Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XBox 720 6x more powerful than the 360?

Administrator

England

XBox 720 6x more powerful than the 360?

The next Xbox will ship to retailers in late October or early November of next year with six times the processing power of the Xbox 360, sources close to the project have told IGN.
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/01/2...as-current-gen
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Lordy, let's hope when the final rollout comes it'll result in a product with a better lifespan than the MKI 360. I know I'll probably buy it eventually, but I will be interested to see if any consumer/trade magazines perform any major dependability tests on it, that'd help make up my mind in a hurry. No RROD debacle this time around, please.

Also, anyone have any opinions if they'll keep this to the same XBL network they currently operate? I rather hope they do.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I read in another article that there are rumors of there being a chip in the system which will prevent people from playing used games. I could see this as Microsoft digging their own grave, though. Probably simply just a rumor and nothing more.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    So currently it's a dual core machine right? So the new one will have 6x2 cores = 12 core machine?

Bollocks. Absolute bollocks. They will NOT be putting in 2x 6 core processors in there, nor will they spec that MB up with a graphics card above 1gb. It's just not cost effective, surely? thoughts??

From my reckoning the best you'd get from that console is a 4 or 6 core machine, running a 1gb graphics card or at very most a 1.5gb graphics card. Just a theory, but consoles have been the inferior pc in a box for a long time, and that won't change - its not like we can say "yeah but things will be cheaper by then" because the design is standardised and won't change past a certain point in the production process - then it'll never ever get better from that point, as conflicting systems aren't exactly a thing with consoles.

When the 360 was released, what were the current processors on the consumer market? Back then I was still running a pentium 3 600mhz and it took me another year to make the jump to a dual core processor, but by then they were dirt cheap and you could pretty much find them unopened, in your nearest storm drain or gutter.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    They should have skipped 720 and went right to 1080.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    No thanks.
    My experience with the xbox 360 was the worst videogame experience i have ever encountered. multiple dead consoles. charging my cards without my knowledge, not allowing me to remove said card info because 'once you add card details, it always needs at least one cards' and i had to threaten legal action over the phone to get my bank card removed!
    i bought it because:
    1: first 'hardcore' next gen console at the time.
    2: all my friends already had it.
    3: certain exclusives like alan wake and gears of war

There are no exclusives i care about, the direction and stance on used games is obscene, i hate everything about the current 'pay for internet, pay for gold then pay for netflix model of triple charging you for things i pay for once on my ps3 or even wii.

I'm already done with live, my xbox got play from resident evil 4 hd and skyrim in the last 6 months and thats really it. They won't get more money form me unless they do something bloody spectacular- and considering the -netxbox- is behind current gaming pcs that are NOT the top tier stuff and will be more so by the time it comes out i really do not see that happening.

Though, if i am honest, steam coming out for Mac- and the growing library of games on apple formats has certainly helped sway my opinion on the matter.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    While my opinion might not be as heated as Danny's, I agree with his thoughts on the matter. I've only had to replace my 360 once but the charges they apply to every little thing is really a deal breaker. I've always preferred to play games on my 360, but the Playstation consoles have it beat for the amount of free content alone.

Like Danny says...they'll have to do something absolutely amazing to get me back on board. Until that time comes, which I doubt it ever will, I'll stick with the next Playstation.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    While my opinion might not be as heated as Danny's, I agree with his thoughts on the matter. I've only had to replace my 360 once but the charges they apply to every little thing is really a deal breaker. I've always preferred to play games on my 360, but the Playstation consoles have it beat for the amount of free content alone.

Like Danny says...they'll have to do something absolutely amazing to get me back on board. Until that time comes, which I doubt it ever will, I'll stick with the next Playstation.
    dont mistake me for being heated. Im just taking a step back and looking at the last decade of the xbox experience.

It is an overpriced, highly faulty system that has lowered the industry standards. Why is it selling? because we speak- or dont with our wallets. Just like how we all badmouth mcdonalds, but most of us will still eat there once in a blue moon.
    As long as we pay for such a terrible service then we tell them 'yeah, stick with it, we will pay, see how far you can push it'.

These arent game devs, they are hardware devs. they arent trying to sell an experience or story, or make art. They are trying to shift units and enforce loyalty to a brand for the lifetime of its monetary viability. Each xbox going across the barcode scanner to replace a red ringed one is another consumer voting with their hard earned cash to keep the standards so very low.

I'm just not paying for that anymore. and its not some moral highground, if anything its a selfish personal experience. and i have never had a bad experience with nintendo or sony. microsoft? oh yeah. all the time.

Super Moderator

UK
    Bassman - erm, from what I've heard there won't be a Playstation 4. I'd read a couple of weeks ago that Sony were dropping out of the videogame market after the PS3 due to financial problems in that area or something.

As for the 'nextbox' - if it isn't built like a brick shithouse, then I'd be startled. Iffy tech cost them $1billion and big companies like their money, so they can't have liked that. They have a reputation for it, despite their popularity, so they'll be looking - I'd imagine - to be a solid console next time around, especially if Sony are dropping out of the running (leaving it just Wii U vs Xbox720).

I've never had any involvement with XBL or any online component, so I've never experienced anything to do with charging, although I do think what you say about charging for every damned thing is stupid and money-grubbing ... and what's more, piss off would I pay £50 a year for online use, even if I could be bothered to hook it up. The whole approach of DLC (regardless of platform) pisses me off too - come the next gen they'll surely be using Blu-Ray discs, so they won't be able to blame lack of disc space for releasing shit-tons of DLC anymore ... but I'm sure other excuses are just waiting in the holster.

In terms of breakdowns, I've had two - both visual problems whereby the graphics would start losing colour and then not display at all (to do with a connection on the motherboard) - that has happened twice, and the second time the disc drive was getting a bit temperamental (the drawer kept getting stuck, and on some games it would really struggle to keep up-to-spin for data streaming), so they just replaced it with a refurb a couple of years back.

Naturally I'm keeping an interest in these news developments as I don't see myself ever buying a Wii U, and I cannot stand the Playstation controller (but they're apparently out of the race anyway, so that's not even an option for me to not pick) ... so it comes down to the next Xbox basically.

Despite some problems, I've had a blast with my Xbox360 experience and played some excellent games. I've had countless hours out of it since 2007, so blimey, in a few months it'll be five years I've been gaming on the current generation of Xbox.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    . I'd read a couple of weeks ago that Sony were dropping out of the videogame market after the PS3 due to financial problems in that area or something.
    no, they're still working on a ps4, its just not being shown any time soon. they still think the ps3 has another 5 years of life in it. which i think is overly optimistic, but its still steamrolling the xbox in asia so i guess they are doing well enough to think so.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    So currently it's a dual core machine right? So the new one will have 6x2 cores = 12 core machine?

Bollocks. Absolute bollocks. They will NOT be putting in 2x 6 core processors in there, nor will they spec that MB up with a graphics card above 1gb. It's just not cost effective, surely? thoughts??

From my reckoning the best you'd get from that console is a 4 or 6 core machine, running a 1gb graphics card or at very most a 1.5gb graphics card. Just a theory, but consoles have been the inferior pc in a box for a long time, and that won't change - its not like we can say "yeah but things will be cheaper by then" because the design is standardised and won't change past a certain point in the production process - then it'll never ever get better from that point, as conflicting systems aren't exactly a thing with consoles.

When the 360 was released, what were the current processors on the consumer market? Back then I was still running a pentium 3 600mhz and it took me another year to make the jump to a dual core processor, but by then they were dirt cheap and you could pretty much find them unopened, in your nearest storm drain or gutter.
    It'll be a dual or quad core, with generally more umph than the current one i recon. eg: 2-3 times quicker maybe? Of course the graphics card will be loads more powerful. This is probably the 6x ratio we've heard about?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    No thanks.
    My experience with the xbox 360 was the worst videogame experience i have ever encountered. multiple dead consoles. charging my cards without my knowledge, not allowing me to remove said card info because 'once you add card details, it always needs at least one cards' and i had to threaten legal action over the phone to get my bank card removed!
    i bought it because:
    1: first 'hardcore' next gen console at the time.
    2: all my friends already had it.
    3: certain exclusives like alan wake and gears of war

There are no exclusives i care about, the direction and stance on used games is obscene, i hate everything about the current 'pay for internet, pay for gold then pay for netflix model of triple charging you for things i pay for once on my ps3 or even wii.

I'm already done with live, my xbox got play from resident evil 4 hd and skyrim in the last 6 months and thats really it. They won't get more money form me unless they do something bloody spectacular- and considering the -netxbox- is behind current gaming pcs that are NOT the top tier stuff and will be more so by the time it comes out i really do not see that happening.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Just what I was thinking, kind of crystalizes how upset some people (not so much here) get upset about these sorts of things. While it's mind boggling how shoddy the hardware was in the MKI 360, I definitely got my money's worth out of the system and the live account, but YMMV.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    no, they're still working on a ps4, its just not being shown any time soon. they still think the ps3 has another 5 years of life in it. which i think is overly optimistic, but its still steamrolling the xbox in asia so i guess they are doing well enough to think so.
    Ohhhhhh... I was wondering why it hadn't become explosive news (although the thing I read was a rumour as it was). But yeah, pfft, there's no way there's 5 more years of life in the PS3 - no chance. Speaking of the PS - I heard today via IGN that there'll apparently be no more "Resistence" titles - the team will instead be working on a new IP that'll be multi-platform.

United States
    Bring it on, I've enjoyed the 360 more than any console since SNES.