Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chernobyl Diaries (film)

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumsfeld View Post
    I hope that in the next ten years people (like me) start to write more scripts that derail from the traditional couple gets lost and finds something crazy and everyone dies but one person routine. Originality has been lost for some time now and we need to change that.

Well its not so much lack of originality but lack of creativity. Originality in horror is literally none existent. it is a 6 point narrative of mental of physical isolation followed by a predetermined series of plot events leading to a resolution. Thats not changed for centuries and wont change anymore than less than 6 of them any time soon.
    Its what you tell with the structure, not the structure itself that makes a film good. Look at a lot of the greats, incredible basic plots, but its the execution and subtext that makes it shine.

Aaland
    Danny, I should have switched originality for creativity. Great observation.

Administrator

England
    Oh dear - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55988

However, the real failing of this movie falls at the feet of Oren Peli, whose original story is the basis for CHERNOBYL DIARIES and who had a hand in penning the screenplay with Carey and Shane Van Dyke. This trio gives no life to any of the characters they’ve created making for a horror movie not only lacking horror but also personality. If you’re not having fun watching a horror movie, then there’s something seriously wrong… and there’s plenty seriously wrong with this flick. But is there any sin worse than making a horror film boring? I'm not quite sure about that.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm going to see this right after I watch Paranormal Activity again!

Which is never....

I have to agree with bass on this one. DO. NOT. WANT.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'm going to see this right after I watch Paranormal Activity again!

Which is never....
    i'll probably give this a watch sooner or later (probably later). i did just sit through a movie about genetically altered tree sap turning people into zombies-seriously and no shit; Chiller is unleashing some movies that are sooooooooo bad they have to be seen to be believed. if i can make it through that, i'm sure this will be a breeze to watch.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i did just sit through a movie about genetically altered tree sap turning people into zombies-seriously and no shit; Chiller is unleashing some movies that are sooooooooo bad they have to be seen to be believed. if i can make it through that, i'm sure this will be a breeze to watch.
    Hey, I liked Severed! That was still early in the Zombie fad/re-emergence and it was decent for my viewing pleasure ca. '05.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Bummer. It looked atmospheric as all get-out, I'll see it eventually, but I won't be seeing this in the cinema (never would have, mind you), but this has put me off getting the DVD.

Saw some bother on the net recently where a Chernobyl charity kicked up a fuss about this movie, saying it was disrespectful etc, and well - clearly they've not heard of the STALKER franchise of videogames.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Hey, I liked Severed! That was still early in the Zombie fad/re-emergence and it was decent for my viewing pleasure ca. '05.
    it's the whole "tree sap" plot device that i can't get around. i will admit that it is a bit more imaginative than the usual reason given for zombie outbreaks.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    I actually liked Severed because it had an original story compared to the usual rehashed formula crap of:

[Cue loud irritating hipster music]
    Obligatory opening scene of a university campus.

A group of frat boys and sorority girls decide to go on a vacation.

One of the frat boys is an obnoxious nobhead whose girlfriend is the stupidest sorority chick

Group gets stranded in a scary location.

Group manages to piss off/summon/release zombies/inbred locals/mutants.

Obnoxious nobhead's girlfriend is the first to get killed and he goes on a temper tantrum blaming everyone else in the group.

Obnoxious nobhead runs off and gets killed.

Group goes on to do stupid things that gets them killed off one at a time.

The only survivor is chick that magically turned into Rambo halfway through the movie.

If you act now, you can get these absolutely free!

Your choice of a "away team red shirt" minority guy- a black gangsta or a nerd asian that gets killed first letting the stupid sorority chick show of her cans one more time before she gets offed.

AND!

You get an ex-army seal special green beret forces super sniper who after doing 5 tours in Nam and 3 in Iraq secretly decided to join the fraternity.

All of this absolutely FREE if you call now!

Undisclosed
    Saw CD last night. Rather lame characters and dialogue, but some decent scares. 6/10.

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    A group of frat boys and sorority girls decide to go on a vacation.

One of the frat boys is an obnoxious nobhead whose girlfriend is the stupidest sorority chick

Group gets stranded in a scary location.

Group manages to piss off/summon/release zombies/inbred locals/mutants.

Obnoxious nobhead's girlfriend is the first to get killed and he goes on a temper tantrum blaming everyone else in the group.

Obnoxious nobhead runs off and gets killed.

Group goes on to do stupid things that gets them killed off one at a time.

The only survivor is chick that magically turned into Rambo halfway through the movie
    seems legit.