Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: MZ's Movie Review Thread

Super Moderator

UK
    Massacre In Dinosaur Valley (Michele Massimo Tarantini, 1985) DVD Review:
    https://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2018...y-michele.html

The Italian cannibal movie cycle seemingly died a spectacular death in 1981 with Umberto Lenzi's savage "Cannibal Ferox", but there was still some life in the genre yet, with added subtext relating to colonialism and American masculinity...
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 10-Apr-2018 at 11:10 AM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Blade Runner 2049
    https://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2018...trons-and.html

Plus a bit of a rant about identity politics.
    Thoroughly enjoyed this review and fully agree with your thoughts. I personally can’t inagine a world where a more fitting and pleasing sequel to Blade Runner exists. Everything about this belated sequel hit the right beats. Even with the film still being “new” at this point, I’ve enjoyed multiple viewings, each one as deeply mesmerizing as the last. It’s a damn shame this film wasn’t better received in the cinema, because for my money, it is an extremely rare example of a perfect sequel.

That being said, I hadn’t heard of the negative reactions to the female characters until your review. As you pointed out, those complaints seem to be knee jerk reactions from those groups purposely looking for ways to stir the pot while missing certain aspects of those characters because of their negative agenda.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That being said, I hadn’t heard of the negative reactions to the female characters until your review. As you pointed out, those complaints seem to be knee jerk reactions from those groups purposely looking for ways to stir the pot while missing certain aspects of those characters because of their negative agenda.
    Likely a small minority of folks - and folks already predisposed to not liking it, or folks who go into a film with preconceptions and the aim of being offended by something because it doesn't tick a series of safe space boxes etc etc etc.

So I ended up ranting at length about something that was most likely akin to those 'and the whole internet is outraged' clickbait articles that you see online and it's actually three nobodies on fucking Twitter of all places ... but that kind of bullshit pisses me off, so it was nice to vent.

Anyway - the movie itself - I'm yet to re-watch it, but it's been lingering in my mind ever since. It's perhaps just a smidge overlong and perhaps takes it's a smidge too seriously (like it's in awe of the original film's legacy), but that's only a very slight criticism against an overwhelmingly top notch film.

It was interesting seeing some go on about how poorly it did at the box office, but seeing as the first movie bombed at the box office in the summer of '82 (much like JC's "The Thing" - now also considered a stone cold classic of cinema) it's not that surprising that it didn't set the box office alight this time. The audience to which it was most appealing was likely older, and therefore it's trickier to get them to turn up at the cinema due to their various life commitments, the difficulty in getting a group of friends together after a certain age, as well as the generally shite nature of most multiplex cinemas these days.

Speaking of which, if Hollywood wants more bums on seats in cinemas then cheaper ticket prices would help for one, but improved cinema-going experiences would also help a hell of a lot (i.e. ushers, staff who have enough intelligence to perform simple tasks like turning the lights off, staff who move faster than a necrotic snail, ticket machines that work, PSAs to encourage a culture of respectful audience engagement - so you don't end up with some moron barking their asinine commentary at the screen like when I went to see The Last Jedi) and a whole bunch of other things on top of that.

Ireland
    Thoroughly enjoyed this review and fully agree with your thoughts. I personally can’t inagine a world where a more fitting and pleasing sequel to Blade Runner exists. Everything about this belated sequel hit the right beats. Even with the film still being “new” at this point, I’ve enjoyed multiple viewings, each one as deeply mesmerizing as the last. It’s a damn shame this film wasn’t better received in the cinema, because for my money, it is an extremely rare example of a perfect sequel.

Thought it was great.

And as someone who thought the idea of Deckard being a replicant was one of the dumbest things Scott could retcon into the film, I was very pleased that Villeneuve didn't cement the idea that he was.

I've only seen it once, but it was an extremely enjoyable film. Probably will return to it soon enough. Pity it didn't do well at the BO. Or maybe it it's not. The story is over, we really don't need another sequel and I feel they were trying to set something up with the Replicant underground.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Thought it was great.

And as someone who thought the idea of Deckard being a replicant was one of the dumbest things Scott could retcon into the film, I was very pleased that Villeneuve didn't cement the idea that he was.

I've only seen it once, but it was an extremely enjoyable film. Probably will return to it soon enough. Pity it didn't do well at the BO. Or maybe it it's not. The story is over, we really don't need another sequel and I feel they were trying to set something up with the Replicant underground.
    IIRC, from what I've read, there were indeed hopes and early ideas for a third film in the event that 2049 did boffo box office. Like you, I think it might be best to leave it as two superb films and not push our luck.

There was definitely something more being set up with the underground resistance, aye, I felt that too.

Super Moderator

UK
    The Last American Virgin:
    https://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2018...-davidson.html

Raunchy comedy/drama about a group of L.A. teens trying to pop their cherry, but embarrassing misfortunes and harsh realities get in the way.

United States
    *batteries not included (1987) Hume Cronyn, Jessica Tandy (6/10)
    A land developer uses thugs to try to force an old couple and their tenants out of their apartment building/diner. Tiny space ship type things that come to power up on their electricity help them out.

OK movie from my childhood. Decent effects for the time period.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    *batteries not included (1987) Hume Cronyn, Jessica Tandy (6/10)
    A land developer uses thugs to try to force an old couple and their tenants out of their apartment building/diner. Tiny space ship type things that come to power up on their electricity help them out.

OK movie from my childhood. Decent effects for the time period.
    Oh man, that’s a big one from my childhood too! Fond memories of that one, but haven’t seen it in decades.
    I

United States
    Oh man, that’s a big one from my childhood too! Fond memories of that one, but haven’t seen it in decades.
    I
    It's on youtube if you want to see it. They messed with it to get it by the copyright police, but it is watchable if you play it at .75 speed.

- - - Updated - - -

Crap, I meant to put my last messages in the "Rate the last movie that you've seen" thread.
    Sorry, I had a brain fart.
    Last edited by beat_truck; 05-May-2018 at 12:27 AM. Reason: lkhlh

Super Moderator

UK
    Thriller: A Cruel Picture - aka - They Call Her One Eye (Bo A. Vibenius, 1973):
    https://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2018...nius-1973.html

Part-inspiring the character of Elle Driver from Tarantino's "Kill Bill", this rare Swedish exploitation flick features an eye-gouging scene that blows Lucio Fulci's "Zombie Flesh Eaters" right outta the water...
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 16-May-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Man From Deep River (Umberto Lenzi, 1972) DVD Review:
    https://deadshed.blogspot.com/2018/0...enzi-1972.html

This former 'video nasty' is regarded as the first film in the cycle of Italian cannibal movies that reared their bloody heads throughout the 1970s and early 1980s. Yet Umberto Lenzi's Man From Deep River – otherwise known as Deep River Savages, Sacrifice!, or Mondo Cannibale – ironically features very little flesh eating...

Super Moderator

UK
    Blastfighter (Lamberto Bava, 1984) DVD Review:
    https://deadshed.blogspot.com/2018/0...-1984-dvd.html

If "Deliverance" and "First Blood" had an Italian baby, it'd be called "Blastfighter".
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 09-Jul-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Delirium (Lamberto Bava, 1987):
    https://deadshed.blogspot.com/2018/0...7-blu-ray.html

A glamorous psycho-sexual mystery slasher in which a woman with a big, veiny eyeball for a face gets skewered with a pitchfork…

Super Moderator

UK
    Syndicate Sadists (Umberto Lenzi, 1975):
    https://deadshed.blogspot.com/2018/0...enzi-1975.html

An arse-kicking man-child who roams the highways of Italy takes on warring crime families a la Yojimbo/A Fistful of Dollars...

Super Moderator

UK
    The Mutilator (Buddy Cooper, 1984) Blu-Ray Review:
    https://deadshed.blogspot.com/2018/1...4-blu-ray.html

Also known as "Fall Break". A fan favourite from the heyday of horror experienced on home video in which a group of college kids go to a beach resort for some rest and relaxation ... naturally, things don't terribly, bloodily wrong. Featuring big, ballsy, splattery gore effects courtesy of Mark Shostrum (Evil Dead 2).