Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dawn04 sequel 'Army of the Dead' info and death

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Dawn04 sequel 'Army of the Dead' info and death

We've discussed the Zack Snyder developed sequel to his 2004 remake of Dawn but now there's a bit of info on what it would have been and why it thankfully has now fallen apart.

Strike had hired Matthijs van Heijningen Jr.(The Thing prequel/remake) to direct the sequel and he has confirmed that it is indeed dead. However, he also gave some good reasons as to why - Rapist zombies and hybrid zombies. No kidding...

Heijningen Jr.:
    There's an extra dimension to this zombie film, because they…. they…. I'm still wondering if I should tell this…. the male zombies rape human females. Yes. And they have human hybrid zombie offsprings. It's a new take on the zombie genre, which is crazy.
    The story, an original by Snyder, would have involved a father who travels into a zombie-infested Las Vegas to rescue his daugher. But whether that sounds interesting or not to you, van Heijningen believes it to be shelved permanently:

They didn’t really want us to shoot in Las Vegas – because of the expense of shooting in Las Vegas. I really don’t think it’s going to happen.

Wow. The genre really dodged a bullet with this one. Snyder was going to take the zombie baby idea one step further?

source
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Feb-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Honestly you guys whine and moan that its all been done and theres no original zombie movies out there, as soon as a director dares to make one you do nothing but criticsize!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Honestly you guys whine and moan that its all been done and theres no original zombie movies out there, as soon as a director dares to make one you do nothing but criticsize!
    But dude....raping zombies?!? I honestly wouldn't mind another Dawn04 as i've really lightened up on the film over the years. My only criticism is raping zombies and human/zombie hybrids. That just sounds awful. Would you not agree?
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Feb-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: .

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    But dude....raping zombies?!?
    Romero already got the ball rolling with thinking zombies. It's only a matter of time before they remember what Mr. Happy is for.

Granted, it's a bit crass but if zombies are driven by instinct to eat no reason why they wouldn't be driven by instinct to wanna get it on.

And yes, it does sound awful. Definitely not the direction I'd take if Universal handed me 50 million.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    But dude....raping zombies?!?
    Sounds fun!

Oh, you mean zombies that rape. Oh

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Sounds fun!

I think the Zombie Diaries 1 & 2 already covered zombies being raped.

NOW IT'S PAYBACK TIME!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Sounds fun!

Ha! Yeah....probably should have said "rapist zombies"....

Administrator

England
    But dude....raping zombies?!? I honestly wouldn't mind another Dawn04 as i've really lightened up on the film over the years. My only criticism is raping zombies and human/zombie hybrids. That just sounds awful. Would you not agree?

that was sarcasm...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

that was sarcasm...

Well.......shit.

Use a damn smiley or something!

Super Moderator

United States
    Ha! Yeah....probably should have said "rapist zombies"....
    Just playing on the words, is all. Honestly, it does sound like we dodged a bullet on this one, which sucks. I'd been somewhat hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post
    I think the Zombie Diaries 1 & 2 already covered zombies being raped.

NOW IT'S PAYBACK TIME!
    I actually liked the 1st Zombie Diaries, especially considering budgetary restrictions, haven't seen the 2nd one yet. Is it really more of the same?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I actually liked the 1st Zombie Diaries, especially considering budgetary restrictions, haven't seen the 2nd one yet. Is it really more of the same?
    I enjoyed both of them.

The second is similar but it's primarily a single story.

This time it's Soldiers, not tweens, and it picks up around the same time the first film ends so you don't have to sit through another origin story.

I think both are good examples of how to approach low and no budget films. They didn't try anything to ambitious. They wrote and shot something that didn't require a budget and I think that is where a lot of other low and no budget films go wrong.

If you liked the first you'll like the second.

United States
    Ha, zombie leg hunchers. Talk about getting boned. I thought the whole baby thing in the first one was crap. It doesn't really matter to me if they made this, other than tarnishing what was decent about the first. No biggie, I just wouldn't have had any repeat viewings after the initial let down, nor owned the dvd.

United States
    I thought the whole baby thing in the first one was crap.
    Gotta agree with you on that. I liked Dawn04 but that storyline should have been cut. A person hiding they were bitten was already a zombie movie cliche' by that point and zombie baby was just dumb. It was dumber than hanging acrobat zombie.

But, a lot of comic book nerds and fanboys thought it was cool so what do I know. Guess you can't please all of the people all of the time but you can never go wrong by showing some boobies.

United States
    Sounds fun!

*ZING!*

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post
    Gotta agree with you on that. I liked Dawn04 but that storyline should have been cut. A person hiding they were bitten was already a zombie movie cliche' by that point and zombie baby was just dumb. It was dumber than hanging acrobat zombie.

But, a lot of comic book nerds and fanboys thought it was cool so what do I know. Guess you can't please all of the people all of the time but you can never go wrong by showing some boobies.
    Personally i dont understand peoples objection to the zombie baby storyline, was it sick and shocking? yes.. it was.. but zombies are not supposed to be pretty. it was good seeing a movemaker try something different and not just the same tired story arc's we have all see 1000 times before.

I Think it was a good twist and works well in the guidelines that snyder has created for himself (zombie infection passed on by bodilly fluid transfer) and im not a comic book nerd or snyder fanboy at all, also i will point out, there where zombie babies long before dawn 2004.