Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 77

Thread: Dawn04 sequel 'Army of the Dead' info and death

  1. #16
    crackin' eggs of wisdom bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    14,199
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Personally i dont understand peoples objection to the zombie baby storyline, was it sick and shocking? yes.. it was.. but zombies are not supposed to be pretty.
    I disagree. It was neither sick or shocking. I still remember giggling and rolling my eyes when I saw the baby pushing her stomach and realized they were really going there. Then I burst into all out laughter when they pull over the receiving blanket to reveal a purple CGI baby with the screams of a velociraptor. The entire concept was just ludicrous and the execution was down right hilarious. Anything but sick and shocking.

    Could it have been executed in a different way and maybe worked without unintentional laughs? I have a hard time seeing it, but I suppose it's possible. Even as a summer action movie, Dawn04 would benefit greatly without the entire scene.
    Last edited by bassman; 08-Feb-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: .

  2. #17
    Webmaster Neil's Avatar
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    nr London
    Posts
    14,285
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by christopher jon View Post
    it's only a matter of time before they remember what mr. Happy is for.
    lol!!

    -- -------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I disagree. It was neither sick or shocking. I still remember giggling and rolling my eyes when I saw the baby pushing her stomach and realized they were really going there. Then I burst into all out laughter when they pull over the receiving blanket to reveal a purple CGI baby with the screams of a velociraptor. The entire concept was just ludicrous and the execution was down right hilarious. Anything but sick and shocking.
    It was very very bad, and I just don't understand how it made it through the scripting process to the screen.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

  3. #18
    Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    200
    United States
    Personally i dont understand peoples objection to the zombie baby storyline, was it sick and shocking? yes.. it was.. but zombies are not supposed to be pretty. it was good seeing a movemaker try something different and not just the same tired story arc's we have all see 1000 times before.
    Nothing wrong with filmmakers trying something new. I just thought it was silly.

    I'm cool with running zombies, I'll accept that zombies retain some of their past memories, giving birth to zombie babies is where I draw the line. Now, if the mom had died and the zombie baby chewed it's way out of her tummy... that I want to see.

    Rape zombies are just GTFOH

    BTW, the Japanese already did it. Why stop at tentacle sex? I'm still waiting for the Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan bukkake movie.

  4. #19
    Desiderata Satanicus Andy's Avatar
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,529
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    lol!!

    -- -------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------


    It was very very bad, and I just don't understand how it made it through the scripting process to the screen.
    Care to elaborate on 'bad'?

  5. #20
    Just Married AcesandEights's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    7,478
    United States
    I'm another person who wasn't really bothered by the baby subplot. I think it worked less well than it could have, but wasn't all that bad. The reveal of the newborn is what was probably, in my mind, the worst choice.

    "Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

  6. #21
    Webmaster Neil's Avatar
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    nr London
    Posts
    14,285
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Care to elaborate on 'bad'?
    Sure... It was another example from that film of, 'how dumb can these cardboard characters be?' ie: Everyone in the audience 100% understands she has a dead baby in her, but somehow the character(s) don't? Everyone in the audience 100% understands the zombie baby just needs to be shot, but somehow the character(s) don't? And then (if I recall correctly) a gunfight ensues over the zombie baby with some of the cardboards trying to defend it? **double facepalm**

    That whole section of the story was badly written... It could have been far more intelligent, believable and therefore moving...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

  7. #22
    Just Married AcesandEights's Avatar
    Super Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    7,478
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    And then (if I recall correctly) a gunfight ensues over the zombie baby with some of the cardboards trying to defend it? **double facepalm**
    Nope.

    Meanwhile, it is revealed that Luda did not escape unharmed when attacked by the security guard and has since entered the advanced stages of infection. She has been tied up to a bed by Andre, where she later goes into labor and dies. She reanimates and the baby is born. Norma checks on the couple and, seeing Luda is now a zombie, kills her. Andre snaps completely; they exchange gunfire, killing each other. The rest of the group arrives to find a zombie baby which they immediately kill.

    "Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

  8. #23
    Desiderata Satanicus Andy's Avatar
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,529
    England
    I sort of agree with both here, it was quite badly written and could have been done alot better but i can also see what snyder was going for, with the whole keeping the baby and women alive, it was more down to the guy having a mental breakdown and not being able to come to terms with whats going on or able to kill his wife and child rather than.. well how you put it Neil.

    I think it was a good idea, poorly executed.. but definately deserves more credit than alot of people give it.

  9. #24
    Rising Trin's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,685
    United States
    I have been a strong criticizer of zombie baby in the past. And still am. It isn't shocking or unique or brilliant. It is stupidly written and a waste of precious screen time. And we lose a couple of otherwise good and capable characters to it.

    The writing speaks to a bias for building tension rather than plausibility. The filming/directing speaks to a bias for shock value rather than subtlety.

    Could they have all known all along that Luda was infected and dying? Yes. Could that have led them to a (heated and conflicted) decision to try to nurse her along in hopes of saving the baby? Yes. Even to the point of letting her give birth. And in the end, could they have simply showed Ana looking inside the swaddled folds of the blanket and sobbing? Absolutely. The same basic storyline could've unfolded without the idiotic plotline and goofy visuals. It would've worked fine.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

  10. #25
    Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    200
    United States
    Sure... It was another example from that film of, 'how dumb can these cardboard characters be?' ie: Everyone in the audience 100% understands she has a dead baby in her, but somehow the character(s) don't? Everyone in the audience 100% understands the zombie baby just needs to be shot, but somehow the character(s) don't? And then (if I recall correctly) a gunfight ensues over the zombie baby with some of the cardboards trying to defend it? **double facepalm**
    Your half right.

    Lemme bust out the DVD so I get it right.

    Only Andre and Luda know she was bitten.

    Andre and Luda move into the baby store and block all of the windows with sheets for privacy.

    We last see Luda with the group before the passage of time montage. At this point she is fine.

    After the passage of time montage, Ana offers to check up on Luda but Andre says no thanks, she's fine.

    That night the power cuts out. Luda is giving birth.

    Norma goes to check up on them and bring them some candles n' shit.

    Luda dies. Luda comes back as a zombie. Luda gives birth to zombie baby.

    Norma goes into the baby store.

    See's zombie Luda tied to the bed. Busts out her gun and shoots Luda Zombie.

    Andre shoots Norma. Norma shoots Andre.

    The rest of the gang arrives and shoot baby zombie.

    Honestly, I think some of you guys just look for things to pick apart because you either don't like the movie, haven't seen it in 10 years or both.
    Last edited by Christopher Jon; 08-Feb-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: edit

  11. #26
    Desiderata Satanicus Andy's Avatar
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,529
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post
    Honestly, I think some of you guys just look for things to pick apart because you either don't like the movie, haven't seen it in 10 years or both.
    Its like youve been here years

  12. #27
    Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    200
    United States
    Its like youve been here years
    Read through a lot of old posts to steal good ideas.

  13. #28
    Desiderata Satanicus Andy's Avatar
    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,529
    England
    I Gave up trying to defend dawn 2004 a long time ago, even though i regullarly include it on my favourite movie lists.. Alot of the guys on here took an instant dislike to it becuase its a remake of a cherished movie (by some.. not me ), while total trash like land and survival is very highly spoke of by the same people... go figure.

    Basically i came to the conclusion that some people dont watch the movie, they just watch the name/director and set their opinion from that.

  14. #29
    Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    200
    United States
    Being honest. Most zombie movies suck.

    I love 'em but it's a genre with few really good movies.

    Hollywood mostly ignores zombies but there have been a bunch of zombie films out of Europe that past couple of years that aren't bad. Yes, they deviate from Romero but Romero deviated from those before him and I'm not going to kill a film just because it's not a rehash of a single directors vision.

    I wonder of Vampire forums go through the same stuff. Vampires can't sparkle in the sun and have sex! No, vampires look like rats with giant claws. No, vampires have super powers and can fly. Vampires turn anybody they bite. No, vampires have to give another person their blood to turn them. No, vampires hang out in front of Robert Nevil's house and have huge afros etc...
    Last edited by Christopher Jon; 08-Feb-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: edit

  15. #30
    crackin' eggs of wisdom bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    14,199
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I Gave up trying to defend dawn 2004 a long time ago, even though i regullarly include it on my favourite movie lists.. Alot of the guys on here took an instant dislike to it becuase its a remake of a cherished movie (by some.. not me ), while total trash like land and survival is very highly spoke of by the same people... go figure.

    Basically i came to the conclusion that some people dont watch the movie, they just watch the name/director and set their opinion from that.
    While that may have been the case closer to the film's release, it seems to me that the opinion of Dawn04 around here has been "okay" to "good" as of late. I know a lot of people that really hated it at first but have come around to accept it for what it is. Myself included.

    However, that doesn't mean we can't criticize certain aspects of the movie. Hell...I love picking at sections of the original Dawn and Day, but they're still two of my favorites. Minor complaints or annoyances with sections of the film do not mean we're picking at it simply because it's a remake of Dawn. I mean.....look at Day08 or Night3D! They're hardly mentioned around here and they're much worse than Dawn04. If we were picking on Dawn04 simply because of it's name, wouldn't those other two get brought up more often?
    Last edited by bassman; 08-Feb-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: .

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •