Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bassman's visits to TWD filming locations

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Bassman's visits to TWD filming locations

Today I was in the area, so decided to hit some of the show's filming locations for fun.

You can see the whole batch here.

The hospital:

"King" County Sherriff's Office:

The Fence through which Rick shoots Leon Bassett:

The "CDC" and me wondering how they rebuilt it so quick???:

I tried my best to get into the quarry and campsite(which I considered the holy grail of this quest), but about fifty feet after I jumped the fence some lady came running and yelling that I was trespassing. She never made it clear if she was with the city water department, which owns the property, but she was wearing some sort of pass around her neck. I later wondered if she may be involved with the shooting of season two.All of these locations were northwest of Atlanta. I plan on visiting other locations shortly.
    Last edited by Neil; 14-Nov-2011 at 12:53 PM.

England
    Hey man. I was wondering when you were going to do this being local and all. Its weird looking at the locations just through photos after seeing the show.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Hey man. I was wondering when you were going to do this being local and all. Its weird looking at the locations just through photos after seeing the show.
    Even weirder to see them in person. I admit I was a geeking out a little. The little boy in me was screaming inside because I was able to walk out of the hospital and up the hill to the "army base". Same with Rick's police department. I kinda reenacted every scene and my wife looked on like I was an idiot. What can I say, it's not often I get to see locations from my favorite movies/films?

I wondered if the police department was still being used as a base camp for the production. I know they used it a good bit for the first season with zombie school and possibly some sets. It's actually a large building with loading docks around the side, but the way it was filmed it looks very small. There were cars parked there and lots of banging and sawing going on inside, which had me wondering if it was still being used for interior sets. I wasn't brave enough to knock on the door. However, I was brave enough to knock on the door of the hospital, hoping to sweet talk my way into taking pictures of the hallways, but because it was Sunday nobody was there.

I really hate that I wasn't able to see the campsite. I thought I was going to get away with it once I hoped the fence, but the lady started yelling shortly after. We were very polite to each other and she even said she would let me go if it were up to her, but she could get in trouble. So I just told her thanks and left. I shall try again.....i've found a back way in.

I was also going to try to get into the "vatos" building, but after Kirkman saying on his commentary that people actually live there, I figured I would leave that one alone...

Super Moderator

UK
    Excellent photos Bassman! Thanks for sharing.

Love the CDC pic.

Administrator

England
    Nice stuff!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    I just really appreciate how you got the familiar angles in. They all look dead on, as though they were right out of the show.

Well done

I'm already waiting on Hershel's farmhouse and barn

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I'm already waiting on Hershel's farmhouse and barn
    I've already located the farmhouse. However, there are two problems. 1 - They may still be filming. 2 - It's someone's private property. Maybe after all the excitement on the property dies down I can "get lost" down the farmhouse's driveway, but I don't want to cause any trouble or upset the owners. I'll have to decide on that one when I get there and scope it out, but i'm not going to be a pain in the ass for anyone's family. There are other locations in that area so it wouldn't be a wasted drive, at least.

United States
    bassman rules! I wish I had more time in my life to rule also!
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 14-Nov-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

Super Moderator

UK
    I agree with Aces - the attention to detail regarding the angles is excellent - they make for a perfect match with the actual shows, and a great comparison.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I agree with Aces - the attention to detail regarding the angles is excellent - they make for a perfect match with the actual shows, and a great comparison.
    You know what's bad about that? I had no visual reference when I was at these locations. I took all the angle photos off memory. Now THAT is sad.

Seriously though.....physically standing there and seeing the way these locations are laid out, the options in angles is very limited. For example, to the left of the "police department" is a distracting women's clothing store and parking lot. To the left of the military equipment at the "base", is a paved oval running track and basketball court. Also, the shot looking "down" into the hospital lot, if you look closely in the bottom right of the shot with me in it, you can tell that the land actually rises and the brick wall just goes into the ground. Same with the one where it looks like im standing on top of the wall. So for the high shot showing rick and all the bodies in which you would think they used a crane or constructed a platform, they were just standing on a natural hill. The brick wall is absolutely pointless.

Another bit of info that just occured to me. The shot of Rick climbing the hill and it looks like a crane shot? I could very well be wrong, but I believe they simply laid a track and pulled the camera back up that same hill the wall goes into. Imagine this angle with the photographer going to the left:

He would actually be rising up the hill to reveal the military equipment. I think they cheated a crane shot using the natural grading of the land.

I know...NERD.
    Last edited by bassman; 14-Nov-2011 at 07:28 PM. Reason: .

England
    The barn has been built specially for the show so i don't know if it will be still there
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, I figured the barn was a set but the house is real.

United States
    Great shots, man!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The following photos are not mine, but I was given permission by user Daniel Day on TheWalkingDeadForums to share them with you guys. He lives next to the town they've done most of the filming for Season Two and got several good shots of the locations.

The housing development where Shane and Andrea look for Sophia and have their shoot out:

The view from Shane's binoculars. The owner of the photos says his friend lives in the house at the end and the whole neighborhood was asked not to mow their lawns for a few weeks before the film crew arrived:

The pharmacy in which Glenn and Maggie knock boots. It's actually a children's clothing store:

The street on which Glenn and Maggie ride into town. You can barely see the postal service sign in the background. It was visible in a few shots on the show:

The church:

Front stairs with screen cap comparison:

Looking through a window of the church. It looks virtually the same as the show, only missing the large crucifix:

That's it for now. He's going to later visit the park where Daryl falls off his horse and the waterfall. He's also acquaintances with the owners of Hershel's Farm but isn't yet allowed in because the filming security gate is up and the film crew is still cleaning up from filming. When they're done, he's going to go back.
    Last edited by bassman; 02-Dec-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

The view from Shane's binoculars.
    How oddly specific, yet cool.

The owner of the photos says his friend lives in the house at the end and the whole neighborhood was asked not to mow their lawns for a few weeks before the film crew arrived
    Now that's behind the scenes info. Nice detail!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany