Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cabin In The Woods (film)

United States
    ^^^>>> (< Me, unsurprised.)
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 15-Sep-2012 at 01:44 AM. Reason: huh?

Undisclosed
    I'm with shoot'em. Simply cannot understand all the love for this film.

It is seriously not funny ( for a satire, that's a bit of a problem), not scary ( for a horrorfilm, that's not good), is devoid of all suspense (ditto), is filled to the brim with dodgy CGI and isn't as smart as it thinks it is.
    In fact, it's the dumbest piece of shit I've seen in a long time. I tries to be a love letter to the genre that mocks all the well known clichés but doesn't do anything with that concept apart from filling the film to the brim with the very dam old, tired conventions. Like a snake finally biting it's own arse so to speak. It felt contrived in Scream and it does so now. I don't like all this meta-bullshit. If this overhyped shitfest is supposed to be among the best the genre has to offer nowadays we're a long way from the seventies/eighties.

Who is this Whedon anyway? Feels like the annoying prick back in highschool constantly raising his finger. 'I know the answer, teacher, I know the answer...' Kid thinks he's smart, gets on everybody's nerves.
    Last edited by krisvds; 15-Sep-2012 at 05:39 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    I'm with shoot'em. Simply cannot understand all the love for this film.

It is seriously not funny ( for a satire, that's a bit of a problem), not scary ( for a horrorfilm, that's not good), is devoid of all suspense (ditto), is filled to the brim with dodgy CGI and isn't as smart as it thinks it is.
    In fact, it's the dumbest piece of shit I've seen in a long time. I tries to be a love letter to the genre that mocks all the well known clichés but doesn't do anything with that concept apart from filling the film to the brim with the very dam old, tired conventions. Like a snake finally biting it's own arse so to speak. It felt contrived in Scream and it does so now. I don't like all this meta-bullshit. If this overhyped shitfest is supposed to be among the best the genre has to offer nowadays we're a long way from the seventies/eighties.

Who is this Whedon anyway? Feels like the annoying prick back in highschool constantly raising his finger. 'I know the answer, teacher, I know the answer...' Kid thinks he's smart, gets on everybody's nerves.
    I enjoyed the flick, but wasn't blown away but it.

And as for who's "Whedon?" I've two words for you! Buffy! Firefly!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Alien Resurrection

nuff said...
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    I've seen this flick (although haven't commented on it 'till now).

Let's just say this one deserved it's own "I have shamed myself...." thread, but I never bothered to write it up because... well... it would've been a large waste of my time. Yes, even more so than the other "shamed myself" flicks. How sad is that?

United States
    Wow. . I'm in the loved it camp myself. But not surprised it didn't appeal to everyone. Ahhh well, to each his own.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Wow. . I'm in the loved it camp myself. But not surprised it didn't appeal to everyone. Ahhh well, to each his own.
    it's a Clang sighting! quick someone trip him before he gets away...
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    it's a Clang sighting! quick someone trip him before he gets away...
    I'm still around on occasion man. Just not much gumption to post recently . . . Busy ya know . . . And lazy
    Last edited by clanglee; 19-Sep-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Hfgfgu
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Like I said before (I think), the majority of those who loved it are massive horror fans (particularly 80's), whereas those who hated it are casual horror fans. Thus, I get why some people don't like it.

That said, I still absolutely love it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Like I said before (I think), the majority of those who loved it are massive horror fans (particularly 80's), whereas those who hated it are casual horror fans. Thus, I get why some people don't like it.
    Perhaps, but that's not the case with me. The only reason I say that is, I'm a massive 80's horror fan, and I think this movie was just terrible. In fact, the ending became so ludicrous and completely stupid, my brain has tried to erase it from memory only to fail and fail again.

It's certainly a polarizing movie, that's for sure. There seems to be no middle ground.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 19-Sep-2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: .

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Perhaps, but that's not the case with me. The only reason I say that is, I'm a massive 80's horror fan, and I think this movie was just terrible. In fact, the ending became so ludicrous and completely stupid, my brain has tried to erase it from memory only to fail and fail again.

It's certainly a polarizing movie, that's for sure. There seems to be no middle ground.
    Same here, actually. I'm a 70s/80s horror fan myself and just didn't 'get' this film. I don't mind comedy in horror films, thoroughly enjoyed Bad taste, Evil dead 2, Braindead, ROTLD and so on. But this movie, ... Sorry, no. Actually being a horror fan and recognising all the little winks and nods to classic films made this film even worse.

Ireland
    Um, me neither. I'm so absorbed with the genre that picking out the references was relatively easy. In fact, I probably picked out more horror movie references than the majority of Whedonites that this film is mainly aimed at.

The problem with the film for me is that it just didn't work on either level. It's not funny and it's not horror. As much as I despise the "horror-comedy" sub-genre, I am always willing to give such films a chance and on the odd occasion (very odd occasion) you get one that works, like 'Shaun of the Dead'. But, most of the time they are UTTER CRAP.

Not that 'The Cabin in the Woods' is utter crap, but it certainly isn't the genre-changing masterpiece that some ejits are calling it. Mainly, these are the same people that think Whedon shits gold.

I can't help feeling that if they'd got to the lift/underground sequence much earlier, then it would have been better, but it wouldn't have saved the film for me. In the end it's just more Whedon hipster drivel. I guess if your a fan of the atrocious 'Buffy', then you'll like it.

Not that that's a problem. if people like Whedon's stuff, then more power to them, I say.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    I just recently saw this, and all I have to say is that this was probably one of the greatest horror films I've seen in the last decade. I was completely blown away by it - and that's not something that occurs with me seeing a film (and God knows especially a horror film) very often. I was actually surprised by how damn well done it was.

Okay, was it or was it not Cthulhu? My basic taking from the film was that it was a beautiful homage to The Cthulhu mythos.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    I just recently saw this, and all I have to say is that this was probably one of the greatest horror films I've seen in the last decade. I was completely blown away by it - and that's not something that occurs with me seeing a film (and God knows especially a horror film) very often. I was actually surprised by how damn well done it was.

Okay, was it or was it not Cthulhu? My basic taking from the film was that it was a beautiful homage to The Cthulhu mythos.

j.p.

Not necessarily The Great Old One Himself, but as you say, an homage no doubt

Glad to see you, ya old reprobate. I was wondering when you'd turn up.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I just saw it, and I really dug it.

That scene when the elevators opened... Damn.