Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cabin In The Woods (film)

Being Attacked

England

Cabin In The Woods (film)

Won tickets to an advance screening tonight to see Joss Whedon's Cabin In The Woods, supposedly a twisty modern take on the old 'teens alone in a forest' horror.

Very much looking forward to it as a big fan of Whedon and have purposely avoided all info on it ( not even seen the trailer ) . Know it's been getting some mixed reviews though.

Super Moderator

United States
    Congrats on winning the tickets, Knighty! I'm aware of the film, but haven't seen much about it.

Let us now what you think.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    I just watched the trailer and lost interest in viewing this over-hyped movie. It looks like a cliched mess.

United States
    I've had this film in my Netflix queue for about the last 2 years. You mean it's finally being released? I'm shocked! Here's another one to add to the 3rd Annual Halloween Horror Marathon later this year.

Of course, some very good horror films never see the light of day on DVD/Blu-Ray ("All the Boys Love Mandy Lane" - of course, I've got a copy of it anyway, ahem, so no need in worrying regarding that now as the studio just lost a fortune in waiting to release it). Here's hoping that the re-make of "Red Dawn" will actually be released sometime in my life as well as I'm anxiously awaiting that (the original is one of my all time favorites).

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Here's hoping that the re-make of "Red Dawn" will actually be released sometime in my life as well as I'm anxiously awaiting that (the original is one of my all time favorites).

j.p.
    Thought I was the only one who wanted that remake to see the light of day. I don't expect it to be any good, but that just means my expectation levels are optimized for possible enjoyment if I ever do get to see it.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Being Attacked

England
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    I just watched the trailer and lost interest in viewing this over-hyped movie. It looks like a cliched mess.
    I would say not to watch the trailer, it really doesn't show how the film is at all. Long as you don't read up on it you will not be disappointed.
    As for why it's not been released for so long it's because the original Production company (Spyglass I believe) went into administration and only this and Red Dawn survived. That and I think they have delayed released again to coincide with Chris Hemsworth & Whedon's popularity to rise due to the return of Thor in The Avengers .

As for an actual review it's very difficult as I wouldn't want to ruin the film for anyone. The trailer does the film no justice as to actually show you the proper plot would be a spoiler in its self.
    Suffice to say the entire film is very Whedon esque ( what with almost the entire cast having worked with him before and the director having written for Buffy) so unless you are a fan of Joss's writing and style you will probably not be a massive fan.
    But personally it's one of the best films I've seen in a long time and I didn't see where the film would be going, the cast are spot on and well written and the film is a real love/hate letter to the horror genre. You think you know what's going to happen but you really have no idea.
    Go in unprepared and knowing nothing about the film and as a horror fan you will love it

Administrator

England
    Very +ve review at cinemablend 4.5/5

http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/T...oods-5775.html

-- -------- Post added 13-Mar-2012 at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-Mar-2012 at 04:35 PM ----------

Love from AICN - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54177

-- -------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Knighty View Post
    Go in unprepared and knowing nothing about the film and as a horror fan you will love it
    Exactly what I plan on doing!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hahaha while reading this thread a commercial for it came on TV!

I've been anticipating this movie for quite some time now. Can't remember the last time I was this excited for a horror movie to come out. Hoping to see it during the day some time this weekend!

Administrator

England
    ^^ Give us a (non-spoiler) review please!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Looks muddled as hell--like Cabin Fever, Hostel, The Strangers, and Saw all in one.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Purge View Post
    Looks muddled as hell--like Cabin Fever, Hostel, The Strangers, and Saw all in one.
    Pretty sure they're dumbing down the trailers to make it look like those movies (in order to draw in the teenage $$$), but it isn't at all.

Being Attacked

England
    Quick non spoiler review - Worth Your Money.

There, done

United States
    Dang, this today or the Stooges...
    Decisions, decisions.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Dang, this today or the Stooges...
    Decisions, decisions.
    Stooges? Getting very mixed reviews isn't it?
    -Carl Sagan

Being Attacked

England
    Stooges? I know I said above don't judge a film by its trailer but my god Stooges looked awful.