Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: YOUR perfect place to build a stand?

Chasing Prey

Canada

YOUR perfect place to build a stand?

so herschel had the farm which by all accounts coulda been some place they stayed forever had they really protected the perimeter enough, rshane's group had the camp ground, morgan had the house.....

what would be your best place in the walking dead universe to hole up?

United States
    The local Wal Mart supercenter. Food, guns, liquids. They even sell alcohol now. Lock up tight the two big main sets of doors and just use the little side doors when/if needed. Put as much of the perishables in the freezer and hope the electricity stays on awhile. Lots of things to do to keep you busy.
    As long as you can get it cleared out first...

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    Morgan and Wallace

They could very likely still be sitting in that house. Lay low, keep quiet and scavenge what they can was their strategy and it was working for them.

The Camp Ground

I don't think this was ever intended to be a permanent location.

The CDC

Would have been great if it wasn't for the lack of fuel and a crazy doctor intent on suicide.

The Farm

Remote and safe. Could have been a long term home.

Unfortunately for our survivors, safe doesn't make for good TV and they were pushed out of their safe spot and back into the wild.

Motivated by the death of Dale they were in the process of securing the perimeter and preparing for the long hard winter to come. I don't think anybody was expecting a massive hoard of walkers to randomly stumble by their location.

What keeps the story moving and my biggest complaint with the show is that it depends on the characters acting stupidly. Nearly every bad situation and problem they've faced could have been avoided if they just took a second and used their brains.

My perfect place?

I'd find a single vehicle that could hold everybody (they are low on fuel). Head back to the town Rick came from. Get back to familiar territory. That police station wouldn't be a bad temporary shelter to start from. Plan out my next move from there or being that I'm back in my home town I probably already have a list of ideal locations for long term survival.
    Last edited by Christopher Jon; 25-Mar-2012 at 03:53 AM. Reason: e is for edit

Undisclosed
    I would go to the coast and find a good-sized boat or ship. Hopefully it would have supplies onboard. I would take it out and just sit off the coast until things calmed down and everyone got rested.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    so herschel had the farm which by all accounts coulda been some place they stayed forever had they really protected the perimeter enough, rshane's group had the camp ground, morgan had the house.....

what would be your best place in the walking dead universe to hole up?
    Sadly I do not feel any of those choices are very good choices.

1) The camp was exposed, had no defensible walls, and had points of attack all over. It was near a major city that was teaming with undead that was one herd migration away from being wiped out. Yes they had guards and alrms but with a major herd i nthe night, confusion could easily cause your group to get split up and or killed.

2) The Farm seems great but in the situation they were in with a rival group nearby, it makes it less appealing than the camp to me personally. The upside is several structures you can retreat to, a town for foraging (though small and likely picked clean by this point in many ways), the swamps and stream for food, and natural defense (though drying up in the case of the river bed/stream), and a basement as a last resort. I guess this is all well and good but if i am fortifying someplace it is not goign to be an old farm house near a rival gang.

3) Rick's old house/Neighborhood. This seems to me any way an option that is not terrible, it was clearly not looted heavily, and while there are houses it is not a city center, so the walkers would be less and more sparse. There was a military operation near the hospital where you might find more ammo/guns/supplies. The hospital itself, and familiar surroundings. It is not a great "location" meaning the house itself but you could start from there, and as has been mentioned the old police station might be a good temporary base after moving out of the house.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    didnt the police station have propane? woulda been great

United States
    didnt the police station have propane? woulda been great
    Yes and hot water because of it

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Yes and hot water because of it

hmm....they shoulda thought about that or something close to it since they're deviating from the comics so much. im half expecting them to hole up in a mall or wal mart now

United States
    hmm....they shoulda thought about that or something close to it since they're deviating from the comics so much. im half expecting them to hole up in a mall or wal mart now
    Too funny. With the you know what promised through 2 seasons I think we will basically know where our survivors will be for a while... maybe an the way there though...

England
    My local territorial army centre, secure compound with a room full of automatic weapons, ammunition, bayonets and a storeroom full of army ration packs that would last for years. I may not stay there long term but I'd certainly head that way to tool up (and hope it wasnt manned by squaddies with orders to shoot looters on sight!)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    My local territorial army centre, secure compound with a room full of automatic weapons, ammunition, bayonets and a storeroom full of army ration packs that would last for years. I may not stay there long term but I'd certainly head that way to tool up (and hope it wasnt manned by squaddies with orders to shoot looters on sight!)
    I think the idea is locations specific to "The Walking Dead" universe, so places we have seen so far?

England
    I think the idea is locations specific to "The Walking Dead" universe, so places we have seen so far?
    Well, the Atlantic is a bit of an obstacle to me so I'm going on the entire world being infected rather than just the US. But if it was just on whats been shown on TV so far, I'd say the farm, I think as long as you didnt have a big group of people with you making lots of noise and drawing attantion, then you could probably stay there years without trouble. And if zombies came wandering by you could just go upstairs and keep quiet till they wandered off. Get a suppressor on your rifle and you could even pick them off from upstairs without attracting the attention of more walkers or other humans, easy!

United States
    Many of the "good spots" will be either occupied by other survivor groups or over run by undead during the first few weeks of a zombie plague. The trick is to find a location remote enough that it's not easy for people or zombies to find, secure enough to offer long term security, and has access to fresh water, food, and shelter from the elements.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Dead

United States
    An old telephone building. Or a public utility building. Though we didn't see them in the show, they are in fact there. Those buildings are already hardened to intrusion. Many have no windows, those that do have windows, they're all the way up the walls and too small to fit through. Doors to the outside have no handles on them, only locks, many have good solid fences with barbed wire around them. They're always made of concrete cinder blocks. Find a place close by to one to stash vehicles. Throw some camo netting over the vehicles to prevent them being seen from the sky or a far off vantage point.

Chasing Prey

Canada

i mean it doesnt have to be whats in the comics or the show.......im betting all the choices people are making in this thread are probably viable places the characters in the walking dead could go