Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: TWD 2x13 "Beside The Dying Fire" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by rgc2005 View Post
    Agreed.
    Seeing the group flip out when Glen brings back toilet paper or a functioning iPod would be nice.
    PS, I listened to a Mazzara interview and he admitted to reading these boards looking for tips. Maybe a Mod should create a special heavily modded "Glenn Mazzara Please Read!!!" thread??
    Well if he happens to be reading this, then I'd very much like a job, please.

Then I can satiate some of my HPOTD brothers (a whole episode dedicated to waking up, realising it's the end of the world, and then having a bit of a lie in), and irk the rest (we see every single footstep, inhaled breath, exhaled breath, eye scratch, bum scratch, ear wiggle, bum jiggle, and polite cough for every single member of the group lest "realism" be burnt at the nearest stake made of nitpicks), muahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa!

Also wanted to say that I went back to pay closer attention to the RV, and indeed as I can now see (I was too distracted by all the sheer chaos happening on screen), that poor old Dale's RV was indeed burnt to a shell ... awww.

Plus, I'm surprised Neil hasn't complained about this yet.

Many more new memes here - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...455#post281455 - by the way.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 24-Mar-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Amen. That looks beautiful, too!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Nope... Some of the scenes are certainly shown to imply actual real time...
    - Twice we see him shooting NINE or MORE times in one sequence. I don't believe a regular shotgun can hold that many rounds? Can someone comment?
    The only shotgun I have seen on the show that holds 8+1 is Shane's Mossberg 590, which Glenn was using during the zombie rodeo.

Herschel's unlimited ammo was noticed by MANY people and has become a running joke. Just do a google search on "the walking dead herschel unlimited ammo". They were even talking about it on a football forum.

If the writers keep on this path, the show will start to look like the House of the Dead movie.

Last edited by Neil; 25-Mar-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    Herschel's unlimited ammo was noticed by MANY people and has become a running joke. Just do a google search on "the walking dead herschel unlimited ammo". They were even talking about it on a football forum.
    True, but I don't think it's a big deal for most of the 7 odd million viewers. It's the internet and if people don't bitch they'll shrivel up and die. I also agree with Moonknight (I believe), who said up thread, if the biggest thing some people on the internet have to get in a huff over is a common picayune gunplay trope, then they're doing something right on this show.

That said...

If the writers keep on this path, the show will start to look like the House of the Dead movie.
    I think that's a bit of an overreaction, but I do sympathize. My one hopeful thing I can say in this regard is that the community is sooooo loud and Kirkman and Mazarra seem pretty responsive and hooked into the community's feedback that they may learn from this. That's my hope, anyway.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    How am I over thinking it... I was watching it (the first time) and my brain cried foul!!! And more than once! All you could see and hear was this self-reloading, dozen shell holding shotgun blasting away. I rolled my eyes. It was just a bit daft, and even more annoyingly just totally unnecessary!
    As I watched this sequence I too cringed at the Hershal shotgun scenes. For the record the shotgun he was firing holds 4-5 in the tub and one chambered. I carry an 870 for work and it holds 4 in the mag and 1 chambered. The shotgun Glen has, has a mag tube extension on it which typically adds 3 rnds to the mag capacity. So he would be able to fire 7-8 rnds. The head shots from the car with handguns bothered me even more. I am a very good shooter and that is more than difficult. Gimme a 12 gauge with buckshot and I could get some headshots in for sure.

But even though those scenes bothered me this is my favorite show on television ever. Call me a fanboy I dont care. I've been waiting for something like this since I saw Dawn at a drive-in.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I don't see how shots heard off screen are meant to be Hershel. Sure, they could be, but how many people were shooting on the farm at the point? It could have been anyone...
    Well, not really.... how many people actually had shoutguns? I count herschel and glenn. That point was just made.... by you i think. So that raises the probability of offscreen shotgun blasts being herschel to 50%.

-- -------- Post added at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 AM ----------

Exactly. He obviously beat the walking dead in under 5 hours.

-- -------- Post added at 04:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 AM ----------

Plus, I'm surprised Neil hasn't complained about this yet.

Many more new memes here - http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...455#post281455 - by the way.
    This is the point that i brought up earlier in the thread. You bring up a glaring continuity error on people want to bring up the most trivial things.

Ok. For the purposes of immersing youserlf into anything whether it be A book, a game or movie, Anything that takes you out of the moment is not a good thing. Now we don't see people relieving themselves on camera but it's easily explained. We can say with certainty that people went to the bathroom even if we didn't see it just as if asked if they were breathing as well. The blazer? It could have easily been inside herschel's truck. Fine whatever that doesn't bother me. Alot of things in film that happen offscreen are just assumed and accepted.

But the Herschel Shotgun/ammo thing there's not explanation for. It's not happening offscreen. It's happenning right before our eyes.

He.....is......not.......relaoding. Yet continues to fire shot after shot.

Upon seeing this blatant "cheat" I am immediatley taken out the scene cause by all rights, standing where he was, the old man should be dead.

Last edited by darth los; 25-Mar-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: .
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Upon seeing this blatant "cheat" I am immediatley taken out the scene cause by all rights, standing where he was, the old man should be dead.
    Pretty much my take on it too. He'd stop for 10-20seconds to reload (in the dark, under pressure), by which time he'd have half a dozen zombies on him... But nope, the writers forbade that, so it felt wrong and a bit like a cheat. So it detracts from the scene...

-- -------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    That (although obviously edited for greater effect) is pretty funny
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh for the love of Dale, are we still talking about this f*cking shotgun issue?!

Can we PLEASE talk about something else already?!

Administrator

England
    Oh for the love of Dale, are we still talking about this f*cking shotgun issue?!

Can we PLEASE talk about something else already?!
    Come on! That video is pretty clever/funny!

And besides, we were covering important blazer related matters just a second ago! What more do you want?!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rgc2005 View Post
    PS, I listened to a Mazzara interview and he admitted to reading these boards looking for tips. Maybe a Mod should create a special heavily modded "Glenn Mazzara Please Read!!!" thread??
    He mentioned this board by name? There are several TWD forums out there. I doubt he would be too interested in a forum not specifically dedicated to the show. Although we do know for sure that Norman Reedus has been here, thanks to Tricky.

While I hate to continue adding to the silly shotgun debate....after a quick google search I found that there are indeed shotguns that can hold ten shells. I'm no expert, so I have no idea what Hershel was using, but it is possible....
    Last edited by bassman; 25-Mar-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Come on! That video is pretty clever/funny!

And besides, we were covering important blazer related matters just a second ago! What more do you want?!
    Yeah the video was okay, but can we PLEASE move on to more interesting and fruitful topics of conversation? This is starting to turn into the dreaded Land of the Dead/money issue!

Let's head back to a more interesting topic of debate, which was touched on briefly (before getting trampled by yet more shotgun whinging ), namely the "Ricktatorship" - would you "Stick with Rick" and follow him, or say "Rick's a Dick" and head off on your own?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    "Ricktatorship" - would you "Stick with Rick" and follow him, or say "Rick's a Dick" and head off on your own?
    Just like we saw in the show, I would be a bit startled by Rick's "I killed my best friend for you people!" comment. Sure, he did what he had to do, but to the other members of the group it looks like he's willing to kill whoever doesn't agree with him. Especially after the "democracy" portion.

Imagine not having viewed Shane's death as an audience member, then imagine being part of the group during Rick's speech. It doesn't look too good....

Administrator

England
    Just like we saw in the show, I would be a bit startled by Rick's "I killed my best friend for you people!" comment. Sure, he did what he had to do, but to the other members of the group it looks like he's willing to kill whoever doesn't agree with him. Especially after the "democracy" portion.

Imagine not having viewed Shane's death as an audience member, then imagine being part of the group during Rick's speech. It doesn't look too good....
    It did seem to ruffle the group up, to say the least!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    A fair point, bassman ... but then I'd ask him to explain, give a bit of context. Funnily enough this loops around to what you need to show and what you don't need to show if-and-when on screen. We the audience know the reasoning, so Rick could very easily explain the back story off-screen entirely, and then just have one of the characters reference him telling them all in 3x01 so that we know that they know, you know?

It would certainly be a waste of time, and a pace-killer, for Rick to have such a conversation with the group at the height of 2x13 ... however such a conversation could fit into 3x01 to cover some loose ends from the season two finale. Indeed it would be a messed up thing to hear from him, but after he provides some context, it'd make a lot more sense. Also, it'd be a foolish idea to go swanning off on your own or as a duo into the world - you're much stronger in a group, even one that's gone through a hellish night.

Also just thinking about Andrea - poor lass was running all ruddy day! She was running from zombies before dawn, then all day, and then it was after dusk before Michonne turned up ... ... I bet she was fucking knackered!

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Moving on from ammo related points, what the hell was the point of setting the barn on fire without an immediate exit strategy? Wouldn't it have been safer to climb up into the loft and kick down the ladder while trying to flag down someone's attention from the hayloft door? Lets say Rick sets fire to the barn, climbs up there with Carl and NO ONE COMES. Now, instead of being able to survive until they starve or die of thirst, they end up going down down down in a burning barn of fire. Would anyone else here turn on the oven and climb in?
    Last edited by niiru; 25-Mar-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: forgot the word "say"