Thread: Jon Bernthal Interview

United States

Jon Bernthal Interview

Question" The sense I got during that final scene was that Shane is processing like 10 million different things at once and trying to make sense of it all. He’s thinking about his relationship with Rick, his relationship with Lori and Carl, the safety of the group. In terms of Shane’s mental state at that point, what were you trying to get across?

Answer: There’s a whole part of the character that I think some people may or may not pick up on, but I think there’s a part of Shane himself that knows he is no longer fit to be among the people. He knows how much of a danger he is. He knows now he’s killed yet another human being, and I think a part of this is him really spurring and challenging and getting Rick to step up and encompass what Shane has and take Shane out. I think there’s a suicidal flavor. There’s a flavor there that’s really saying, “Come on, man, I’m challenging you to be the man that’s fit to raise the woman I love and the child I love and my child on the way. Come on and step up, raise your gun.” And there’s a part of him that so desperately wants Rick to be that man, and when Rick finally does it, there’s an element of some sort of relief.

Interesting stuff, full interview here:
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/11/jo...-dead-shocker/
    Last edited by Thorn; 13-Mar-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: clarity

England
    His last paragraph about what he did when they shot the last episode is gold...it's almost like something a nice version of "Shane" would do.

I really hope this guy gets plenty of work in the future,he gave us a wonderfull character who was hated, loathed, pitied, feared and loved...all at the same time. He did a fantastic job as far as I am concerned, the more he spiraled into madness, the better he got.

And Jeff DeMunn = Class.

Thanks for posting the link, Thorn.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 13-Mar-2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    His last paragraph about what he did when they shot the last episode is gold...it's almost like something a nice version of "Shane" would do.

I really hope this guy gets plenty of work in the future,he gave us a wonderfull character who was hated, loathed, pitied, feared and loved...all at the same time. He did a fantastic job as far as I am concerned, the more he spiraled into madness, the better he got.

And Jeff DeMunn = Class.

Thanks for posting the link, Thorn.
    Could not agree more! And as always my pleasure!!

ALSO: More avilable here from Kirman
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/11/wa...ert-kirkman-2/

Q- Over the last few shows Rick repeatedly insisted that Shane was fine despite considerable evidence that he was actually quite nuts. Do you think in his heart of hearts he knew that some kind of showdown like this was inevitable?

A- It’s important to note that Shane was his best friend. So no matter how much he knew, he didn’t want to admit to himself that he knew. It wasn’t until that walk out into the woods, when Shane was leading him to his death, that he really kind of accepted the fact that, Wow, this guy is not the guy I knew any more.

Q- So what were all those walkers doing in the woods at the end of the show? Were they attending some sort of-getting-back-to-the-country zombie-Phish show? What’s going on?

A- Look, there’s a very large grouping of zombies in the woods milling about, Much like the zombies that we saw on the highway in our premiere episode, just a large herd of zombies. What they were doing in those woods and how they got there and where they’re going now is all something we will be dealing with.
    Last edited by Thorn; 14-Mar-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: to add