Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TWD 2x08 "Nebraska" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by White_Zombie View Post
    Did any one notice how rick shot the fat guy in the head even though he was already dead? My speculation is DR.Jenner told him you don't need to be bit to turn.
    I was going to ask about that. Do we know yet if people who die of natural reasons come back?

-- -------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    I still feel that Lori's car accident was overdone, dramatically speaking, and cliched to boot with the whole taking her eyes off the road to look at a map being held against the front of the steering wheel.
    I agree, and the whole thing of her going off by herself to start with too... Really!?!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I was going to ask about that. Do we know yet if people who die of natural reasons come back?
    Within the context of the TV show, we do not know. However, in the comics....

Anyone who dies comes back.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    ^^ OK! Thanks! I've not read your spoiler as I've not read the comics...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    If the spoiler i've heard today about episode 12 is true, the end of this season is going to be absolutely incredible.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I originally thought it was the prenancy, but after 208 I'm thinking that it's the fact that everyone comes back regardless of how they die. That's why Rick gave them the double tap with headshots and I think he'll reveal that in the next couple of episodes. Maybe even 209 when they're held up at the bar....
    Hmm... I think you're on to something there. We still have yet to see someone die WITHOUT ever being bitten. Maybe that's what might be wrong with the farmer's daughter (fever, shock). The z-bug might have mutated into an airborne pathogen or something. And that could be what Jenner told Rick. I think we'll know for certain by the end of this season.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 16-Feb-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    The z-bug might have mutated into an airborne pathogen or something. And that could be what Jenner told Rick. I think we'll know for certain by the end of this season.
    Seeing as how Kirkman was inspired by Romero's trilogy, we won't ever know what caused the dead to rise, whether it be virus or what have you. Unless the people behind the show change it, or course. I cartainly hope not. Once this turns into Resident Evil it all goes downhill...
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Feb-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Seeing as how Kirkman was inspired by Romero's trilogy, we won't ever know what caused the dead to rise, whether it be virus or what have you. Unless the people behind the show change it, or course. I cartainly hope not. Once this turns into Resident Evil it all goes downhill...
    Agreed. But it is interesting that Rick made it a point to drop the Philly dude behind the bar with one round to the head, and his third shot to the heavy dude (who was already obviously done) with a headshot. He already knew that a headshot drops a walker through his past experiences with them, but the living too? Either he knows something for certain (ala Jenner) or I'm just looking way too deep into the storyline.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 17-Feb-2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Administrator

England
    Great episode, im really really happy to see the walking dead back on screens again. Alot of my thoughts have already been posted so rather than retread old ground ill just say 2 things..

Bar scene - great stuff, i was really starting to dismiss rick as a incapable leader and so far flung from his comic book character, the way he's been handling the whole herschel situation in the first half of this season was so stupid but the bar scene really restored some faith.

Dale - I REALLY hate dale. No-good, spineless, liberal, shit stirring, two faced son of a bitch. i cant wait for him to die..

Super Moderator

UK
    Woah, Andy ... what's with the Dale hatred? I really dig Dale's character ... but I wouldn't call him a 'spineless liberal', he doesn't strike me as being one way or another politically. He strikes me as the 'old sage' of the group who has many of life's experiences and regrets under his belt and it's from that well of life that he draws his views on things. He's a very reliable counter-balance to the over-wraught emotion of many of the other group. You need a counter-balance like that - Shane very easily flies off the handle, while Dale is very hard to push over the edge.

Anyway - my thoughts:

1) Wooooo! TWD IS BACK, BABY!

2) Mazzara had said how he wanted to bring in more wide shots to return a sense of open scale to the episodes - and he's succeeded here. I could tell right away there was a shift in the photography, from staging a tight conversation between Rick and Shane with a far off background in it, to some excellent wide shots - one in particular, from up on high at the barn looking over at the house, you suddenly see how far one is from the other (thus lending more credence to them not hearing shuffling walkers in the barn).

3) Good to see Shane's nicer side - when he's washing Carol's arms. He's seen what his actions have led to, and he partially regrets how it went down, but naturally he stills believes what he did was right. However it's good to swing his character back a bit so he doesn't become a mustache twirler.

4) Likewise, good to see Rick's dark side come through. I think it was right and wise of them to have Rick resist as long as he could to no go 'over the edge' - that's a very important thing for his character - he's really resisted (whereas Shane was quick to let his morals slip) until pushed to the nth degree - and the bar scene was excellent. I wasn't quite sure how it was going to go down, and you kind of ease into these two characters as Dave was kind of a funny guy, but then suddenly he says something and you can feel the palpable sense of potential threat. So it felt like a little cat & mouse game and there was some great tension there - then quick draw Rick comes out and he takes names. Obviously it's going to be a decision that leads to trouble (I'd wager that those guys really do have others in their group, and that's who Rick was defending against in some of those clips we saw in the teaser trailers a couple of weeks ago) - but this is the point where we now get the Rick from the comics (as he became - he did resist for a good while in the comics too, lest we forget, it's true to his character) who has is pushed into situations where he is forced to act defensively with extreme prejudice for the good of the group. So it's a nice shifting of the moral ground around Shane and Rick in this episode, bringing them closer, but also here shifting them to each other's sides ... the line is no longer defined - excellent.

5) Andrea taking a scythe to the zombie's head - noiiice.

6) A nice little scene with Glenn and Rick in the car regarding Maggie. It was also nice to hear more about Glenn's background (he has a mother and sisters) ... I wonder if we'll get a more personal moment between Glenn and Maggie where he opens up to her about who he has lost. We've never really seen that from him with the group - he seems to be handling the loss of his former life quite easily, but it would be interesting to see a more wounded side of his character that he's been keeping locked away for personal reasons, a side that he's only willing to share with Maggie.

7) Lori in the car - I felt the car wreck could have been staged a little bit better (e.g. driving faster to make the roll a little more likely to happen), but ah well ... ... and women drivers, am I right, guys? ... ... j/k - just messing.

8) Interesting to see the fallout from the events of the barn massacre - Carol revealing she'd said goodbye to Sophia long ago, Daryl totally disheartened by what he sees as his failure, Dale extremely concerned about Shane's dark side (and Lori not wanting to believe that), Carl's numbing to these horrors where he's beginning to see the cold hard truth of dealing with certain situations (getting that from watching his father have to step forward and take down 'Zophia') ... yes, interesting. They still need to do a little more with T-Dog, mind.

9) Interesting to see, now that Herschel has realised he was wrong about the walkers, that when those two guys entered the barn it positioned Rick, Glenn and Herschel on the same side - I think that scene will bring the two groups together as one from now on. It was nicely staged, that scene.

So anyway - excellent episode - and the first without any Darabont involvement at all (2x07 had some, but not a lot, so it seems) - and so I think we can safely trust Mazzara to shephard this show onwards.

Really looking forward to the rest of the season ... speaking of which, if anyone has read those spoilers going around on the internet regarding the rest of the season (and indeed the season finale) which Bassman alerted us to the other day, can I strongly advise that if you know how things ultimately go down in future episodes - SAY NOTHING - not even suggestive statements ... such statements can lead we viewers to then theorise according to the context of the episodes we've seen and come up with possible events, and then when one of those events unfolds, the surprise is gone - that's exactly what happened to me with Shane shooting Otis when I saw (elsewhere on the net) a suggestive statement that didn't out-right say what happened, but clearly something happened regarding specific characters, and knowing the context of 2x02 I was easily able to figure out what happened ... so as I've said - if you know any of the spoilers out there on TV gossip sites regarding how the rest of the episodes go down, PLEASE SAY ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT THEM ON HPOTD. Spoilers suck ... same goes for suggestive spoilers.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 18-Feb-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Dale - I REALLY hate dale. No-good, spineless, liberal, shit stirring, two faced son of a bitch. i cant wait for him to die..
    Don't see it as simple as that. He'd finally started making a connection and put everything he could into find the little girl, only for the world to spit in his face...
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Really good episode and great to have it back on TV again! I cant really add much more to what MZ has said above but regarding Dale, I like his character, and I can see him being set up as quite isolated from the rest of the group as things progress at least in the short term. He knows that Shane has turned into a dangerous hot head and has already been threatened by him more than once, but with Andrea knocking boots with Shane and others from the group agreeing with what Shane did at the barn, as well as Rick still clinging to their past friendship for now, it puts Dale in a bit of a lonely position so far with Glenn being his only real friend at the moment. Looking forward to next week now!

Great Britain
    Shoot out at the end was epic, also liked how Herschel was drunk but still knew trouble was a brewing and how poor Glen looked so shocked.

Super Moderator

UK
    Don't see it as simple as that. He'd finally started making a connection and put everything he could into find the little girl, only for the world to spit in his face...
    Erm, did you mistake him saying "Daryl" when he in fact said "Dale"?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Really good episode and great to have it back on TV again! I cant really add much more to what MZ has said above but regarding Dale, I like his character, and I can see him being set up as quite isolated from the rest of the group as things progress at least in the short term. He knows that Shane has turned into a dangerous hot head and has already been threatened by him more than once, but with Andrea knocking boots with Shane and others from the group agreeing with what Shane did at the barn, as well as Rick still clinging to their past friendship for now, it puts Dale in a bit of a lonely position so far with Glenn being his only real friend at the moment. Looking forward to next week now!
    Interesting theory regarding Dale in the group ... I think they're all pretty tight as a group in general, but there are definitely certain areas/topics/actions where dividing lines present themselves more.

-- -------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

I was going to ask about that. Do we know yet if people who die of natural reasons come back?[COLOR="Silver"]
    Well there was that one zombie hanging by the neck from a tree in an earlier episode of season two - suicide rather than 'natural causes' per se, but that's proof right there that if you die by non-zombie means you come back ... you could perhaps argue that he died, then got his legs munched, and then that brought him back ... but I don't think the 'zombie bite reanimating a dead body' would really be a workable method, so we're back to the normal thing of any death = zombie, which is consistent with the comics around about this point in their run (i.e. trade paperback/volume #2).

So as such - because we've already seen the effects loud and clear - that can't be what Jenner said, surely? It'd be a blown reveal if that was the case due to the hanged zombie that Daryl and Andrea come across in the woods at night.

Administrator

England
    Regarding dale, what do you want me to say? i dont like the character.. Firstly i dont think Shane is a "dangerous hot head" at all, far from it, ALL of his actions have been justified in the long run and he has never done anything to endanger the group, the polar oppisite i think, shane has saved the group several times and i could write you a dozen point list of things "hero" rick grimes has done to endanger the group. Dale on the other hand, I didnt like him in the comics and i dont like the direction they have taken with the character in the TV show either, He's very controlling, as he has tried to control andrea and shane both and starts shit stirring when he realises he cant.

I think he's going to try and turn the rest of the group against shane becuase he feels he has a personal vendetta with the man. Lets be honest, He dosnt know what happened to Otis, he is grasping at straws for a reason for the group to turn on shane.

My personal theory is that Dale likes Andrea, They are lovers in the comic, In the TV series however, Andrea does not like reciprocate his feelings, she likes Shane instead and that drives Dale crazy. Think im wrong? Watch the second series again, Dale only starts being hostile with shane AFTER he realises andrea likes him, the whole Otis thing dosnt seem to bother dale before that.

Honestly, i think dale is the most dangerous member of the group and he is out to destroy Shane in front of the group for purely personal reasons. it wouldnt suprise me if Dale set something up so that someone gets killed and the group blames shane.

He is a no good, jealous, controlling, snivelling, liberal coward of a little old man.. i cant wait for him to die. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Well there was that one zombie hanging by the neck from a tree in an earlier episode of season two - suicide rather than 'natural causes' per se, but that's proof right there that if you die by non-zombie means you come back ... you could perhaps argue that he died, then got his legs munched, and then that brought him back ... but I don't think the 'zombie bite reanimating a dead body' would really be a workable method, so we're back to the normal thing of any death = zombie, which is consistent with the comics around about this point in their run (i.e. trade paperback/volume #2).
    That guy was bit before he hung himself.. remember the note?

"Got bit, Infection Hit, World went to shit, Might aswell quit."

I put it in my signiture a while back

England
    I always assumed that the hanging zombie was somebody who had been bitten and so hung themselves hoping to not turn into one, but the infection was already in their body so they did anyway. I've never bought into the "everyone who dies regardless of cause turns" thing, I know its cast in stone in zombie lore, but it just doesnt seem right to me, I've always liked the disease explanation because it always seems plausible.