Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: MZ's Movie Review Thread

Super Moderator

UK
    Contamination (Luigi Cozzi, 1980) Blu-Ray/DVD Review:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2015/...-1980-blu.html

Can you base a film around a couple of ideas half-inched from Alien? Yes you can! This is the flick in which a procession of chests explode in gleefully gory slow motion! Starring Ian McCulloch (Zombi 2).

Super Moderator

UK
    The Boxtrolls, and Enemy:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2015/...rolls-and.html

1) Creepy, cutesy, class-obsessed chaos from Coraline makers Laika.
    2) Jake Gyllenhaal acts with himself as weird shit goes down in Canada.

Super Moderator

UK
    Fast and Furious 7:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2015/...ni-review.html

Man-sized feels, sky-diving cars, and Vin Diesel grumbling the word "family" at every given opportunity, what's not to like?

Horrible Bosses 2, and Foo Fighters: Back and Forth:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2015/...osses-and.html

1) Who wouldn't want more of Jennifer Aniston playing a nymphomaniac, but where did all the laughs go?
    2) A rockin' rockumentary.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 12-Sep-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Administrator

England
    I think I've only seen the first FaF?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Horrible Bosses 2 had a few good laughs and kept me entertained enough, but it just couldn't live up to the first one. There's something about the chemistry between the three leads that just works, IMO. That alone made the second film worth watching. As much as I love Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, I'm almost tempted to say that Charlie Day works better with the HB guys.

Chris Pine provides a few subtle laughs, as well. Between this and his crazy character in 'Stretch', I'd love to see Pine do more comedic roles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I think I've only seen the first FaF?
    IMO, the series didn't really find its footing until the fourth film. From there they turned it into more of an action/revenge series instead of the teenage "look at my modified Honda" kind of deal. Skip the second and third films....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Horrible Bosses 2 had a few good laughs and kept me entertained enough, but it just couldn't live up to the first one. There's something about the chemistry between the three leads that just works, IMO. That alone made the second film worth watching. As much as I love Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, I'm almost tempted to say that Charlie Day works better with the HB guys.

IMO, the series didn't really find its footing until the fourth film. From there they turned it into more of an action/revenge series instead of the teenage "look at my modified Honda" kind of deal. Skip the second and third films....
    1) I did get some fun out of it, and I enjoyed it enough for the duration, but it was a considerable step down from the first movie ... like you, though, I do find that central trio quite enjoyable. I do think they overdid the 'talking over each other like idiots' thing too much in HB2 way too much, mind.

2) I remember being a bit 'hmmm' with Fast 4, but went to see Fast 5 in the cinema and really enjoyed it. I must re-watch Fast 4 sometime, I'll probably like it more now than I did originally (not that I thought it was bad at the time, but wasn't particularly taken with it either ... at the time). 2 Fast 2 Furious is the weakest of the bunch, undoubtedly, I watched it for completion's sake recently as it was the only one I hadn't seen. Tokyo Drift was decent - the change in locale helped add some interest - but it wasn't all that great either. It was funny that by the time they looped back around to Tokyo Drift in terms of the story chronology (FYI, Neil - parts 4 through 6 take place before part 3) the main guy from that movie (in which he was like a senior in high school IIRC) was rocking a full-on five o'clock shadow and over-thirties look in Fast 7 (Lucas Black was born in 1982 IIRC).

They're very over-the-top movies, and not supposed to be "realistic" when it comes to the action (e.g. the insanely long airstrip in #6), but they're pretty darn fun. I liked the first one back in the day, checked out until part 4 (which I was kinda 'meh' ish about at the time), but then part 5 really hooked me in. Caught up on 3 (alright), then 2 (pretty naff TBH) ... and now here we are.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Maybe I was thinking of the fifth film. After so many sequels, they're starting to blend together!

They got better when they changed the direction of the series from racing to more of an action series vibe. If that makes any sense. When The Rock came in it got better! ha

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    They got better when they changed the direction of the series from racing to more of an action series vibe. If that makes any sense. When The Rock came in it got better! ha
    Yeah, while I enjoyed the first movie, I'm agreed with you - when the scope opened up I think it improved the franchise. The Rock entered in #5, which was the one in Rio and acted as more of a heist movie with cars as the main tool.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah, while I enjoyed the first movie, I'm agreed with you - when the scope opened up I think it improved the franchise. The Rock entered in #5, which was the one in Rio and acted as more of a heist movie with cars as the main tool.
    Ah yes, the one where they drag the vault with cars. That one was really enjoyable. Probably my favorite of the bunch.

Administrator

England
    I'm with you... A good flick but "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" is the best so far of these film IMHO...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I'm with you... A good flick but "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" is the best so far of these film IMHO...
    Aye, I think Iron Man, Captain America 1 & 2, and Guardians of the Galaxy have been the very best ones, with Avengers running close behind those four.

I've enjoyed them all, but I do have a particular fondness for the Captain America flicks. There's just something about them that I really dig.

On the other hand I felt that Thor: The Dark World was fairly meh - and the weakest of these MCU flicks - to me at least. The first Thor was way better by comparison and quite good.

Administrator

England
    Aye, I think Iron Man, Captain America 1 & 2, and Guardians of the Galaxy have been the very best ones, with Avengers running close behind those four.

I've enjoyed them all, but I do have a particular fondness for the Captain America flicks. There's just something about them that I really dig.

On the other hand I felt that Thor: The Dark World was fairly meh - and the weakest of these MCU flicks - to me at least. The first Thor was way better by comparison and quite good.
    I concur!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Cap 2 was an enjoyable sort of espionage thriller and probably one of Marvel's best so far, but Joe Johnston's first Cap movie didn't really sit well with me. The story felt too thin and the film as a whole felt more like a video game or toy advertisement. I'm really looking forward to Captain America: Civil War, but anyone that knows the basic plot of that story can tell you that it's going to end up being more of an Avengers sequel than a stand alone Cap film.

Of all the Marvel films thus far, Guardians of the Galaxy is by far my favorite. The Iron Man trilogy and the first Avengers would probably be next. The first Cap being my least favorite. I still need to see Ant Man, which I'm looking forward to.

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, I've not seen Ant Man yet either, but I've heard good things about it. So I look forward to checking it out sometime down the line.