Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Titanic anniversary

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Hmmmm... Can't see how any major damaged is really bing done by the subs? I'll have to try and see the documentary I guess!

-- -------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Just read earlier there are some scientists who are suggesting within Titanic there may be preserved bodies!

Why does my morbid curiosity want to investigate this!

lol told ya LOL

Being Attacked

England
    Also as I said earlier the subs have already destroyed the crows nest which was intact when it was originally discovered, I believe from a doc a few years ago that originally you couldn't get into the radio room but since subs landed on top of it, it has since collapsed in on it's self. Amazing to look inside but effectively a desecration of a grave.

Just got back from seeing the film in 3D and IMAX and I had forgotten just how cheesy the first half is, almost embarrassingly so. Obviously makes up for it in the second and the fact the effects (both GGI and practical) are still top notch and awe inspiring, the scene of the ship splitting in half on an Imax screen was an amazing site.

Other than some of the twee annoyance of the film I find some of the choices Cameron chose very odd. Almost all the deleted scenes are historical interest ( the baker, owners of Macy's , dogs running free, the Californian being just 10 miles away, explanation of the gym and many more) why cut these out considering he is such a Titanic buff ?. I read in an interview long ago that he did it to keep the focus and the main tragedy be Jack and Rose which in my opinion is the least interesting thing.
    Some of the liberties he takes with the crew are a bit far as well, most of the officers and workers come accross as villains or hate figures. Odd that he chose for the band to be older despite the fact the eldest was in fact just 33, same with the elevator bell boys who were all 16-17 and all died.

I think the story of the Titanic is more than strong enough to support it's self without the need for a love story, which is why I think A Night To Remember is still the best as it encompasses many stories.
    Last edited by Knighty; 18-Apr-2012 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Spelling

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    This reminds me - I watched that James Cameron doc that was on National Geographic a couple of weeks back - fascinating stuff - the new computer model, and how they arrived at it, was intriguing stuff to say the least.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    This reminds me - I watched that James Cameron doc that was on National Geographic a couple of weeks back - fascinating stuff - the new computer model, and how they arrived at it, was intriguing stuff to say the least.
    The fact they pointed out it didn't list all the way over as is common was interesting. Pure luck, or were the engineers in the bottom of the ship not only keeping the boilers running, and actively pumping the water in the ballast tanks around to keep the ship as upright as long as they could, to help others in the face of death? They all died, so we'll never know!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    The fact they pointed out it didn't list all the way over as is common was interesting. Pure luck, or were the engineers in the bottom of the ship not only keeping the boilers running, and actively pumping the water in the ballast tanks around to keep the ship as upright as long as they could, to help others in the face of death? They all died, so we'll never know!
    One of the most chilling theories that was presented to the viewer in the doc. It's a solid theory, and it makes the actions of the engineers even more astonishing and heroic. All these ship wrecks recently and they all tipped over, and yet Titanic, this vast creation, sank with a mere 9 degrees estimated listing. It was also interesting to see the difference between JC's flick and the 2012 computer model in terms of how the ship sank. It was also fascinating to see the theories come together using the evidence of the debris field, and comparing it to figuring out a plane crash.

Absolutely fascinating stuff - which reminds me, have you seen "Ghosts of the Abyss" the 2001 documentary that JC did about diving to Titanic? I've got it on DVD and it's very much worth seeing if you're into the story of Titanic and seeing what it's like now deep under the ocean. It's even got it's own suspense at one point relating to James and Elwood, the two little robots they send into the wreck. Haunting and fascinating all-in-one.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Absolutely fascinating stuff - which reminds me, have you seen "Ghosts of the Abyss" the 2001 documentary that JC did about diving to Titanic? I've got it on DVD and it's very much worth seeing if you're into the story of Titanic and seeing what it's like now deep under the ocean. It's even got it's own suspense at one point relating to James and Elwood, the two little robots they send into the wreck. Haunting and fascinating all-in-one.
    Indeed. Fantastic documentary....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAVEEaV2QDE

Administrator

England
    Still have to say for me that pair of A&E documentaries (above) are the best at giving an overall emotional impression along with a good solid factual account.
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Still have to say for me that pair of A&E documentaries (above) are the best at giving an overall emotional impression along with a good solid factual account.
    I agree that the documentary you posted is fantastic, but I think Cameron's Ghosts of the Abyss probably gives the most in-depth look at the ship as it sits on the bottom of the ocean. Two seperate beasts, really. The initial sinking story on one and the aftermath as it stands today on the other.
    Last edited by bassman; 24-Apr-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I agree that the documentary you posted is fantastic, but I think Cameron's Ghosts of the Abyss probably gives the most in-depth look at the ship as it sits on the bottom of the ocean. Two seperate beasts, really. The initial sinking story on one and the aftermath as it stands today on the other.
    Definately... And the two bots were amazing!
    -Carl Sagan