Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWD 2x09 "Triggerfinger" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Chasing Prey

Canada
    did anyone laugh when the guy fell off the roof onto the fence? in itself it wasnt funny but his yelling and the way his friends left him were

-- -------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

Things I liked
    1- Windshield zombie was amazing, his selfless pursuit to get to his meal as the glass ripped the very skin and flesh off of his head was brilliantly done and perfectly scary and intense.

that window zombie screamed nicotero just like the scene from land with the fingernails

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    re: Last edited by Wyldwraith; 2 Hours Ago at 04:22 PM. Reason: Correcting Thorn Being Wrong-Nth

"My bad".
    don't worry, not everyone takes everything so personally and with such sincerity....

-- -------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I don't know, Wyld, I find everyone brings their personal baggage to the table in these sorts of character evaluations.
    truth.

that is almost signature-worthy.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I don't think any of the characters are evil. Or even really jerks, really.

Dale has a lot of valid points about Shane. He did nearly murder Rick at one point, he did shoot Otis. What's he supposed to do? Get in a fistfight with a guy 30 years younger than he is? And he's right--- Shane is dangerous. And you can hardly blame him for being a bit paranoid about Shane after the conversations he's had with Shane.

Shane is the voice of reason. Shane is right; he saves the group. He is the one with the best plans. He's the realist. He's also been tossed aside by the woman he loves b/c Rick reappeared. That is slowly driving him crazy. Sure, he shot Otis. But they'd both be dead if he hadn't. And so would Carl. Shane clearly doesn't like what he has become, but he's confronted with being the only guy in the group who is willing to accept the responsibility of protecting people and surviving in a very violent and dangerous world. That's what drives him so nuts about Herschel; Herschel is refusing to see reality. That is the only crime for Shane.

Rick keeps the group sane and human, but he does it by making objectively foolish decisions because his Sunday school teacher would have approved. That's laudable in a lot of ways, but he's also risking the lives of the group to satisfy his morality. It's also somewhat hypocritical; Rick woke up after it was all over. If he'd lived through what Shane lived through he might have had the morals beaten out of him by reality. Instead he wakes up and starts tilting at windmills. Probably as many people have died because of his morality as he's saved.

That's the beauty of the show.

Fresh Meat

Canada
    For me this show just keeps getting better and better. Totally stoked about the the last couple episodes. Loved the nose / lip munching scene and what a look from Rick at the end of the episode.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Eat Flesh View Post
    For me this show just keeps getting better and better. Totally stoked about the the last couple episodes. Loved the nose / lip munching scene and what a look from Rick at the end of the episode.
    Yep, cracking episode IMHO.

Not sure why Lori decided (after her car crash) to wonder off in the 'wrong' direction? You'd think being injured and without a car, her first priority would be to get back to the farm and safety. But I guess that's no more dumb that her actions in the previous episode of just driving off alone and crashing the vehicle etc

Love her final summary of Shane
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    did anyone laugh when the guy fell off the roof onto the fence? in itself it wasnt funny but his yelling and the way his friends left him were

-- -------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

that window zombie screamed nicotero just like the scene from land with the fingernails
    It really did, I had friends who are not as passionate about the genre as us coming up to me and saying how that scene had an affect on them after watching it, or remarking on ho good the FX was. Such classic Nicotero, and amazing to see how far he has come in the industry.

-- -------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    don't worry, not everyone takes everything so personally and with such sincerity....

-- -------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

truth.

that is almost signature-worthy.

Agreed and agreed.

That is an amazing quote and it just speaks directly to the heart of a lot of fan debates.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    One thing I have noticed is the fact that Rick, and now Hershel, are growing as a post-walker survivors while Shane and the rest of the group is still operating in survival mode. Next week we get the scene where Rick baits and stabs the cop-walker in the eye at the fence after stopping Shane from shooting. Last season, in an exactly the same scenario, Rick shot a cop-walker at the fence after Morgan warned him about the noise.
    Character Growth since season #1:
    Rick and Hershel are actively adapting to the new paradigms.
    T-Dog, Glen, Maggie and Carl are beginning to change.
    Daryl and Andrea are on tipping points swinging back and forth.
    Lori, Shane, Carol and Dale are stuck in the old world and playing by those rules.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yep, cracking episode IMHO.

Not sure why Lori decided (after her car crash) to wonder off in the 'wrong' direction? You'd think being injured and without a car, her first priority would be to get back to the farm and safety. But I guess that's no more dumb that her actions in the previous episode of just driving off alone and crashing the vehicle etc

Love her final summary of Shane
    Could not agree more on these points, the lit of them. I wondered what would possessing her injured and alone with limited ammo to wander towards town... Maybe she was closer to it than the farm ? Her Lady Macbeth routine on Rick was amazing to see and loved how she is stepping up as more than den mother to a mover and a shaker.

-- -------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by toxic View Post

Dale has a lot of valid points about Shane. He did nearly murder Rick at one point, he did shoot Otis. What's he supposed to do? Get in a fistfight with a guy 30 years younger than he is? And he's right--- Shane is dangerous. And you can hardly blame him for being a bit paranoid about Shane after the conversations he's had with Shane.

Shane is the voice of reason. Shane is right; he saves the group. He is the one with the best plans. He's the realist. He's also been tossed aside by the woman he loves b/c Rick reappeared. That is slowly driving him crazy. Sure, he shot Otis. But they'd both be dead if he hadn't. And so would Carl. Shane clearly doesn't like what he has become, but he's confronted with being the only guy in the group who is willing to accept the responsibility of protecting people and surviving in a very violent and dangerous world. That's what drives him so nuts about Herschel; Herschel is refusing to see reality. That is the only crime for Shane.

Rick keeps the group sane and human, but he does it by making objectively foolish decisions because his Sunday school teacher would have approved. That's laudable in a lot of ways, but he's also risking the lives of the group to satisfy his morality. It's also somewhat hypocritical; Rick woke up after it was all over. If he'd lived through what Shane lived through he might have had the morals beaten out of him by reality. Instead he wakes up and starts tilting at windmills. Probably as many people have died because of his morality as he's saved.

Very interesting pointsbmany of which I had not given a lotion credit to before, I feel your framingbofvyour points presented them in a way that really allowed me to consider them in earnest. Well done.
    Last edited by Thorn; 23-Feb-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: passive aggressive hyper sensitive note.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by toxic View Post

I agree; been saying it myself in between the rick -shane polarisation going on over here and elsewhere (and the Dale bashing); TWD is at its best when the characters are as morally amibiguous as possible. There are no cookie cutter good and bad guys in their world, just a lot of miscommunication and people not being able to see another point of view than their own;
    a bit like the internet really
    Anyway; to me it's the Romero school of zombie writing; the characters have more to fear from their fellow humans than the actual zombies.

Solid episode with some really good suspense scenes and some fine acting. Loved it.
    Shane's slow descent is a thing to behold; the guy playing him may not be the best actor in the world but in these final few episodes he's doing a fine job.
    The guy might have made some right calls (clearing the barn, ...) it's his motivations that are questionable. Keeping the group together? He has a hard time keeping himself together. Can't wait for the inevitable explosion of violence and judging from that sneek peek at next weeks episode we might not have to wait that long.

Also; I hope they keep Herschel on as long as possible; that's one great actor. The scenes in the bar are among the finest in the series.
    @ Bass: Yeah, that wole bar scene had classic western written all over it. Hersch reluctantly picking up his six shooter,... Fantastic. A bit 'Unforgiven'
    Part two is of to a rocking start and we may have to give this Mazzara more credit than we thought.
    Last edited by krisvds; 23-Feb-2012 at 06:08 AM. Reason: .

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    He didn't even put matters as your average jerk of a teenager at a local makeout spot might to his date. (Ie: "Put out, or Get out!")
    I think Shane went considerably beyond "average jerk of a teenager" stage when he nearly raped Lori at the CDC. I think that incident played a big role in shaping Lori's view of Shane. I agree with toxic, though, none of the characters are pure good or pure evil, they're all deeply flawed in their own ways.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    I think Shane went considerably beyond "average jerk of a teenager" stage when he nearly raped Lori at the CDC. I think that incident played a big role in shaping Lori's view of Shane. I agree with toxic, though, none of the characters are pure good or pure evil, they're all deeply flawed in their own ways.
    Agreed, and I am sorry I was a teenager I never did this to anyone and I am hard pressed to think of anyone in my school who did and if we did get wind of it we would have dealt with it in house.

I also agree that the characters are all flawed and this is by design of course, and they make for interesting characters to follow and watch develop over time. We as humans are all flawed so it is in my mind much more interesting to watch characters who are like me... imperfect beings. It is why Superman comics never once appealed to me as a kid. Dude was too perfect, had one weakness... did EVERYTHING perfect all the time. Screw that guy, imagine hanging out with him, good luck getting chicks.

Maybe the headcases who didn't think they deserved a super guy

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Agreed with all points above. Stand-out episode, and great plot unraveling. Loved the windshield zombie, of course. I wonder what'll happen with fence-leg... I still am wary of Shane. I can see why y'all might think that maybe he's not the 'bad guy', but... I'm not so sure. Glenn totally blew it with um, what's-her-name though. I mean, he's a kid and inexperienced, but geez... I kinda wanted to shake him and yell in his face a little.
    But yeah, loving how everyone is flawed and has their own issues and everything. That's really great and reminds me of Friendship is Magic a bit.
    I'm gonna miss Sophia, and it was dumb of Carl to want to name the baby after her. Dumb kid, that's not what we do. I mean, yes we remember those who are gone, but I believe a new person should be a new person, right? What do you lot think?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I don't know, I just want them to man (or woman) the fuck up and shoot Shane in the face. He's clearly a danger to them all. It's annoying how only Dale sees it.

Great Britain
    Great episode At the start of it I was saying pick up the dead guys guns for godsake and to my shock they did lol, doesn't normally happen in TV show films etc.

Super Moderator

UK
    Sweet-arse episode last night!

1) The zombie forcing its head through the broken windshield was awesome - it's slicing it's own face off and it doesn't care. It just wants Lori.

2) Perhaps Lori was 'dazed & confused' after the accident, or perhaps Shane had driven in a different direction, or who knows regarding the direction she was walking in.

3) The little white lie to Lori that finally makes her think otherwise of Shane was nifty - indeed the end sequence where Lori is talking to Rick about Shane, and you can see Rick's thought process getting darker and darker ... the inevitable smackdown is-a-coming-folks!

4) Like Paranoid, I was glad to see them pick up the guns of the two guys in the bar.

5) The whole first 20 minutes of the episode rocked - excellent action, nice tension, and the kid getting his leg skewered on that fence as the zombies close in was kick arse. I did think to myself immediately "why not just yank it off in the opposite direction?" - but you do have to build some tension before you get to that point, so fair enough - so when they did I chuckled darkly. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

6) Nice little touch with Daryl ousting himself from the group, but then coming back in nearer the end of the episode.

7) Dale's reaction to Lori saying they hadn't given Carl "the talk" was hilarious.

8) Herschel was badass in this episode - they handled the transition from one version of his character to another very deftly in the last episode in the bar, so it was good to see him taking some names.

9) Speaking of which - zombie biting that guy's nose off - noiiice.

10) The other group leaving the kid behind was a nice touch to separate, in a very simple but effective way, the distinct difference in the moral code of our group and the other group we've just been introduced to.

11) Some nice character beats - such as Glenn's reaction to the whole ordeal at the barn, his growing affection for Maggie etc, as well as beginning to see Shane losing his grip (and him damn well knowing it too). Mmm - thar be some tasty meat on these here thematic bones.

So yeah - judging by the previews of the next episode on FXUK, and on AMC (having seen both, personally), it looks like the next episode is going to be spiffing too - seeing more of the outside world, some nice little vignettes that show the aftermath of what went before etc ... yeah, very much looking forward to the following episodes.