Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: TWD 2x12 "Better Angels" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Administrator

England
    Dont worry, next season they can just lock carl in a cell

United States
    Great Episode! I'm slowly getting caught up on TWD.

Good riddance to Shane. He was done and needed to go. It really was over for either Shane or Rick when they had the fist-fight at the school, and I'm glad it was Shane who exited. As I have avoided any spoilers (not even reading this board for weeks) and I have not read the comics I was completely surprised to see Shane get killed. If you'd asked me whether it was possible or not I would've said his character was too important to the show's success to kill him.

Anyone who wants to argue about Shane's bad-assery being an asset in the new zombie world can eat their words now. Shane wussed out when it came time to pull the trigger. He let Rick get him. I like what someone noted earlier in the thread ... I think there was a self-destructive, almost suicidal, aspect to Shane. Did he really lose to Rick? Or did he recognize that Rick needed to win?

And Dale. I liked Dale a lot. But he had gotten too preachy. Too mired in his one-trick moralistic argument. Both Shane and Dale had become so over-the-top in their opinions that it was implausible. It was hurting the show's believability to have either of them. So while I will miss Dale I think he needed to go too. The show needs better balance. It needs a core group that is believable, plausible, and (mostly) united. Some conflict is good, of course, but they'd strayed way too far down that path. I think the current cast is right for moving forward.

Herschel is a good example. He's become a very good character after his fall from righteousness. He makes good decisions now. Decisions that make sense for his character and that viewers aren't left just shaking their heads.

And Daryl is back! I got really down on TWD when Daryl stopped showing any concern for the group. Having Daryl and Glenn track down Randal in the woods was classic Daryl and such a great scene. Daryl is one smart cookie, finding tracks, checking for bites, piecing it all together. If Shane had been successful in killing Rick it would've taken about 30 seconds for Daryl to piece together what really happened.

And Daryl has about the best centered moral compass of any of them. He can be tough like Shane. But he will take risks for the sake of others like Rick would (as evidenced by the fact that Daryl is the FIRST to go searching for anyone who is missing). He is a great balance of idealistic and pragmatic. And Daryl is every bit as good at any of them at surviving.

I liked the showdown with Shane. But I hated the cut-scenes of carnage as Shane was waking back up. I'd prefer that they NEVER show us anything of what it's like to be a zombie. It ruins the unknown horror of it all.

I was irritated by the plot holes. Rick let Shane lead him around in a circle until they were within sight of the farm again? A horde of zombies appears just over the hill? Wow.

Again, great episode!
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I liked the showdown with Shane. But I hated the cut-scenes of carnage as Shane was waking back up. I'd prefer that they NEVER show us anything of what it's like to be a zombie. It ruins the unknown horror of it all.
    I really thought the Shane to zombie transformation was disturbing. Instead of the often mentioned entire life flashing before one's eyes or serene floating into a bright light mentioned by many who were brought back from clinical death, now the last thing you see is images of having to exist in eternal hell.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    I really thought the Shane to zombie transformation was disturbing. Instead of the often mentioned entire life flashing before one's eyes or serene floating into a bright light mentioned by many who were brought back from clinical death, now the last thing you see is images of having to exist in eternal hell.
    Shane being Shane, I thought they were just showing flashes of the usual stuff in his thoughts. Who would have imagined that it was zombie transformational flashes?
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 09-May-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    And Daryl has about the best centered moral compass of any of them. He can be tough like Shane. But he will take risks for the sake of others like Rick would (as evidenced by the fact that Daryl is the FIRST to go searching for anyone who is missing). He is a great balance of idealistic and pragmatic. And Daryl is every bit as good at any of them at surviving.
    Very well said!