Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: MZ's Movie Review Thread

Super Moderator

UK
    Super, and Elektra Luxx:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...-up-crime.html

The former is actually quite good fun (from James Gunn, btw) and the latter is a massive pile of pretentious horse shit.

And yes, I will be getting to Weird Science pretty soon.

-- -------- Post added 25-Mar-2012 at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was 24-Mar-2012 at 08:10 PM ----------

Weird Science, Your Highness, and Love & Other Drugs:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...-high-and.html

Yep - finally got around to Weird Science. Loved it.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Can you imagine if the tables had been turned and if some grown bloke have been taking showers with two 15yr old girls? How that wouldn't have been tolerated...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Can you imagine if the tables had been turned and if some grown bloke have been taking showers with two 15yr old girls? How that wouldn't have been tolerated...

Yeah....totally different outcome.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Weird Science, MZ. I was kinda shocked you hadn't seen it sooner. I'm not sure how tv programming works on your side of the pond, but hardly a month goes by without Weird Science airing here in the states. It's like a regular staple of weekend afternoon movies.

I regularly quote Bill Paxton's character. So many funny lines. Paxton was born to play those kinds of roles(as James Cameron saw and later utilized). Also, no mention of Oingo Boingo? Shame on you.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Weird Science, MZ. I was kinda shocked you hadn't seen it sooner. I'm not sure how tv programming works on your side of the pond, but hardly a month goes by without Weird Science airing here in the states. It's like a regular staple of weekend afternoon movies.

I regularly quote Bill Paxton's character. So many funny lines. Paxton was born to play those kinds of roles(as James Cameron saw and later utilized). Also, no mention of Oingo Boingo? Shame on you.
    ..and would you believe... http://www.people.com/people/package...470154,00.html
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I wonder if he still has that pubescent squeaky voice.

Super Moderator

UK
    haha! I know, right?!

Total teenage male fantasy mind you ... but the sweet-natured version ... in reality she'd probably just be a sex robot!

True, I did forget to mention Oingo Boingo, but speaking of that track, I've had it on my playlist for years - so I'm very familiar with that song - indeed it's been stuck in my head since the subject was brought up a week or so ago.

I've seen it now-and-then on TV over here, but I've always noticed when it's nearly over, and oftentimes it's around late afternoon - so it'd be cut - so what's the point? Fortunately I got to see it uncut yesterday.

I wonder if he still has that pubescent squeaky voice.
    It's a squeaker, alright, isn't it?!

United States

YES! About time, man! Told ya you'd love it.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 26-Mar-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    YES! About time, man! Told ya you'd love it.
    How did Steven Seagal ever manage it?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Yay! Glad to hear you got to see it. Weird Science was one of those movies that HBO and their competitors had a hard-on for in the 1980s and I literally must have seen it a hundred times growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    the girls (Judie Aronson, and Suzanne Snyder - whom I finally discovered I recognised from Return of the Living Dead Part II).
    Good catch, MZ...I've only ever watched Return II a handful of times (though I did have the dubious honor of seeing it in the theater) and never would have caught this.

Also, glad you enjoyed Love & Other Drugs, I found it pretty well done, myself.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I haven't had the chance to see Love and Other Drugs, but some of the clips and photos i've seen of Anne Hathaway definitely has me interested.

Can't wait to see her in tight leather as catwoman.

United States
    How did Steven Seagal ever manage it?
    Good question!

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Weird Science was one of those movies that HBO and their competitors had a hard-on for in the 1980s and I literally must have seen it a hundred times growing up.
    Agreed. I have no idea how many times I've seen Weird Science, but it has to be easily over 50+.

*walks away singing, "From my heart and from my hand, why don't people understand my intentions..?"*
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 26-Mar-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Good catch, MZ...I've only ever watched Return II a handful of times (though I did have the dubious honor of seeing it in the theater) and never would have caught this.

Also, glad you enjoyed Love & Other Drugs, I found it pretty well done, myself.
    She looked very familiar when I was watching it, but it was the blonde hair that threw me off (she had red hair in ROTLD2) ... speaking of ROTLD2, I've seen that numerous times too, although looking at it now, compared to ROTLD it's shite. There's good stuff in there, such as the bumbling duo of grave robbers, that kid's older sister, and - the red head.

I haven't had the chance to see Love and Other Drugs, but some of the clips and photos i've seen of Anne Hathaway definitely has me interested.

Can't wait to see her in tight leather as catwoman.
    Regarding Love & Other Drugs, all I ever heard about it when it was released was "oh, they're both naked all the time", which isn't very accurate (although it is a highpoint for Hathaway fans ), but the flick itself is pretty good. A nice mix of the serious with the smutty.

Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    *walks away singing, "From my heart and from my hand, why don't people understand my intentions..?*
    I've had that song stuck in my head for days now - good track, mind.

Super Moderator

UK
    Dogtooth, Import/Export, and Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...gn-flicks.html

A Greek black comedy, an ever-so bleak European drama, and a surprisingly fun slasher sequel with a supernatural skew...

-- -------- Post added 16-Apr-2012 at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was 13-Apr-2012 at 05:53 PM ----------

A gentle rant about Zack Snyder's "Sucker Punch":
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...unch-zack.html

I detest his remake of Dawn of the Dead, roll my eyes at 300, but actually rather like Watchmen (in extended Director's Cut form) ... so what did I make of Sucker Punch - and indeed, what did you folks of HPOTD make of Sucker Punch?

Super Moderator

United States
    what did you folks of HPOTD make of Sucker Punch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoutbox
    08-03, 12:07 AcesandEights
    Home sick today and figured I'd watch Sucker Punch on HBO on demand and I think 9 and 1/2 of the first 10 minutes of the film is all in slow mo...

New 08-03, 12:14 AcesandEights
    My god, this is like watching one of those moviel length, Michael Jackson music videos.

08-03, 12:30 AcesandEights
    Wow, beautiful over the top visuals, but it has all the feel, emotion & viewer investment of a mortal kombat sequel.

08-03, 12:30 AcesandEights
    This movie must have been huge in Japan.

08-03, 12:33 AcesandEights
    God, the music...what was the thought process behind some of these choices?!
    And you know I give Z Snyder a pretty fair shake, but it was wretched. The wheels just fell off from conceptualization through to execution. He started with an okay premise, but got caught up with too much...too much slo mo, too much in the way of over-stylized renderings, too much caricature, too much shitty music etc.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    He started with an okay premise, but got caught up with too much...too much slo mo, too much in the way of over-stylized renderings, too much caricature, too much shitty music etc.
    Sounds like most of his other movies, too.