Thread: A Question for Fans

Aaland

A Question for Fans

Without getting into too much detail, I'm rewriting a major novel and introducing monsters (all types and shapes) into the book with new plot twists, etc. I won't be addressing the name of the book or what it is based on yet but I'm curious, what are some essential characteristics you as a reader would like to see in a novel based on the 19th century that has monsters (I won't say zombies because these aren't the normal zombie types. Imagine super-strength powered intelligent zombies, if such a thing could exist) and an array of other characters with monsteresque abilities?

Super Moderator

United States
    Well, what tone are you going for in the book? How otherwise fantastical are the elements? Fairytale-esque? Will you be taking a very broad-viewed approach or going myopic/small-scale with regards to the setting & background? Whether you're going with a very detailed, historically correct (aside from the monsters) angle or really adding stuff that's out there (League of Extraordinary Gentleman for example) it's always fun to include nods to the time period.

-- -------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Also, is this set on multiple continents, or one in particular? If just a single continent, let us know if you can, as that will at least give me a clue where I could spew forth some of the minutia I'm interested in from the time period.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Aaland
    Let me reply to your questions at a later date. Sorry but I have my reasons for not answering these specifics just yet. I will answer it at the end of this month. Thanks.