Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Day of the Triffids (film) - Sam Raimi

Administrator

England

Day of the Triffids (film) - Sam Raimi

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Luthe...imi-29724.html

Neil Cross has been hired to adapt The Day of the Triffids. The project will be the fourth time that the book has been transformed into a visual medium, as it was twice made into a television mini-series (once in 1981 and again in 2009) and Steve Sekely directed a movie version of the story back in 1962.
    The recent BBC adaptation was pretty poor, with ninja tree climbing triffids being the epitome of the poor writing! Let's hope any new film adaptation instead takes its queues from the brilliant 1981 version.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I've only seen the 2009 version and I quite liked it. But after your post, I'm gonna give the 1981 version a go. To be honest, I wasn't all that fuzzed about the triffids per say. More the apocalyptic setting.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I've only seen the 2009 version and I quite liked it. But after your post, I'm gonna give the 1981 version a go. To be honest, I wasn't all that fuzzed about the triffids per say. More the apocalyptic setting.
    The 2009 was pretty poor IMHO. Even down to the comical survival of Eddie Izzard in the plane crash, just by putting some vests around him, and walking out with trousers in tatters and covered in smoke - Aweful! And don't get me started on those stupid ninja CGI triffids!

The 1981 version is far closer to the book, much darker in tone, bleaker, more believable and IMHO far more enjoyable!

The 1981 version's triffids are much slower and - putting their low budget BBC special effects aside - much more believable!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    By 2013 the film The blinding is released by Neil Cross featuring one Bill Mason who wakes up in a New York City hospital and discovers the entire population has been blinded. He tries to calm people down and faces dangers of blind mobs, jumpers and sighted people who try to flee the city. Eventually New York City is being gutted by fire and Bill must make his escape....
    "WHAT THE F*CK HAPPENED TO DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS?!" Fans scream at the credits where a epilogue shows a alien space craft land and robots begin planting a unique crop.
    'To be continued'....

Ireland
    Oh no.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    By 2013 the film The blinding is released by Neil Cross featuring one Bill Mason who wakes up in a New York City hospital and discovers the entire population has been blinded. He tries to calm people down and faces dangers of blind mobs, jumpers and sighted people who try to flee the city. Eventually New York City is being gutted by fire and Bill must make his escape....
    "WHAT THE F*CK HAPPENED TO DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS?!" Fans scream at the credits where a epilogue shows a alien space craft land and robots begin planting a unique crop.
    'To be continued'....
    hasn't this idea been done several times already. the 2008 film "blindness" starring julianne moore comes immediately to mind.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    'To be continued'....
    Huh? What?

-- -------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Just found my comments on the first episode of the recent (daft) BBC remake:-
    thought it was average at best...

- Eddie Izzard waking up... Doesn't ask a single question about why the plane is in trouble - "oh dear"...
    - Just gets into a cubicle full of inflatable vests - "oh dear"...
    - Happens to crash land (in all the world) right next to/ontop of the lead characters - "oh dear"...
    - In a crazy moment equalling Indiana Jones surviving an a-bomb by jumping inside a fridge, Izzard comes out of a plane crashing into a city at X hunderd miles an hour, alive, with stupid looking comedy character clothes in tatters and trouser legs missing - "OH DEAR!!!"...
    - Then news lady comes out of the underground, wonders around for a minute or two before bumping into our hero and proclaims, "I thought I was the only one"? What in the 2 minutes you've looked love? - "oh dear"...
    - Our hero and news lady go to the Triffid farms, and off they go into the middle of the farm for no reason other than to risk their lives - "oh dear"...
    - At the triffid farm where X hundreds/thousands of triffids were. They have escaped, killing everyone there. Not a SINGLE triffid was still there just by random, or sitting by the person it had killed, feeding - in the end that's why the Triffids kill, they then sit there feeding for X days or weeks... But no, these new Triffids have other agendas, like getting out of the way of our heroes so they don't appear in the episode too soon - "oh dear"...
    - And then we have ninja tree triffids attacking swiftly from the air and scooping folks up...
    - Why cart Mason and Coker mile and mile away to kill them? What's wrong with a back alley? Other than to allow the Triffids to get involved?

Silly ill-thoughtout weak writing!

And what the hell is the point of Eddie Izzard? We need some other protagonist in a world where virtually everyone is blind, dieing, the world is crumbling and the triffids are on the rampage? Is that backdrop not enough for the writers to work with? When did we lose the ability to write good solid sensible scripts where the events and characters have some thread of common sense and realism to them?

It's akin to the new BBC Survivors series. The new one rushes around and they feel they need to add some big bad organisation to maintain interest? Why not like the original concentrate on the characters and the simple day to day events which in themselves are more than interesting (& realistic) enough? We don't need helicopters with soldiers flying around to maintain our interest, if the script is good enough.

Also why the need to throw a big name into every major role? Put unknowns in!
    -Carl Sagan

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    "WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS?!" Fans scream at the credits where a epilogue shows a alien space craft land and robots begin planting a unique crop.
    'To be continued'....
    Umm, has anybody actually read Day of the Triffids?

That's kinda how it starts.

Not sure where Rottedfreak is getting the idea that there will be no Triffids.

hasn't this idea been done several times already. the 2008 film "blindness" starring julianne moore comes immediately to mind.
    Day of the Triffids published in 1951, Blindness published in 1995.

28 Days Later and The Walking Dead ripped off their beginnings from Day of the Triffids as well.
    Last edited by Christopher Jon; 01-Mar-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: e

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post
    Day of the Triffids published in 1951, Blindness published in 1995.

i was simply pointing out that this is one of those ideas that has been used many, many times before in scifi. like body switching (my most hated plot device of all time), time travel, invisibility, etc.

United States
    i was simply pointing out that this is one of those ideas that has been used many, many times before in scifi. like body switching (my most hated plot device of all time), time travel, invisibility, etc.
    I'll agree with that.

I don't even think Day of the Triffids is a good idea for a film. Rami should do what everybody else does and take the ideas he likes, dump the rest, and make his own post-apocalyptic film.

Administrator

England
    I don't even think Day of the Triffids is a good idea for a film.
    What's wrong with it?
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Day of the Triffids 2009
    Jo emerges from a train wreck finding everyone blinded, she escapes a blind group who demand she helps them and drives a car into another, a policeman gropes the window and she emerges "Oh thank god! I..." then realises to her surprise.... HE'S BLIND!!!!!!

The bit with using a ex night watchman as a watchman for when the group grab supplies from a supply store really took the piss.
    Last edited by Rottedfreak; 02-Mar-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: fff

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

I don't even think Day of the Triffids is a good idea for a film. Rami should do what everybody else does and take the ideas he likes, dump the rest, and make his own post-apocalyptic film.
    maybe Raimi should make a remake of snyder's dawn remake, this time with zombies that hop like either kangaroos or bunnies. some of the them could be smart zombies, some could have their willy's wonkaing for human females, hell, some could even stick to ceilings (oh wait that's already been done). at the end of the movie, Ash falls into the flick out of nowhere and proceeds to save the world, break the 4th wall and say "hail to the king", then run off and try to find a bigger part in a spider man movie.

oh, and two of the zombies could be engaged in a never ending gunfight (wait that's been done before too - well doesn't matter in hollywood). i've never said this before on here but MULDOOOOOOOON!
    Last edited by Mike70; 02-Mar-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: d

United States
    What's wrong with it?
    Killer plants. It's where I draw the line.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Killer plants. It's where I draw the line.
    even the segment of "dr. terror's house of horrors" where killer plants are conniving to take over the world?
    Last edited by Mike70; 02-Mar-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: g