Thread: Great Interview with Glenn Mazarra

England
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

United States
    Great find, KG!

Note: I added the spoilers tag on the thread, just in case, based on some of the stuff he's talking about that takes place in the 2nd half of the series.

Pretty cool interview so far. My fav part to date was:

I started pitching a very gritty, Sidney Lumet–style Nash Bridges. I [pitched that Nash had an old case that he fucked up on] and Carlton said, “Hold on a second, it’s Don Johnson, he doesn’t make any mistakes. What else do you have?”
    CLassic Hollywood shenanigans.

This sounds promising:

But now, six months after Darabont left, with the first all-Mazzara episode about to air, can you say you have your own vision for the show?

I do. I see it as a horror show, and that just means to me that it needs to be incredibly suspenseful. That suspense could come from interpersonal drama or it could come from the zombie scare of the week. I’ve really been trying — and you’ll see in these next six episodes, but even in the midseason finale, which was the first final script that Frank did not touch — I’ve been trying to amp up the intensity of the show. To make it feel less safe, more dangerous, more in your face, taking away any good options for the characters. Their backs are against the wall and they’re frightened. I’m trying to keep the show as immediate as possible, so that an audience member can imagine themselves in that situation, and wonder, What would I do? That is something that I think I’m bringing to the show. Hopefully you can see that I’m trying to push people into new emotional territory.
    Still a lot of room for 'of-the-week' style mistakes, but we'll see. I hope a focus on immediacy doesn't derail consistency with regards to character development, story arcs and overall believability.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany