View Poll Results: How did you find out about the walking dead?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Read the comics first then saw the TV series

14 100.00%
  • Read the comics but never saw the TV series

0 0%
  • Saw the TV Series first then bought the comics

0 0%
  • Saw the TV Series but have no intention of buying the Comics

0 0%
  • Never seen the TV series and Never read the comics. Dont want to.

0 0%

Thread: Inspired by Comics to watch the series, or inspired by the series to read the comics?

Administrator

England

Inspired by Comics to watch the series, or inspired by the series to read the comics?

I Couldnt think of a better way to phrase this but i think its a great question.

Personally, i LOVED the comics and have been reading them for years and i love the TV series, probably not as much as the comics if im being honest but still, best TV ive watched in years.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    None of the above, really. I knew of the comic and had seen a bit of it, but I really started reading it in the six or so months leading up to the premiere, iirc. That of course was inspired by the news of the upcoming tv series, so I guess I did indeed read them before the show, but without having seen the show...

I loaded them all and finished the entire series in about two weeks. Up until the latest volume, that is. I prefer to let the volumes be complete before I read them, so i'm not caught up on the latest set.
    Last edited by bassman; 26-Mar-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Long time fan of the comic, who loves the TV series. Both exist well in their own little "alternate universe" settings.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    read the comics since issue 1, love it to bits, didnt really care at all for the first season of the show, but the pilot was amazing. probably going to watch season 2 when its out- just because stargate SGU showed me a terrible first season does not mean the 2nd can't be a hell of a lot better.

Administrator

England
    You waiting for the channel 5 viewing? Wow..

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    probably going to watch season 2 when its out- just because stargate SGU showed me a terrible first season does not mean the 2nd can't be a hell of a lot better.
    As a fan of the comics, you should definitely love the second half of season two. The first half is a bit slow due to character development on Hershel's Farm, but the second half is just hit after hit of awesome material. Particularly the last three or so episodes. Just seeing the comic come to life in that way should make any fan have a nergasm....

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    You waiting for the channel 5 viewing? Wow..
    yes...
    *go to demonoid for complete season 2 torrent*
    ...waiting for television.....

lets go with that....

-- -------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    As a fan of the comics, you should definitely love the second half of season two. The first half is a bit slow due to character development on Hershel's Farm, but the second half is just hit after hit of awesome material. Particularly the last three or so episodes. Just seeing the comic come to life in that way should make any fan have a nergasm....
    to be honest thats what put me off season 1 so much, the pilot bar the bit in the house with the wife at the door was so true to the start, with shot for panel scenes. then it went on, added a bunch of made for the show characters i hated and went into some dumb cdc plot kirkman never touched in the books for good reason, but ive heard a lot of good things about seaosn 2.

also a lot of cries of 'LEAVE CARL IN THE HOUSE! or "GET OFF THE FUCKING FARM!"

just wait till those folks get to prison bit....

Great Britain
    Don't have the comics but buy the graphic novels instead, novels were read before series also like how the series isn't following the comic really closely, make each week a surprise if you get my drift.

United States
    I can not think of many people who liked the CDC episodes very much...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I can not think of many people who liked the CDC episodes very much...
    I actually loved the CDC storyline. To me it made sense that if these people are surviving in a post apocalyptic world while in Atlanta, where the entire US government handles it's disease control, then why not visit that location for possible safety and explanations? The CDC storyline was also a nice change that turned the comic storyline on it's head, while putting a different cap on what would be considered the first volume, and also giving the first season some form of closure in case it was the end of the series.

I will say that I hate how everyone assumes it's a virus because Rick and company went to the CDC and Jenner gave them the little demonstration on how the brain reanimates. He never says why. Even saying at one point that God's wrath is still a possibility. He never said WHY - just how. Now for some reason everyone takes that to mean it's definitely a virus, which I don't understand.

No spoilers, but Rick's reveal of Jenner's whisper in 213 also irritated me in a similar way. I don't understand how Kirkman let that slip through. It could've been handled in a MUCH more ambiguous way.
    Last edited by bassman; 26-Mar-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Also none o' de above.
    Watched the show, would love to read the graphic novels or comics, but am too lazy so I just wiki'ed the general synopsis and character descriptions to find out what might semi be coming in the future.

United States
    I read the books before I watched the show. I left off at book 8. I also liked the CDC episdoe and i remember Kirkman stating he was upset that he never thought about for the books at the time cause it would have been an obvious choice to search for answers.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Aaland
    I heard about about the TV series months before it premiered and found out the show was based on the comics, so being excited and not able to watch the show yet i gave the comics a go and was pleasantly surprised. So far i like the comics way better then i actually like the TV series. One thing the comics and show have in common though are the slow points, some times you just want the story to pick up the pace. So technically i Read the comics first then saw the TV series.
    Welcome to the Ricktatorship...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I actually loved the CDC storyline. To me it made sense that if these people are surviving in a post apocalyptic world while in Atlanta, where the entire US government handles it's disease control, then why not visit that location for possible safety and explanations? The CDC storyline was also a nice change that turned the comic storyline on it's head, while putting a different cap on what would be considered the first volume, and also giving the first season some form of closure in case it was the end of the series.

I will say that I hate how everyone assumes it's a virus because Rick and company went to the CDC and Jenner gave them the little demonstration on how the brain reanimates. He never says why. Even saying at one point that God's wrath is still a possibility. He never said WHY - just how. Now for some reason everyone takes that to mean it's definitely a virus, which I don't understand.

No spoilers, but Rick's reveal of Jenner's whisper in 213 also irritated me in a similar way. I don't understand how Kirkman let that slip through. It could've been handled in a MUCH more ambiguous way.
    Well there you go, some people like it for sure just most I talk to can not stand them. I can see your point about them making sense, I just did not like the feel of those episodes not sure if it was writing or just the stark contrast to the comic, or the show up to that point. The Walking Dead just has this feel to it and those two episodes made me feel as though it could have been any sci fi show not a zombie show once they were inside.

I don't think I heard him say what it was one way or another and I don't think the writers would allow that more importantly Kirkman himself.