Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: TWD 2x13 "Beside The Dying Fire" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Yeah, I don't know about those statics you got there. I've barely had any formal training except maybe two hours from a police officer relative and i'm a pretty good shot with handguns, rifles, and shotguns. It's not exactly rocket science....

Besides, at the end of the day it's still just a tv show...
    Exactly. In a world where zombies exist things like that don't bother me as long as its still well made.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    As I remember it, he never actually shot at the swamp zombie. He was getting all gangster around it, goading it, and then it slipped out of the mud and Carl scarpered. Plus there is that thing of kids suddenly taking on super strength to lift a car off their parent or whatever, you know those crazy stories you hear about kids doing incredible things in moments of chaos ... plus Carl had training and was proving to be a pretty good shot much earlier in season two.

Just been bitten

Scotland
    I remember conversations held within the old forums about how great it would be if someone created a zombie tv series.
    Who would ever have imagined that when the The Walking Dead comic was released almost 8 years ago that it would birth the most epic zombie movie that will ever be created. Nothing will ever surpass this. And there is so much more to come. Can it get any better than this?
    Most of us know what goes on at the Prison due to the comic books, and how it will no doubt differ in many ways, but I have had an idea for season 4...
    AMC... Just do a variation the the original Day of the Dead script. Don't have Bub, or any other gunweilding zombies, have the idea of fighting fire with fire being theorised and tested. Get a season long military heavy season and... Bang... Epic Zombie Movie Utopia.

Anyways, back on track... That episode was nothing short of fantastic and I can not wait to see what Season 3 has in store for us all.

United States
    To the comic book fans, I must apologize beforehand for my ignorance. Who exactly IS the chick with the katana, but more importantly why does she walk about with two zombies on chains? Are they trophies or are they more like those foo-foo dogs obese ladies take for walkies up & down the street?

"C'mon Zombo! C'mon Shambler! Time for walkies! Aw, you're such GOOD zombies, aren't you! Yes you ARE! Yes you ARE!" (lmao)

I mean, wouldn't it be a real bugger if she had to hurry up in some situation, but her two "pets" were slowing her down to a stagger? Oh crap, what if they got their chains tangled around her at the worst possible moment? Hmm... I wonder if zombies can have fleas.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 21-Mar-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarr View Post
    To the comic book fans, I must apologize beforehand for my ignorance. Who exactly IS the chick with the katana, but more importantly why does she walk about with two zombies on chains? Are they trophies or are they more like those foo-foo dogs obese ladies take for walkies up & down the street?

"C'mon Zombo! C'mon Shambler! Time for walkies! Aw, you're such GOOD zombies, aren't you! Yes you ARE! Yes you ARE!" (lmao)

I mean, wouldn't it be a real bugger if she had to hurry up in some situation, but her two "pets" were slowing her down to a stagger? Oh crap, what if they got their chains tangled around her at the worst possible moment? Hmm...

Her name is michonne and she was a fencing champion and attourney pre-zompocalypse, the 2 zombies that accompany her are her former boyfriend and brother (i think) who she was able to restrain and control. She cut their arms and lower jaws off to make it impossible for them to attack her and she spends months training the aggression out of them. She walks around with them as they keep other zombies from paying too much attention to her, kinda like the thing rick and glenn did with zombie guts but without getting messy.. as soon as she joins up with the group though she no longer needs them and kills them both straight away.

Its been a long time since i read her introduction which was volume 3 or 4 of the comics but i think thats pretty accurate. Feel free to correct me if it isnt anyone.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by rgc2005 View Post
    Few people can naturally shoot a firearm. Training and repetition until the movements become gross motor skills requires up to 500 hours of training, dry fire drills and 1000s of rounds downrange under the supervision of trained instructors per individual weapon. I would tend to believe an actual zombie uprising than the Navy SEAL headshot accuracy of Lori from the porch with a double action .38 Chief's Special snub nose.
    I completely agree with you. I worked many years at an indoor range and saw more armchair video warriors that I could count get a wakeup to the reality that shooting an actual firearm isn't point, click, boom headshot. Usually after the first round these guys would be flinching so much hardly anything would stay on the paper, especially when they insisted on shooting a .44 mag for the first time. Shooting an actual rifle or shotgun is definitely not the same as a no recoil no muzzleblast air gun either.

Also, shooting at static targets while in a non-stress stationary relaxed position is completely different that trying to shoot at a moving target (especially a small target like a head) is also threatening to kill you. During a high stress situation co-ordination skill degrage significantly, which is why there is a thing called "muscle memory" that many of the firearms defense instructors stress through repetition of actions. Repeated drawing and dry firing is one of the basics.

As for police, the only time we would see many of them at the range was right before their yearly qualifications and they were some of the worst shots and violators of the range rules. After that, it came to no surprise of hearing of cops letting loose with 60+ rounds and only hitting a suspect 3 times if at all.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Its been a long time since i read her introduction which was volume 3 or 4 of the comics but i think thats pretty accurate. Feel free to correct me if it isnt anyone.
    That sounds about right to me. Although I too haven't read those issues in a while....

For more about Michonne's origins, Kirkman just released a small comic within the latest issue of Playboy that shows where she was when the ZA began.
    Last edited by bassman; 21-Mar-2012 at 12:22 AM. Reason: .

United States
    How can/do you train the aggression out of zombies? I was wondering why her chained pets didn't still try to get all up in that, regardless of being able to "seal the deal", so to speak.
    It did look supercool, though. I can't wait to see more of her.

England
    Dear sweet jeebus! Just finished watching it - Incredible.

TV this good is probably breaking several laws of nature, the first 20 minutes was insane action, the last 20 minutes insane drama. I'm still reeling from the awesome of it all.

My "Lori hatered-o-meter" went completely off the scale tonight as well...she needs to be murdered, what a horrible shitty little character she is.

Oh, did anybody whisper "like a boss" when we had the shot of Daryl just sitting there on his chopper taking in the scenes as everything burned and died?

-- -------- Post added at 03:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 AM ----------

Time to finally start reading my first 4 hardback volumes of the comic that have been sitting around for many, many months now...tide me over until season 3.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 21-Mar-2012 at 03:35 AM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You know, regarding the suspension of disbelief thing, I find it infinitely hilarious that the most of the people who say things like " if you can believe that the dead can rise than why is eveyone being a crack shot suddenly bothering you?" are normally the first ones to say " OMG running zombies!?! How dumb is that? Everyone knows zombies don't run."

LMFAO!

Last edited by darth los; 21-Mar-2012 at 04:31 AM. Reason: .
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    You know, regarding the suspension of disbelief thing, I find it infinitely hilarious that the most of the people who say things like " if you can believe that the dead can rise than why is eveyone being a crack shot suddenly bothering you?"
    In short, one is necessary, the other is not. To have a drama set in a zombie infested world, we need to make the leap of faith of zombies existing. We don't need to give everyone super human shooting abilities

I must admit everyone being super crack shots from moving/bouncing vehicles annoyed me a bit!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Oh, did anybody whisper "like a boss" when we had the shot of Daryl just sitting there on his chopper taking in the scenes as everything burned and died?
    hahaha! Yep, I certainly did.

*like a boss...*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    hahaha! Yep, I certainly did.

*like a boss...*
    Guilty as charged.

Am I the only one who's bummed that there's humans still wandering around? Is that wrong?
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 21-Mar-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Am I the only one who's bummed that there's humans still wandering around? Is that wrong?
    Yes ... because you are weird ... that is all.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yes ... because you are weird ... that is all.
    I wear that badge proudly, my friend.