Thread: The human slingshot

England

The human slingshot

I most definitely need to have a go at this!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_wkQBDDgvI

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    looks like a blast. though with my luck i'd be the sumbitch that the thing broke on and i'd find myself splatted against the side of that massive hill, just like in a cartoon.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

England
    Haha and "The End" text reads out above the splat!
    It looks awesome though, I bet the acceleration is immense!

UK
    Hmm. Just waiting for some brightspark to put one on the edge of the Grand Canyon... now that would take some guts...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Hmm. Just waiting for some brightspark to put one on the edge of the Grand Canyon... now that would take some guts...
    Aweeeeesome idea!

In New Zealand I think they have the furthest bungie rope drop on the planet... I've heard they play a prank on some people, where, when the individual finally commits to the huge jump, and leans forward enough so there's no way but for them to fall forwards, they then scream, "NO! NO!!!! STOP!!!!" and throw the end of another rope down along side of them...

So as they are falling, all they hear are the workers above (supposedly) screaming and panicking, and see a rope end falling down along side them...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Aweeeeesome idea!

In New Zealand I think they have the furthest bungie rope drop on the planet... I've heard they play a prank on some people, where, when the individual finally commits to the huge jump, and leans forward enough so there's no way but for them to fall forwards, they then scream, "NO! NO!!!! STOP!!!!" and throw the end of another rope down along side of them...

So as they are falling, all they hear are the workers above (supposedly) screaming and panicking, and see a rope end falling down along side them...

I think I've seen a video of that on Rude Tube on Channel 4 ... now that's a messed up prank to pull!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I think I've seen a video of that on Rude Tube on Channel 4 ... now that's a messed up prank to pull!
    screamingly funny.

but i'm one of those dudes who, um, doesn't take practical jokes well (to say the least) and i'd probably find the heaviest thing i could swing and start going after people.

somethings are funny as hell but just plain wrong.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Sounds like a prank that could literally cause death by heart attack. Not cool!

As for the human slingshot - just waiting for Jackass-wannabes to make one where they don't get harnessed in; just launched.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Sounds like a prank that could literally cause death by heart attack. Not cool!

As for the human slingshot - just waiting for Jackass-wannabes to make one where they don't get harnessed in; just launched.
    The rides at the top of the Las Vegas Stratosphere look mad! Keep in mind your about 1500ft above the ground... Mad!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    The rides at the top of the Las Vegas Stratosphere look mad! Keep in mind your about 1500ft above the ground... Mad!

yikes! probably best not to take that particular ride right after eating lunch, eh?

England
    I bet that Vegas one makes the ol' heart pump a bit! I think I've posted this video on here before, but this is the wildest ride I've had, you can see the fear on my face just before we jump! Cant wait to do it again when I have the money though

Administrator

England
    Yes, that moment you have to swing your feet out over the edge is mad!!!

Nice the camera man kept the plane in shot for so long too! Give's a nice idea of speed!

TBH, a ride on the top of the Stratosphere I think would scare me more than a skydive for some reason though...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK

Sod that for a game of soldiers!

I'd never go on that in a month of Sundays, no way, no how, nuh-uh. I'm petrified of heights as it is anyway, so I think I'd actually have a heart attack on that damn thing! Besides, knowing my luck, if I was on it, it'd be the same day the machines took over.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Sod that for a game of soldiers!
    Every few months, one of you limey blokes [is that offensive?] says something that makes me laugh my ass off. You guys have some hilarious expressions that completely boggle my mind. No offense!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Every few months, one of you limey blokes [is that offensive?] says something that makes me laugh my ass off. You guys have some hilarious expressions that completely boggle my mind. No offense!
    haha! I don't personally mind the "limey" thing, even though it was originally a sort-of-insult at its inception - it's all about context and intonation anyway, if it's said in jest then it's all good. I think "Yank" and "Limey" are both on-par with each other, if I'm not mistaken.

I have a little chuckle whenever you guys stumble across a British saying, it's always interesting to see what comes as a surprise to you guys that we Brits see as everyday.

According to Urban Dictionary:
    Historically soldiers were notorious for becoming engaged in silly and most times (e.g. the game of the "bisquit") non-sense games to kill the time, practice that over time gave them a poorly credible connotation and stereotype. Hence this old fashioned colloquialism (the original version was Sod this for a game of soldiers) compares the foolishness of a certain action/thing with that of "a game of soldiers"
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 12-Apr-2012 at 04:23 PM.