Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4:44 Last Day on Earth (film)

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Thank you, thank you for reminding me about this film! I remember hearing about it from another member here before it became available, and totally forgot about it. I'll definitely check it out, now that it's been released.
    Just a word of warning, the movie can get unconfortable for the motion sickness sensitive.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    You are kidding right?
    I found Melancholia to be the best film of last year. Tree of life coming in second ... Both beautifully shot, well acted fims. That opening slo mo montage in Melancholia was better than anything else last year.
    I'm not an artsy fartsy cinephile snob, though I enjoy the many Tarkovsky references in Von Triers work.
    I like Bergman too, especially 'hour of the wolf' BTW.
    What is it about Melancholia you guys found pretentious and pseudo -whatever?

nah, man i'm not kidding. as a lover of all things scandinavian, i've seen most of von trier's films. i find him very much a bore and pretty much a cheap imitation of dreyer and bergman. do i think he is a shitty film maker like boll? no. he has some talent. his problem is that he is so caught up in the scandinavian need to be "deep" about things, that it all comes off (to me at least) as very pretentious and rather empty. just tell a great, moving story like "wild strawberries" or "winter light" and the deepness follows, there is no need to try to force things to be all existential, transcendental, etc. that comes from the story you tell not in your preconceptions. again, this all just my opinion.

sorry it took me forever to get back to this thread - to be honest i forgot about this discussion for a bit but since you asked me to clarify, i hope i have. i'm pretty fluent in two of the scandinavian languages - norsk and dansk - all because of my deep love of the work of henrik ibsen. when you are willing to sit down and teach yourself another language (albeit a very easy one for english speakers) just to read the originals - that's being being a fan and showing a real love of a person's work.

on another note: flammen og citronen. is an amazing movie about the danish resistance during WWII and revolves around two of denmark's national heroes. highly recommended to anyone interested in scandinavian film or just in damn good WWII movies. for anyone worried: it's not artsy fartsy.
    Last edited by Mike70; 10-Mar-2012 at 02:05 AM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."