Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: MZ's Movie Review Thread

Super Moderator

UK
    Four Flies On Grey Velvet (Dario Argento, 1971) DVD Review:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2017/...o-argento.html

Dario Argento's third giallo film and, at the time, intended to be his last, Four Flies On Grey Velvet is a curious mix of murder mystery and offbeat comedy in which a drummer in a prog rock band finds himself framed for murder – but his blackmailer has no intention of calling the cops on him, so what is it they're after?...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Four Flies On Grey Velvet (Dario Argento, 1971) DVD Review:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2017/...o-argento.html

Dario Argento's third giallo film and, at the time, intended to be his last, Four Flies On Grey Velvet is a curious mix of murder mystery and offbeat comedy in which a drummer in a prog rock band finds himself framed for murder – but his blackmailer has no intention of calling the cops on him, so what is it they're after?...
    I bought the Bluray from Zavvi the other week. It's in the mail.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The Bloodstained Shadow (Antonio Bido, 1978) DVD Review:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2013/...onio-bido.html

A superb and deeply atmospheric giallo - plenty of screenshots in the review, too.

Got this on BluRay. Haven't watched it yet.

Arrow Video put out a premium Blu-Ray/DVD box set of "Death Walks On High Heels" and "Death Walks At Midnight" the other week (dubbed 'Death Walks Twice: Two Films by Luciano Ercoli'). It's a limited run of 3,000 copies - much like they recently did with their Black Cats boxset (which was The Black Cat, and Your Vice Is A Locked Room And Only I Have The Key). They'll probably end up doing separate releases (minus the DVD copy, and minus the collector's booklet) for the Ercoli boxset, much like they did for the Black Cats set (I got the standalone "Your Vice..." Blu-Ray the other day).

Arrow Video are a UK company, but they also put out various releases in the USA, so they're commonly Region 2/B or 1&2/A&B (if an item is released by Arrow in both territories). You should be able to find them on your local version of Amazon in order to import them - or through the Arrow Video website.
    Arrived yesterday. The Bluray version. Or maybe it's DVD and BluRay?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Got this on BluRay. Haven't watched it yet.

Arrived yesterday. The Bluray version. Or maybe it's DVD and BluRay?
    I hope you enjoy them.

Super Moderator

UK
    Zootopia (aka Zootropolis), 10 Cloverfield Lane, and 100 Bloody Acres:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2017/...gs-animal.html

Super Moderator

UK
    Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-o-Rama (David DeCoteau, 1988):
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2017/...wl-o-rama.html

Now is that a title, or is that a title?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I too enjoyed Zootopia, even though it came dangerously close to beating the audience over the head with its overall message, ala WallE. Granted, audiences tend to not think for themselves these days, but you really only need to push the theme of the movie so far until it turns into treating the viewers as morons.

I've yet to see Cloverfield Lane. I think I'll check it out based on your recommendation.
    Last edited by bassman; 22-Jan-2017 at 06:40 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Still not watched Drive...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I'm glad I'm not the only one on the planet who likes this film. Seems to get a lot of hate for some reason.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Still not watched Drive...
    FFS, sort it aaaahhhht!

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one on the planet who likes this film. Seems to get a lot of hate for some reason.
    I heard it got booed at Cannes (some cheers, too, though). It's a rough film in many ways, and is a little bit pretentious (whereas The Neon Demon tilts full force towards the obtuse/pretentious dividing line without a care for coaxing an audience along with it), but OGF is strong - not just in on-screen content, but in style and execution and perverted subtext. It is a bit miserable, mind you ... a bit too serious and grim, so you've got to be in the right mood for it.

Drive, on the other hand, has a much broader range of emotions behind it. There's aching coolness, humour, graphic violence, and innocent love all mixed up in there quite successfully. Only God Forgives is a much more singular vision in terms of tone, but it does linger in the memory and will open itself up to deeper layers with repeated viewings.

While I did enjoy The Neon Demon, it is half an hour too long and far too obscure in its use of 'arty farty symbolism' - TND doesn't guide its viewer anywhere near enough to get a grasp, it just peels off on its own tangent leaving the viewer dawdling about in search of any real sense of meaning.

Hopefully Refn skews back towards OGF and - particularly - Drive territory with his next film.

Super Moderator

UK
    Don't Answer The Phone! (Robert Hammer, 1980):
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2017/...mmer-1980.html

Conceived of before John Carpenter's Halloween blew the doors wide open for the slasher movie craze that swept the horror genre during the 1980s, Robert Hammer's one and only film – Don't Answer The Phone! – is a curious schism between disturbing realism, dark humour, and jumping aboard the killer thriller bandwagon...

Administrator

England
    Don't Answer The Phone! (Robert Hammer, 1980):
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2017/...mmer-1980.html
    Why only one film?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Why only one film?
    IIRC he is/was a photographer by trade, and ended up making that one film - I guess he either didn't want to make another, or didn't get the opportunity.

Super Moderator

UK
    Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers (Fred Olen Ray, 1988) Blu-Ray Review:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2017/...fred-olen.html

Shot in five-and-a-half days over two weekends using borrowed equipment, re-cycled sets, and left over 'short ends' of film stock, Fred Olen Ray's particularly silly comedy horror/film noir spoof Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers – featuring Gunnar 'Leatherface' Hansen as the leader of a buzzsaw-worshipping cult – pretty much does what it says on the tin. Do you want naked ladies of the night hacking up dopey Johns with chainsaws and getting covered in blood? Then step this way...