Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L.A. Noire (video game)

Chasing Prey

Canada

L.A. Noire (video game)

i LOVE this game. even with the version that didnt have all the missions on it.....it deserves to be made into a movie. without a doubt one of the strangest games i've ever played because of how accurate they portrayed 1947 los angeles and all the cases that were carbon copies of real incidents.

check it out if you can

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...-debut-trailer

I agree, though. I thought it was a very underrated game and had a great time with it.

Administrator

England
    tbh i lost all interest in LA Noire the moment i found out it dosnt really matter what you do in the cases, you still get the suspect and cant lose.

Takes the fun out of a game when you know you cant lose for me. Still havnt finished it and probably never will.

Ireland
    Yeh, me too. It's a game with no game. Pointless really.

It would have been great if there was an actual game involved, but unfortuantely that tends to alienate the casual xbox kid.

Imagine how much better 'LA Noire' would have been if you actually had to think and solve the case all by yourself? And if you screwed up enough, you go busted DOWN to Vice.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Yeh, me too. It's a game with no game. Pointless really.

It would have been great if there was an actual game involved, but unfortuantely that tends to alienate the casual xbox kid.

Imagine how much better 'LA Noire' would have been if you actually had to think and solve the case all by yourself? And if you screwed up enough, you go busted DOWN to Vice.

i'd say solving those dozen or so riddles is thinking enough. theres no hints

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    tbh i lost all interest in LA Noire the moment i found out it dosnt really matter what you do in the cases, you still get the suspect and cant lose.

Takes the fun out of a game when you know you cant lose for me. Still havnt finished it and probably never will.
    aye ditto, ina story heavy game there must be recompense for failure, thats what separates it from a cgi movie and makes it a videogame.

Heavy Rain is a great example of this. It does the 'cinematic feel' job just like quantic dream and remedy are both known for but its still a game. you can fail, utterly and completely and if all 4 characters die early then ethan never saves his son and he drowns. simple as that. a character could accidentally die in a fire and then the game ust continues and anything that goes wrong in the overall story because they died is your fault. not some plot point you cant hange -im looking at you bioware- and la noire by all accounts doesnt do it like this when a murder mystery really should have.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    i'd say solving those dozen or so riddles is thinking enough. theres no hints
    Aye like you said, great atmosphere, great setting, potentially an amazing game but what we're saying is, when it dosnt matter what you do, when you get the criminal and solve the case no matter what decisions you make, it really robs the entire gameplay and turns it into a interactive story rather than a game.

Super Moderator

UK
    i LOVE this game. even with the version that didnt have all the missions on it.....it deserves to be made into a movie. without a doubt one of the strangest games i've ever played because of how accurate they portrayed 1947 los angeles and all the cases that were carbon copies of real incidents.

check it out if you can
    Glad you're digging it. I got it last year when it first came out and really enjoyed it, I found the interrogations quite tense, and loved the atmosphere and the feel of being a detective searching for clues and piecing together the info when asking suspects questions etc.

The issue of it being 'too guided' in that you can never really fail is a valid criticism, but I never really felt too constrained by it. It would have been nice in later stages of the game for such things to have more of an impact upon your investigations, but the sheer atmosphere of it all overpowered any negative criticisms for me. Indeed I do want to replay it at some point to re-experience the atmosphere - which included excellent chase sequences that genuinely had my heart in my mouth.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As mentioned above, I think LA Noire's merits were in the atmosphere and living out the experience of that profession and era rather than achieving points or "winning" the game. It's like living in a movie. Something that i've enjoyed in certain recent games. It's not all about obtaining a certain amount of points or a certain goal, but about living out the experience of someone else.

Red Dead Redemption and Ghostbusters both come to mind. With RDR it's more about living out every boy's dream of being in a western, while in GB it's about living out the third film of the franchise. I don't think all games should be the same, but it's certainly a nice change of pace.
    Last edited by bassman; 14-Mar-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    ^^
    Well said Bassman - I agree with you about RDR and GB, you get to live out a childhood fantasy in both, with the former have terrific atmosphere. I must give Undead Nightmare another spin, come to think of it. I absolutely loved RDR and have played that twice now, with many an hour spent riding through the wilderness, shooting down random bastards. Actually, this just sprang to mind recently, I was always trying to buy the best horse in that game, but could never get it to appear ... I've just realised that I needed to 'activate' the certificate in my inventory ... so I spent that whole game, twice, riding around on the most basic horse!

While it would have been nice to have your actions affect the investigations more in L.A. Noire (for further immersion), it never was much of a problem to me in general. I was just so wrapped up in essentially playing L.A. Confidential (which was clearly a heavy influence upon Team Bondi during development). However the attention to real life period detail and inspiration from real cases (e.g The Black Dahlia murders) was really gripping and kept me thoroughly involved. It was a nice change of pace to be on the right side of the law in this game, and chase down the bad guys, interrogate perps, link clues to the right question and the right suspect (which does give you a higher 'score' if you will, in terms of your end of case report ... so if you're really shit and cause a lot of damage, your score is lower, but if you're really good and don't prang your motor, you get a high score ... although the affect of that is limited) ... so yeah, the atmosphere was excellent.

The homocide desk was the best, with traffic being second-best, in terms of the interest of the cases ... I was a little disappointed that Vice didn't involve more of the classical Hollywood movie world, and that it wasn't as seedy during the missions, and then Arson was an interesting way to bring the game full circle ... but there was nothing quite like the thrill of turning up at a new murder scene and examining the area for clues and then tracking down the killer ... although ...

being that the killer was found to be someone else entirely, rather than several people, at the end of the homocide desk, I was disappointed that the plot of homocide wasn't wrapped up enough - like, what happened to the guys you found to be the killers originally?

Hopefully they're do a sequel - it's certainly on the cards, I think - so if they could incorporate some tweaks then that'd be cool.

-- -------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

This video really made me laugh last year when I was playing the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K793nF3csgQ&hd=1

Administrator

England
    What's the gameplay time for this games roughly? ie: How many hours to finish it roughly?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Glad you're digging it. I got it last year when it first came out and really enjoyed it, I found the interrogations quite tense, and loved the atmosphere and the feel of being a detective searching for clues and piecing together the info when asking suspects questions etc.

The issue of it being 'too guided' in that you can never really fail is a valid criticism, but I never really felt too constrained by it. It would have been nice in later stages of the game for such things to have more of an impact upon your investigations, but the sheer atmosphere of it all overpowered any negative criticisms for me. Indeed I do want to replay it at some point to re-experience the atmosphere - which included excellent chase sequences that genuinely had my heart in my mouth.

i was extremely late getting the game bcause i didnt own a next gen system til late last year. great game and it really never gets old.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    i was extremely late getting the game bcause i didnt own a next gen system til late last year. great game and it really never gets old.
    If you haven't already, you should play Red Dead Redemption next. Imo, the best game of 2010 and one of my all time favorites.
    Last edited by bassman; 15-Mar-2012 at 12:56 AM. Reason: .

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    If you haven't already, you should play Red Dead Redemption next. Imo, the best game of 2010 and one of my all time favorites.

i bought the undead nightmare almost a month ago, its pretty good so far.

-- -------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    What's the gameplay time for this games roughly? ie: How many hours to finish it roughly?

well if you play the game with no walk throughs its stupidly long and boring because you dont know what the hell to do. so with the walk through help idk maybe 3 weeks tops is what it took me and thats with me not playing it every day

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Shame not on PC
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan