Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: MZ's Movie Review Thread

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    What a brilliant film! One of the best giallo's I've seen.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    What a brilliant film! One of the best giallo's I've seen.

Glad you enjoyed it, Ned. I absolutely loved it.

And while I remember...

Nude Nuns With Big Guns, The Mangler, American Grindhouse, Nightmares in Red White and Blue, and Badlands:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...ns-killer.html

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    [B]Nude Nuns With Big Guns
    Now THAT'S a 'habit' I'd like to get into..

*taps microphone* IS THIS THING ON?!?!

I've always wanted to see this flick based on the title alone. Now I gotta go read MZ's review before I do - I'd hate to get stuck with a 'habit' I don't like.

*taps microphone again* IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE?!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Now THAT'S a 'habit' I'd like to get into..

*taps microphone* IS THIS THING ON?!?!

I've always wanted to see this flick based on the title alone. Now I gotta go read MZ's review before I do - I'd hate to get stuck with a 'habit' I don't like.

*taps microphone again* IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE?!

Puntastic, Lou, puntastic.

The flick itself, well ... here's what I said about it:

http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...ns-killer.html
    Nude Nuns With Big Guns:
    What's it about?
    If you can't figure it out from the title, then you've little hope for the future.
    Who would I recognise in it?
    Nobody, unless you've seen Run! Bitch Run!
    Great/Good/Alright/Shite?
    If flattery is the highest form of compliment, then Robert Rodriguez must be blushing, because Guzman & Co have unrepentently ripped-off his ouvre - particularly Grindhouse (even the music from the opening sequence is highly influenced/half-inched from RR's ode to the sleaze flicks of 42nd Street). The presentation is much improved over Guzman's previous flick, the aforementioned Run! Bitch Run! (which was highly indebted to The Last House on the Left, and I Spit On Your Grave), although it too is utterly indebted to the work of others - but even still, for a low budget faux-grindhouse flick such as this mean-spirited outing, it's put together well enough to not distract from the onslaught of bared flesh and brandished firearms. The script is a bit thin (unsurprisingly, as you might imagine), yet heftier than RBR's, and the pacing is sometimes a bit slow, but it certainly passes the Ronseal test - it does exactly what it says on the tin ... it's just a shame that Joseph Guzman, Robert James Hayes II, and company, are seemingly such unashamed rip-off merchants in the process. Alright.
    A mean-spirited, total rip-off, passing fancy for-what-it-is, for the running time. Worth a watch for fans of sleazy indies and the faux-grindhouse movement ... but blimey is it unoriginal.

-- -------- Post added 02-Jun-2012 at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was 31-May-2012 at 06:50 PM ----------

Prometheus:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...3d-review.html

The review is spoiler free.

Super Moderator

UK
    Stakeland, Arthur, and Get Carter:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...ps-drinks.html

Vampires get the zombie apocalypse treatment, Russell Brand does his best Dudley Moore impression, and Michael Caine was a double-hard bastard in the 1971...

...and in case you missed it:

Prometheus 3D (spoiler free):

United States
    A mean-spirited, total rip-off, passing fancy for-what-it-is, for the running time. Worth a watch for fans of sleazy indies and the faux-grindhouse movement ... but blimey is it unoriginal.
    Yes, but are there lots of boobs, MZ? That's what matters, not the "story line"

BTW: That's a mighty fine avatar you've got going on there.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 15-Jun-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Naked Nun Boob Bacon!

Super Moderator

UK
    Yes, but are there lots of boobs, MZ? That's what matters, not the "story line"

BTW: That's a mighty fine avatar you've got going on there.
    Thanks, I fancied a change in avatar and dug around my achives for a change-up.

As for the bewb count in Nude Nuns With Big Guns ... heh ... naturally there's a lot of them flopping about (or indeed standing there without moving, if they're not terribly well-done fakes). If that's all you want out of it, then you'll probably be happy.

Stakeland, Arthur, and Get Carter:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...ps-drinks.html

Vampires get the zombie apocalypse treatment, Russell Brand does his best Dudley Moore impression, and Michael Caine was a double-hard bastard in the 1971...

...and in case you missed it:

Prometheus 3D (spoiler free):

United States
    If that's all you want out of it, then you'll probably be happy.
    Dude, that's all I ever ask for. An abundance of boobage.

Super Moderator

UK
    Dude, that's all I ever ask for. An abundance of boobage.
    You might say - major boobage.

Super Moderator

UK
    Fright Night (2011), Planet of the Apes (1968), and 30 Minutes Or Less:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...-apes-and.html

Yes - I've finally got around to viewing Planet of the Apes.

-- -------- Post added 01-Jul-2012 at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was 25-Jun-2012 at 05:31 PM ----------

We Need To Talk About Kevin, Poltergeist II: The Other Side, and Deranged:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...ightmares.html

I'd highly recommend checking out We Need To Talk About Kevin ... it's not a cheery film, but it is well worth seeing ... and I was pleasantly surprised to find that Roberts Blossom (who plays Ezra Cobb in Deranged) played old man Marley in Home Alone! I thought his voice and pattern of speech was familiar.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    While most people don't share this opinion, i've always prefered Poltergeist III out of the two sequels. The third film really branched out and tried to be it's own movie rather than being another "The Other Side" - attempting, and failing, to duplicate the story of the first film.

The only thing I've ever taken away from the second film is, as you mentioned, Father Kane. That was an inspired casting decision, but it didn't really do anything to help the other troubled aspects of the film. So if you haven't seen the third film, let us know what you think of it when you do.

As for Planet of the Apes - Any plans to visit the four sequels? While I've never liked the first sequel, Beneath, the other three are great slices of scifi. My favorite is Conquest, which takes the series in a VERY dark direction and like any great piece of scifi, uses the story to make some statements on our own society. Escape is also fun because of it's different setting(Cornelius and Zira travel back in time to visit the 70's) that kinda turned the series on it's head. Escape is also the beginning of the writers trying to tie the story back around to the original film, making the entire series one giant loop that comes back to the start. You should check the whole series out. While there are a couple missteps, the majority of the series is very entertaining. The "40 Year Evolution" blu ray box set can be found for very cheap these days and includes TONS of fascinating features. I highly recommend it.
    Last edited by bassman; 02-Jul-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, I will have to check out Poltergeist III when it comes around sometime, and I have been eyeing up the Planet of the Apes boxset (not sure yet if our set matches your set - we often get screwed on extras in things like that, for example our "Complete Deadwood" is just the episodes and no extras, while in America you've got a whole bunch of extras) ... so I'll look into that, methinks. I was certainly very impressed with the first film - and I was also very impressed with the recent "Rise of..." flick (which was the first Apes movie I ever saw) - so yeah, I'll look into the boxset as it'd certainly prove easier viewing that waiting for them to roll around on Sky Movies, and I think they've only got the rights to one or two of them as it is.

-- -------- Post added 07-Jul-2012 at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was 02-Jul-2012 at 06:30 PM ----------

The Divide:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...ie-review.html

I gave this post-apocalyptic thriller starring Michael Biehn a spin ... find out if it's worth your time.

-- -------- Post added 12-Jul-2012 at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was 07-Jul-2012 at 06:49 PM ----------

Friends With Benefits, and Broadcast News:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...nefitting.html

The former is from the director of Easy A, starring Justin Timberlake, Mila Kunis, and Woody Harrelson, while the latter is from James L. Brooks and stars Holly Hunter, Albert Brooks, and William Hurt.

-- -------- Post added 14-Jul-2012 at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was 12-Jul-2012 at 05:50 PM ----------

The Rum Diary, and Sideways:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...gs-breezy.html

A double dose of booze-fuelled movie viewings today - an adapatation of Hunter S. Thompson's novel, and 2004's wine-dramedy from Alexander "The Descendants" Payne...

Super Moderator

UK
    The Dark Knight Rises:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...iler-free.html

I seriously struggled to get to sleep last night after seeing the film, because I just couldn't stop thinking about it.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

As for Planet of the Apes - Any plans to visit the four sequels? While I've never liked the first sequel, Beneath, the other three are great slices of scifi. My favorite is Conquest, which takes the series in a VERY dark direction and like any great piece of scifi, uses the story to make some statements on our own society. Escape is also fun because of it's different setting(Cornelius and Zira travel back in time to visit the 70's) that kinda turned the series on it's head. Escape is also the beginning of the writers trying to tie the story back around to the original film, making the entire series one giant loop that comes back to the start. You should check the whole series out. While there are a couple missteps, the majority of the series is very entertaining. The "40 Year Evolution" blu ray box set can be found for very cheap these days and includes TONS of fascinating features. I highly recommend it.
    One very interesting thing about Escape is the introduction of The Paradox ( which has never been written about, to my knowledge. )

It comes when Cornelus explains the history behind the rise of the apes ( as he knows it ) to the government spooks. The post plague ( which wiped out the cats and dogs ) domestication and enslavement of primates spanned at least a hundred (if not hundreds of years. ) culiminating in a revolution lead by a gorilla named Aldo who was the first ape to say 'No. '

The birth of Caesar changed that dramatically, perhaps ultimately for the better?

Way Zim

Ireland
    The Dark Knight Rises:

I seriously struggled to get to sleep last night after seeing the film, because I just couldn't stop thinking about it.

Jesus....that bad eh?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....