Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Walking Dead Season 2 Special Edition Blu Ray

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So i've gone over the entire set(excluding two of the commentaries). Honestly....I'm really disappointed in this. I was hoping the smaller featurettes would add up to something worthwhile, but they really don't. Of the dozen or so featurettes, only a couple of them are worth the viewing(McCreary's music, Ink-To-Film, and one on Nicotero's directorial debut). Many of them have already been seen online, as well.

The deleted scenes are interesting, but nothing truly amazing. The bulk of these being from the "lost" half of the premiere episode and I'm sure they'll all be online shortly if they're not already. The commentary for these deleted scenes is okay, but nothing to get excited over. It's basically Mazzara saying "we felt like this didn't work" over and over again.

The commentaries are quite bland. As I said before, i've got two left to listen through, but they're not keeping me interested at this point. Nicotero's commentary for his small series of webisodes is better than the commentaries for the actual TV series...

The transfers and all the technical aspects of the show look great in 1080p, but quite honestly.....don't bother getting this set if you have the show recorded or plan to watch it again as it's replayed in the months leading into Halloween.

Bottom line is this set feels like nobody cared. Even Kirkman in the commentaries sounds like he's lost interest in his series. Compared to how everyone was so enthusiastic in the features for the first season SE, this feels like a crew that's really lost it's drive. Here's hoping that enthusiasm returns for Season Three. It's a damn shame that Mazzara already confirmed that this will be the only release of Season Two. This thing doesn't hold a candle to the SE of Season One or the initial release of Season One!

Skip it. Just my .02

Couple Easter Eggs:
    On the special features menu, click toward the windmill and you'll see a funny clip of what REALLY made Lori run off the road.
    On the deleted scenes menu, click toward the blue truck and you'll see a montage of basically every zombie visual effect in the season with a running commentary by Nicotero.
    Last edited by bassman; 28-Aug-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    Um, that doesn't sound too good Bassy.

Thanks for the heads up though.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Anybody get the screwdriver zombie special edition? Hopefully you didn't order it online and it arrives on your doorstep looking like this....

What it actually looks like on the left, what we were told it would look like on the right.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Anybody get the screwdriver zombie special edition? Hopefully you didn't order it online and it arrives on your doorstep looking like this....

What it actually looks like on the left, what we were told it would look like on the right.
    Bloody hell! Really?! How is that even legal?

United States
    ordered mine from amazon, selected two day shipping, it arrived in one day....the universe just saved me five bucks.

i only purchased the regular set, but i'd be a little pissed if i'd selected the collector's set and it looked that much crappier than promised. tbh, i didn't think it looked all that good in the first place.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    MZ, there's some nice information on the commentary about the religious zealot that Dale listens to on the radio. Initially, the radio character was actually going to become a regular on the show. The group was going to hear his broadcasts throughout the season, eventually discovering his location, and he was going to join the group. In the process of the season they decided to scrap the idea of him joining the group, so the radio broadcasts were dropped entirely. Mazzara wasn't clear if there were other radio scenes that were also filmed, but they're not included on the dvd.

Also, a guy on another board I visit tweeted Mazzara asking what happened to the scene with Shane running and he says that he doesn't know why it wasn't included on the dvd. Which is strange, because he also mentions on the commentary that the Shane running scene would be included elsewhere on the dvd, but it's not. Unless it's an easter egg that i've yet to find.

BTW....here's one of the easter eggs on the dvd. What REALLY caused Lori to flip that car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCfayhIS9bM

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    BTW....here's one of the easter eggs on the dvd. What REALLY caused Lori to flip that car
    That happened to me once, Ruined my whole day. Hate it when that happens.

Super Moderator

UK
    Interesting ... I certainly found the radio zealot quite an interesting little bit there. It could have worked as just a one-off snippet inside that episode, I think. Just a touch of the outside world, lost out there somewhere, encroaching on their lives just that little bit.

BTW, Neil moved my deleted scenes review over to it's own dedicated thread here - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...-Delete-scenes

England
    Just recieved my Season 2 blurays through the post. 6 days from the US.
    The guy reduced the price as well as it retailed at $29.99 and the shipping was less than expected. Came in at just under £30.
    Well chuffed.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Just recieved my Season 2 blurays through the post. 6 days from the US.
    The guy reduced the price as well as it retailed at $29.99 and the shipping was less than expected. Came in at just under £30.
    Well chuffed.
    Nifty, almost like-for-like with the UK price ... well, online price anyway, not sure what it is on the highstreet.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Nifty, almost like-for-like with the UK price ... well, online price anyway, not sure what it is on the highstreet.
    To get around the customs issue he marked it as a dvd worth $8.
    Loving it so far. Some absolute gold in the commentaries so far.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA