Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: MZ's Movie Review Thread

Super Moderator

UK
    @Aces - I'd have loved it if you'd just 'live shouted' the whole movie as you watched it.

I did consider doing one of my bitch lists for this flick, but didn't bother in the end. I thought some of the music in Watchmen was getting a touch on-the-nose, but goddamn, in Sucker Punch it's the most dunderheaded plate of obviousness served up piping hot right in your face. And every goddamned song used is a cover version, and it's always some sort of emo-sounding version ... if I want "Where Is My Mind" in a film, then I want it by The Pixies, and I want it at the end of Fight Club. That is all.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    roll my eyes at 300
    I love 300! I could watch that movie over and over...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I love 300! I could watch that movie over and over...
    Big fan of oiled-up muscles writhing in slow motion, eh? Capes 'n' codpieces.

United States
    THIS IS MADDNESS!

*runs and hides from the 300 haters*

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    THIS IS MADDNESS!

*runs and hides from the 300 haters*

or

Last edited by MinionZombie; 17-Apr-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Administrator

England
    Yep! That and a good solid comic book adaptation viscerally done in a new and visually impressive fashion!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yep! That and a good solid comic book adaptation viscerally done in a new and visually impressive fashion!
    You forgot slow motion, increasing the run time of the film....
    Last edited by bassman; 17-Apr-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: .

United States

"Neil, do you like movies about gladiators?"

Super Moderator

UK
    Bridesmaids, The Guard, The Messenger, Cedar Rapids, and 127 Hours:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...pril-2012.html

Super Moderator

United States
    Bridesmaids, The Guard, The Messenger, Cedar Rapids, and 127 Hours:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...pril-2012.html
    I agree with you pretty much completely with regards to 127 Hours. Refreshingly simple, well executed and pretty powerful.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Nice to see some simple love for 127 Hours. I think I posted an early trailer for that flick and it was met with nothing but negative comments. Of course, I think those were the regular negative members that complain about everything.

You know the type....

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I agree with you pretty much completely with regards to 127 Hours. Refreshingly simple, well executed and pretty powerful.
    Ditto.

Especially thought that the

use of music to illustrate the pain of slicing through tendons was excellently done.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Bassman - haha, yeah, I know the type. Don't recall seeing the trailer way back when, personally, but remember all the fuss in the media about the hacking off of the arm. It's quite a scene, but it's not as gruesome as you might expect ... but then again, as a hardcore horror genre aficianado, I don't suppose I'd be all that shocked by it. In the context it's still powerful, but the bit that did make me twinge was the picking at ... was it a tendon, or an artery? Whatever it was that caused him a vast amount of pain in the film as he was cutting away.

Shoot - aye, the music used was excellent in the flick, as well as the editing. I loved how cold, fresh, perspiring bottles of water were fetishised in the movie. I had a drink right next to me and I felt thirsty just seeing that, so it was a nice way to amplify Ralston's thirst.

Like has been said, it's a straight forward flick, but it pulls you in and it's very well crafted indeed.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Bassman - haha, yeah, I know the type. Don't recall seeing the trailer way back when, personally, but remember all the fuss in the media about the hacking off of the arm. It's quite a scene, but it's not as gruesome as you might expect ... but then again, as a hardcore horror genre aficianado, I don't suppose I'd be all that shocked by it. In the context it's still powerful, but the bit that did make me twinge was the picking at ... was it a tendon, or an artery? Whatever it was that caused him a vast amount of pain in the film as he was cutting away.
    It was a main nerve. HE describes it as looking like a long, tight spagetti noodle. Here he describes the amputation while revisiting the location:

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It was a main nerve. HE describes it as looking like a long, tight spagetti noodle. Here he describes the amputation while revisiting the location:

Chilling stuff!

A couple more musings, and this time I'm trying out a different formula, if you will, to try and avoid too much rambling.

Bug, and The Inglorious Bastards:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...rying-out.html