Thread: Deadlight (XBLA Game)

United States

Deadlight (XBLA Game)

not sure if this has been mentioned yet, the search engine says no, so here it is, my must-have game for XBLA coming this summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUlKEH8Kc3c

shadow complex + limbo + zombies = day one purchase.

Administrator

England
    First ive seen and i had to watch your video with no sound becuase im at work but i like it.. will definately give this one a go i think.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Looks like this + XBLA Minecraft = my summer gaming plans so far.

United States
    this released today, i got it, and it's f*cking awesome. probably only played for 30 mins or so (busy day), but from what i've seen so far, i'm very impressed.

eerie atmosphere, some genuine jump scenes, and fun gameplay. there's a demo available.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    this released today, i got it, and it's f*cking awesome. probably only played for 30 mins or so (busy day), but from what i've seen so far, i'm very impressed.

eerie atmosphere, some genuine jump scenes, and fun gameplay. there's a demo available.
    Thanks for the reminder, Prof! Think I'll be looking into picking it up this week

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Fresh Meat

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post

That's good to hear. Reviews have been mediocre so I was getting worried, but reviews are often wrong relative to what people who really want to like a game think.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ive been thinking of getting it, but heard that its very, very samey and only 4 hours long. Doesnt really fit the price tag for me.

-- -------- Post added 04-Aug-2012 at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was 03-Aug-2012 at 10:23 AM ----------

Well i caved and bought it, beat the whole game with a finish time of 2 hours and id left it idle for at least 15 minutes of that talking to someone on the phone. This thing is short and very linear. I expected a metroidvania ala shadow complex albiet set in a city and suburb attacked by zombies with free roam. This isnt that. Its very bland side scrolling platformer under the guise of a metroidvania style game.
    Like all the reviews i read said the first minutes in a moody rain storm covered city are excellent, but then by the time you reach the sewers it turns to shit. Every death and failure is NEVER because of your skill but because the game is designed for you to hit a pit fall and redo it knowing the pitfalls there. However its not a learning experience to teach new skills. its just filler.
    The art direction however is superb, as is the soundtrack. But the story is bland, simple and very predictable. In fact the sheets of backstory in his diary tell a far more interesting story than what we get in the game.
    Control wise its utter shit, not even shadow complex level, certainely not castlevania or metroid level. Jumping is fiddly, you can be stuck moving around in the climbing motion going across a flat room, zombies clip behind you and one shot you, you can miss jumps because he just decides not to grab on. Its really a detriment to the entire experience.
    So yeah i beat it in 2 hours at 85% completion, have 5 things to find and two minigames to beat and ive beaten the whole game. true metroidvanias require at LEAST 3 playthroughs to get 100% and last at least 20 hours.

This was a novel experience, but not unique enough to warrant a blatantly over priced side scroller that feels like a flash game that happens to have unreal engine graphics.

Excellent start, terrible end. Not worth buying at all.

Undisclosed
    Thanks for the review. I figured that much. I also read it was short and has at least 3 hrs of play time. Not worth $15, IMO. The demo plays like Prince of Persia from the early '90's.