Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 529

Thread: MZ's Movie Review Thread

  1. #1
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,351
    UK

    Post MZ's Movie Review Thread

    Rather than post my thoughts on varous movies separately and talk about them all in a way that's scattered all over the forum, I figured it'd be a good idea to collect them all together in one place, and from time to time I'll post up new reviews that I've done.

    You fine folks can chip in with your thoughts on the movies, or perhaps you'll read about a movie that takes your interest. Anyway - to get things started...

    The Thing (2011):
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01...n-jr-2011.html

    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011), Young Frankenstein, Silent Night Deadly Night 2, and The Green Hornet:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01...-new-year.html

    The Informers, The Ward, and Rango:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01...-nuthouse.html

    Killer Nun (Giulio Berruti, 1979) DVD Review:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01...-1979-dvd.html
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 19-Jan-2012 at 05:54 PM.

  2. #2
    crackin' eggs of wisdom bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    14,190
    United States
    I haven't seen the Swedish version, but was quite pleased with Fincher's Tattoo. While the movie itself was great in typical Fincher excellence, I just can't forget the opening sequence. As I've mentioned to you before, it felt like the best James Bond intro ever. Only...ya know....not. Throw in the cool cover of Immigrant Song and it was a very memorable part of the movie.

    I too recently saw Rango and LOVED it. It felt so rare to see a great cgi childrens film that didn't have the word PIXAR and Luxo junior bouncing across the screen. Lots of good laughs for the adults, as well.


    And I know i've said it to you before, but dude....I just don't see how you're just now viewing Young Frankenstein. That movie has been engraved in my brain for as long as I remember. Easily the best of Brooks' work. Blazing Saddles comes a close second. You have seen other movies from Brooks, right?
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Jan-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: .

  3. #3
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,351
    UK
    Bass - aye I agree on the opening of Fincher's Tattoo - it was superb. Great music, superb visuals - the perfect way to open the movie ... can't wait to see that sequence again (and perhaps a little featurette regarding it?) on the Blu-Ray that'll I'll inevitably purchase for it.

    Yeah, I was really impressed with Rango - right up there with Pixar in my view - and it was surprisingly at ease with killing off characters. Not in a light-hearted way, but it also didn't tip-toe around the darker elements of the plot, which I thought made it all the more impressive.

    And yes - I have seen other Mel Brooks movies (including Blazing Saddles) ... you cheeky monkey. So many movies, so little time ... what movies haven't you seen that you really should have by now? I'm sure there must be something we'll all gasp at - come on, 'fess up.

  4. #4
    Dead wayzim's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    627
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Bass - aye I agree on the opening of Fincher's Tattoo - it was superb. Great music, superb visuals - the perfect way to open the movie ... can't wait to see that sequence again (and perhaps a little featurette regarding it?) on the Blu-Ray that'll I'll inevitably purchase for it.

    Yeah, I was really impressed with Rango - right up there with Pixar in my view - and it was surprisingly at ease with killing off characters. Not in a light-hearted way, but it also didn't tip-toe around the darker elements of the plot, which I thought made it all the more impressive.

    And yes - I have seen other Mel Brooks movies (including Blazing Saddles) ... you cheeky monkey. So many movies, so little time ... what movies haven't you seen that you really should have by now? I'm sure there must be something we'll all gasp at - come on, 'fess up.
    But - But - next to Blazing Saddles and The Original Movie Version of The Producers (I'll put Kenneth Mars' Nazi against Will Farrell's Nazi - in a grudge cage match, and we'll see who comes out alive. ), Young Frankenstein ( that's Frawnken steen ) is the most spot on movie Brooks has ever made. And the hysterical cameo by (Hey you know who that was behind the old man beard - Right? ) moment - as well as Those Great Knockers ( Thank you Doctor ) Woof!

    Better late then never, now walk this way - no, This - Way.

    Wayne Z
    "Because my grandfather's work was Doo Doo! "

  5. #5
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,351
    UK
    Review of Sergio Martino's excellent giallo flick "Torso: Carnal Violence" - http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01...vd-review.html

    -- -------- Post added 21-Jan-2012 at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was 20-Jan-2012 at 11:56 AM ----------

    Review of Aldo Lado's deliciously dark 'rape and revenge' movie "Night Train Murders" - http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01...lado-1974.html

    And folks of HPOTD - feel free to join in on this thread to post reviews and thoughts of movies you've seen recently.

  6. #6
    Webmaster Neil's Avatar
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    nr London
    Posts
    14,249
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)
    Which should I watch then? The original or the remake?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

  7. #7
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,351
    UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Which should I watch then? The original or the remake?
    Hmmm ... well, I dug them both and I think they're both worth seeing ... as for which to see first, now that's a toughie. You could perhaps get the Swedish film on DVD for quite cheap and see that first ... but then again the American one is still in cinemas right now. They both do some things slightly differently, but there's many things the same about them - they're different angles on the same source, if that makes sense. Whichever one you watch second you'll know what's going to happen in advance ... so all-in-all, I'd say see the Swedish one first as it was the first version (and I'm sure you can nab it for cheap, or indeed rent it readily).

  8. #8
    Webmaster Neil's Avatar
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    nr London
    Posts
    14,249
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Hmmm ... well, I dug them both and I think they're both worth seeing ... as for which to see first, now that's a toughie. You could perhaps get the Swedish film on DVD for quite cheap and see that first ... but then again the American one is still in cinemas right now. They both do some things slightly differently, but there's many things the same about them - they're different angles on the same source, if that makes sense. Whichever one you watch second you'll know what's going to happen in advance ... so all-in-all, I'd say see the Swedish one first as it was the first version (and I'm sure you can nab it for cheap, or indeed rent it readily).
    I've also been told I need to read the book first?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

  9. #9
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,351
    UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I've also been told I need to read the book first?
    Not necessarily - I watched both versions and haven't read any of the books - my Dad has read them all, so he did provide little bits of filler information here and there, but even without that I still understood what was going on just fine.

    If you're the sort of bloke who likes to read the book first and then see the film, then you might want to do that, but on the other hand if you're not necessarily fussed either way then see the Swedish film first.

    -- -------- Post added 27-Jan-2012 at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was 22-Jan-2012 at 11:42 AM ----------

    Limitless, and The Adjustment Bureau:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01...-brain-on.html

    Both not perfect, but both jolly good fun.

    -- -------- Post added 29-Jan-2012 at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was 27-Jan-2012 at 11:27 AM ----------

    Red State, and Drive:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01...ing-up-on.html

    I loved both of them - but what did you folks make of them?

  10. #10
    pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Deadlands, USA
    Age
    46
    Posts
    7,650
    United States
    Liked Limitless

    Hated Red State

    Loved Drive

    Enjoyed Real Steel

    Thought In Time was just ok...

    Haven't seen The Adjustment Bureau

    Liked Killer Elite
    Hey you woodchucks... quit chucking my wood!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

  11. #11
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,351
    UK
    The Woodsman, and Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01...ngs-polar.html

    The former stars Kevin Bacon as Walter, a paedophile on parole, and the latter is so goddamned boring...

    Anyone here seen either of these flicks?

    -- -------- Post added 06-Feb-2012 at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was 30-Jan-2012 at 07:18 PM ----------

    The Ghost, and One Crazy Summer:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/02...uary-2012.html

    The former is a pretty decent Roman Polanski thriller starring Ewan McGregor - and includes a role played by Jon Bernthal, TWD fans - and the latter is an utterly barmy 'romantic farce' which was summed up back in the day as 'Better Off Dead Goes To The Beach'.

  12. #12
    crackin' eggs of wisdom bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    14,190
    United States
    Just catching up with your review of Drive. Nicely done.

    I've just watched the film for the third time this past weekend. Still loved every second of it and even picked up on some things that I had missed before.

    I absolutely adore Drive. Possibly my #1 film of last year. Definitely in the top five...

  13. #13
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,351
    UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Just catching up with your review of Drive. Nicely done.

    I've just watched the film for the third time this past weekend. Still loved every second of it and even picked up on some things that I had missed before.

    I absolutely adore Drive. Possibly my #1 film of last year. Definitely in the top five...
    Aye, like I was saying in the blog post, had I seen this movie in 2011 it would have easily been in my Top Ten 2011 flicks - but as it was I was a bit later to the game as I ended up having to wait for the home video release, and while the UK Blu-Ray is shafted on the extras front (the Q&A does have some interesting moments - even if the moderator gets in the way too many times - but I wanted some featurettes, but alas no...) it looks absolutely lovely on BR. Such a stylish flick, and I really dig how the central love story is so chaste and innocent - like I was saying, a meeting of hands on a gear stick is far more electrifying in this movie than a sweaty hump up against a wall or whatever could have ever been.

  14. #14
    Just Married AcesandEights's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    7,476
    United States
    Wow, One Crazy Summer...You were certainly back digging in the crates to pull this one out, MZ! I always liked the movie, though it's been awhile since I sat through it (it's been popping back up again on basic cable the last year or two though). It's fun and pretty decent, but I think pretty pedestrian for an 80s flick with the likes of Cusack.

    Have you ever seen The Sure Thing, MZ? If I had to choose between those two 80s Cusack films, being probably the two of his more forgettable 80s teen fare (where he had the starring role), I'd probably lean towards the Sure Thing nowadays, but it's been a dog's age since I sat through either.

    "Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

  15. #15
    Team Rick MinionZombie's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Mandatorium
    Posts
    21,351
    UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Wow, One Crazy Summer...You were certainly back digging in the crates to pull this one out, MZ! I always liked the movie, though it's been awhile since I sat through it (it's been popping back up again on basic cable the last year or two though). It's fun and pretty decent, but I think pretty pedestrian for an 80s flick with the likes of Cusack.

    Have you ever seen The Sure Thing, MZ? If I had to choose between those two 80s Cusack films, being probably the two of his more forgettable 80s teen fare (where he had the starring role), I'd probably lean towards the Sure Thing nowadays, but it's been a dog's age since I sat through either.
    hehe, yeah it happened to swing by on TCM so I recorded it and gave it a spin - kind of a one-watch-pony type of thing, but perhaps if I was a teen in 1986 (when in fact I was a toddler) I'd have enjoyed it more or found more in it ... like I always say, if it's got Cusack in it, it's worth seeing.

    I've not seen The Sure Thing though, but I'll keep an eye out for it - I see it's got Daphne Zuniga from Spaceballs and The Fly II in it - another reason to keep an eye out for it.

    -- -------- Post added 13-Feb-2012 at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was 07-Feb-2012 at 10:59 AM ----------

    I come over all nostalgic now as I flash back to February 1999 when Channel 4 broadcast their "Censored" weekend, which further cemented my love of so-called 'extreme cinema' (video nasties et al) - there's a bunch of video clips included; introductions from UK film critic Mark Kermode (who some of you might recognise from the documentary "Scream and Scream Again"):

    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/02....html?spref=fb

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •