Thread: Dawn04 sequel 'Army of the Dead' info and death

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    I mean.....look at Day08
    That was so bad it goes without saying.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    While that may have been the case closer to the film's release, it seems to me that the opinion of Dawn04 around here has been "okay" to "good" as of late. I know a lot of people that really hated it at first but have come around to accept it for what it is. Myself included.

However, that doesn't mean we can't criticize certain aspects of the movie. Hell...I love picking at sections of the original Dawn and Day, but they're still two of my favorites. Minor complaints or annoyances with sections of the film do not mean we're picking at it simply because it's a remake of Dawn. I mean.....look at Day08 or Night3D! They're hardly mentioned around here and they're much worse than Dawn04. If we were picking on Dawn04 simply because of it's name, wouldn't those other two get brought up more often?
    I Didnt name anyone person where i easilly could have named a few, your not one of them. Most people have warmed to it your right but there are still alot of, what i would call, unjustified comments thrown about and alot of people who still havnt given it the chance they would have if it was called "Zombie Massacre" or something and all the links to dawn where taken out.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Nope.
    I was basically right though? People were killing each other over dead people...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Personally i dont understand peoples objection to the zombie baby storyline, was it sick and shocking? yes.. it was.. but zombies are not supposed to be pretty. it was good seeing a movemaker try something different and not just the same tired story arc's we have all see 1000 times before.

I Think it was a good twist and works well in the guidelines that snyder has created for himself (zombie infection passed on by bodilly fluid transfer) and im not a comic book nerd or snyder fanboy at all, also i will point out, there where zombie babies long before dawn 2004.
    Are you referring to the comedy "Braindead" per chance?

The zombie baby thing...was it shocking? No. Was it offensive? No. It was just plain f**King stupid.

That was my criticism of the entire film, it was just...f**king....stupid.
    Ok so it was less stupid that Ghey08, or Night3D - but I've not even entertained those films to be honest. Dawn04 may exist JUST within my stupidity threshold, ie: I will watch it but still thinks it's beyond f**king stupid. But Ghey08, Children of the Living Dead, Night3D - well these things are so obviously trash that they don't get a showing.

So in my world, all Dawn04 is, is remotely watchable. But the zombie baby? Give me a break, stupidest moment of the entire film...maybe...actually I dunno, there were so many dumb moments.

I really don't think people's impressions here of the zombie baby was "omgz, a zombie baby, nooo that's so out of order, children are sacred, I feel offended" - more a case of "oh, that's fucking stupid."

Anyway glad you like the movie!!!

-- -------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

I mean I could talk for days about every element that I hate about that film - and yeah it is mainly due to it's assosciation with the original movie. You don't remake "The Wizard of Oz", take out the yellow brick road, change the Wizard into a velociraptor, and dress Dorothy in an S+M maids outfit, and then act shocked after you've marketed to the original fans and got a backlash.

But maybe that'll be the rebuttal here - that it WASN'T marketed to the original fans - in fact it's probably fair to say that Zack Snyder wasn't even remotely attached to the original movie - apart from the obligatory references to the original movie, it's completely removed itself. So what was the point? You either remake it and keep elements that made it great, or you set a running zombie movie in a mall and called it a "loose homage".

But what you don't do, is tie up a great movie licence for another 30 years by "remaking" the film in such a lazy, and terrible eye candy way, removing everything that made the original great (fun characters, great action, sense of adventure, awesome set pieces and a small social commentary), and ensuring for the next 30 years, no one is going to make a movie with zombies and a shopping mall.
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 14-Feb-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: adad
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    But dude....raping zombies?!? I honestly wouldn't mind another Dawn04 as i've really lightened up on the film over the years. My only criticism is raping zombies and human/zombie hybrids. That just sounds awful. Would you not agree?
    I can not imagine anyone supporting this concept, it is utter rubbish.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    The zombie baby subplot was awful - it played out very predictably, with lame melodrama and a rubbish CGI anticlimax. I agree with Andy that the idea was potentially a good one, but it was just handled in such a unimaginative, stale, corny and overdone fashion that any horrific or disturbing elements were smothered.

As for rapist zombies: how completely ridiculous. First of all, even if we disregard the behavioural and physiological problems involved, it would imply that zombies are some sort of different subspecies with their own zombie genes which can be passed on, which they are not - they are basically human, albeit reanimated from death - the differences are metabolic not genetic, they used to be people, they weren't conceived and born as zombies. The whole idea seems so slapdash and conceptually messy and absurd, and I fail to even imagine how it could make for a gripping and believable film. When will writers learn you don't make an original zombie film just by adding new zombie abilities, you do it by coming up with original characters, situations, and having a point worth making.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 15-Feb-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: .

United States
    I would assume the zombie "doing the driving" would like doing it slow, but then again it IS a Snyder zombie. Hmm...

Let's just assume that z-rape and z-babies should be quickly filed away (waaay way away) with z-astronauts going on a space mission to rape martian women, z-politicians running for office (the D after their name representing the "Dead Party"), and whatever else too much drugs and too little sleep can come up with for the genre.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 16-Feb-2012 at 06:14 AM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

UK
    Let's face it... this is pretty much where it's headed:

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Let's face it... this is pretty much where it's headed...
    Best laugh I've had all week, straight out of left field. Well done, RC.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    just when i think that i've read the craziest gor'am thing ever, i come across a thread like this.

this sounds like something uwe boll would come up with.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post
    Romero already got the ball rolling with thinking zombies. It's only a matter of time before they remember what Mr. Happy is for.

Granted, it's a bit crass but if zombies are driven by instinct to eat no reason why they wouldn't be driven by instinct to wanna get it on.
    BUT if these zeds were embalmed like the original one in Night 1990 do they even have the fluids to make Mr. Happy function? I can believe walking corpses but a lack of blood flow makes Mr. Happy unlikely!
    Last edited by Mr.G; 21-Feb-2012 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Xxx

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    but a lack of blood flow makes Mr. Happy unlikely!
    Zombies are stiffs.

Stiff arms, stiff legs, stiff...

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I really think we should all back out of this room slowly.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States

Brilliant!