spermatozoa, and an outbreak of horny zombies – which accounts for just the tip of the bizarre idea iceberg – Chillerama is, to put it mildly, just a little bit strange...

Super Moderator

UK
    The Girl Who Knew Too Much (Mario Bava, 1963):
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2016/...ario-bava.html

The first ever giallo film - and featuring John Saxon.

Super Moderator

UK
    Texas Chainsaw:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2016/...ni-review.html

A space/time continuum-busting direct sequel to Tobe Hooper's original TCM, in which an infant from 1973 grows up forty years later to be in her mid-twenties.

Super Moderator

UK
    Five Dolls For An August Moon (Mario Bava, 1970):
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2016/...ario-bava.html

An earlier role for gialli queen Edwige Fenech in this Italian spin on Ten Little Indians, directed - 'under protest' - by Mario Bava.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 05-Feb-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    V/H/S: Viral - a rant/review:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2016/...antreview.html

Remember how the second movie was a considerable step up in quality over the first? Well the third is a gargantuan step down...

Super Moderator

UK
    Rabid Dogs (Mario Bava, 1974) Blu-Ray/DVD Review:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2016/...lu-raydvd.html

A late-in-his-career blast of contemporary crime thriller violence from the horror auteur, which was lost - remaining unseen - in a legal limbo for more than twenty years.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    V/H/S: Viral - a rant/review:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2016/...antreview.html

Remember how the second movie was a considerable step up in quality over the first? Well the third is a gargantuan step down...
    Oh dear!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh dear!
    Innit! "V/H/S: Viral" is best avoided. Even at three quid it was a complete waste of money.