Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GAME not stocking Mass Effect 3?

Administrator

England

England
    Steam killed the high street store? Inevitable I guess. I like going in GAME though, I always drag my protesting girlfriend in every time we go shopping anywhere, the 3 for £15 deals always tempt me! I still like to actually look at and have a play with any hardware I might consider buying too, like I had a quick play on the Sony Vita on Sunday in a GAME store in York, something you cant do online. If GAME goes will there actually be anywhere left to buy PC games barring the poor selection they have in HMV?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Steam killed the high street store? Inevitable I guess. I like going in GAME though, I always drag my protesting girlfriend in every time we go shopping anywhere, the 3 for £15 deals always tempt me! I still like to actually look at and have a play with any hardware I might consider buying too, like I had a quick play on the Sony Vita on Sunday in a GAME store in York, something you cant do online. If GAME goes will there actually be anywhere left to buy PC games barring the poor selection they have in HMV?
    Gamestation, perhaps? Although I don't know what shape their finances are in either, so for all I know they're in the same trouble, or perhaps not. Haven't entered a Gamestation in years.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Gamestation, perhaps? Although I don't know what shape their finances are in either, so for all I know they're in the same trouble, or perhaps not. Haven't entered a Gamestation in years.
    GAME and Gamestation are owned by the same company so its in exactly the same state

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    GAME and Gamestation are owned by the same company so its in exactly the same state
    Oh they are? Hmmm - well that's weird, why not just combine the two companies and shed some of the weight? For instance there's both a Game and a Gamestation in my nearest city, but when they're both owned by the same company, what the hell is the point? It's like PC World and Currys in a way, although each business has a different focus, they're both owned by the same company ... whereas Game and Gamestation both do exactly the same thing, so you wonder what's going on there really.

Administrator

England
    They say that gamestation stores target hardcore gamers while GAME stores target more casual players but really Its to give you a false sense of competition and lure more people in. They actively encourage you to compare prices and they strategically price their games so there is a notable difference between stores but at the end of the day, your money is going to the same people.

Blockbuster is also owned by the same company

Super Moderator

UK
    Whoever this company is owning all these struggling businesses, they need better leadership!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    And so the devolution of our entertainment world begins.

Not long now guys, TV, internet, Video games, etc will all be replaced by one box in your living room, which will essentially be just talking to a bigger system somewhere else. Gone will be the days of having a better PC than someone else, modding your equipment, modding games, creating your own original work - it'll all be automated.

It's started with the OnLive service - it's only going to get worse. It's fucking Orwell all over. you'll be paying a monthly subscription to have your own computer, pay per play games, pay per fucking everything.

The glory years are definitely over, and now an avalanche of standardised, boring and licenced material will be the only thing you'll "own" - except you wont' own anything, the licence agreements will make sure that you only subscribe to services - rather than owning and enjoying your own tangiable things.
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 04-Mar-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: aqwdqdw
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Ireland
    ...and it'll all be as boring as feck...
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    And so the devolution of our entertainment world begins.

Not long now guys, TV, internet, Video games, etc will all be replaced by one box in your living room, which will essentially be just talking to a bigger system somewhere else. Gone will be the days of having a better PC than someone else, modding your equipment, modding games, creating your own original work - it'll all be automated.

It's started with the OnLive service - it's only going to get worse. It's fucking Orwell all over. you'll be paying a monthly subscription to have your own computer, pay per play games, pay per fucking everything.

The glory years are definitely over, and now an avalanche of standardised, boring and licenced material will be the only thing you'll "own" - except you wont' own anything, the licence agreements will make sure that you only subscribe to services - rather than owning and enjoying your own tangiable things.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I haven't bought a game in a store for years. Well, I did buy Empire: Total War in a store last summer or so. But two weeks later I bought the Napoleon and Empire Gold Edition for less money online.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

LOL exactly...

it's true though, I would lay real money on it. The market for owning things has already been proven to go to waste up against subscription based temporary services like iTunes...that mentality will sweep the world of entertainment until you've just got one screen in your house doing all the work....subscriptions and licences - and the world will lap it up hungrily.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    LOL exactly...

it's true though, I would lay real money on it. The market for owning things has already been proven to go to waste up against subscription based temporary services like iTunes...that mentality will sweep the world of entertainment until you've just got one screen in your house doing all the work....subscriptions and licences - and the world will lap it up hungrily.
    And then...

We can but dream, some might say...

Being Attacked

England
    Losing Game is hardly a massive loss from the high street, they can't compete with supermarket prices and they offer no better customer experience in going there. While it would be sad to see no video game centric shops left I can't say I would be shedding a tear for something that I've used once in 2 years.

Super Moderator

UK
    Things are looker bleaker by the day for Game.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/10-000-game...122313224.html

Embattled computer games retailer Game has put itself up for sale in a last-ditch bid to stave off financial collapse.

Its quarterly rent bill is due in a fortnight and failure to pay its landlords could push it into administration, jeopardising 10,000 jobs and wiping out investors.