Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zombie Movies: The Good, The Bad, the Bloody

Aaland

Zombie Movies: The Good, The Bad, the Bloody

I've asked this question in the fiction section but I also felt compelled to ask this in the film making section due to the fact I've been considering writing a zombie screenplay, not in the traditional sense anyways. So here is the question, what makes a good zombie movie? What's been overdone? What are some things you would like to see in future films?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumsfeld View Post
    I've asked this question in the fiction section but I also felt compelled to ask this in the film making section due to the fact I've been considering writing a zombie screenplay, not in the traditional sense anyways. So here is the question, what makes a good zombie movie? What's been overdone? What are some things you would like to see in future films?
    Personally, I've always enjoyed:-
    - The notion of the moment it started. Those first few bodies that rose, and what happened.
    - I then like the idea of how the collapse happened. The denial by people and simple inability to cope and ultimately survive.
    - And then there's the final outcome where people are gripping onto survival by their fingernails completely out numbered and having to live hand to mouth quite possible.

What makes a good story?:-
    - Simple believable characters with believable dialogue.
    - Simple believable events, with realistic outcomes.

So, in answer to your question, I'd like to see any film, set at any period in the outbreak, but with believable characters, with believable (interesting) events. The moment we get raptor screaching zombies, or stupid contact lenses in eyes within 10 seconds of someone dying, or zombies that just happen to stay quiet at the right time, or crawl somewhere just to they can jump out at the appropriate moment, this screams of "cheating" to me. So I want a simple believable storyline.

ps: Given the current interest in the Titanic. I was always tempted to do an alternative reality story, where infact there was a zombie outbreak on the ship, and it was sunk on purpose in the middle of the ocean by the survivors
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Zombie-Titanic is a really good story idea!
    'Looks like God left the phone off the hook, huh baby?'

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombo View Post
    Zombie-Titanic is a really good story idea!
    Been in the back of my mind nigh on fifteen years... Alas, that's where it's stayed.

It was spawned by Cameron's film, which, much like his, would of course basically try to be historically correct, but instead flavoured by a zombie outbreak onboard, ultimately requiring the crew to ram the iceberg on purpose.

I was at one point tempted to really put some effort into it and try and do a full book. But it felt so ghoulish to try and make a profit out of it, that I quickly dismissed the idea.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Aaland
    Neil, one word, screenplay. I think they are easier to write and if you can sell it you make major $$$, more than you ever could by turning it into a novel unless your already a well established author. I would write a screenplay over a novel any day of the week.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumsfeld View Post
    Neil, one word, screenplay. I think they are easier to write and if you can sell it you make major $$$, more than you ever could by turning it into a novel unless your already a well established author. I would write a screenplay over a novel any day of the week.
    OK... Title...

"Titanic: Dead End"

Right, now just for the story... Um...
    -Carl Sagan

Aaland
    In all seriousness, I think you should go for it. Message me if you want to talk about it some more. I've dabbled in it myself when writing a fan fiction screenplay and some sitcoms. If they could come out with "The Horde," a French zombie film, you can do Titanic: Dead End.

Being Attacked

England
    Why is a French zombie film odd?
    And not to burst a bubble but I'm sure I stumbled upon a zombie titanic book the other week. I shall go search.

Titanic: Destination Death would be a good exploitation title

Undisclosed
    As I said before, a good zombie or adventure type movie would follow the plot of an ordinary person or persons being put into an extraordinary situation. When the audience can identify with the characters, they then care what happens to them. Many of the Stephen King novels follow this formula and he often includes "outcast" types. For example, everyone knows about Luke Skywalker from Star Wars. He was just some everyday kid working on his Uncle's farm until one day he was unwittingly involved in a galactic war. Kevin Flynn from Tron was like many of the computer hackers of that era and experienced the all too frequent backstabbing and theft by a corporate psychopath. In NOTLD all of the characters were just like your next door neighbors out on a sunday afternoon when TSHTF.

What has been overdone is:

1. The utterly ridiculous and unrealistic gunplay in movies. Unlimited ammo cheat and aimbots should stay in video games.

2. Every character looking like they are models who have stepped out of the pages of GQ and Cosmopolitan with perpetually clean clothes, clean skin and perfect hair even though they have supposedly fought numerous zombies. The Road realistically showed what these people should look like.

3. A beyond excessive use of characters that are ex-navy seal delta green beret marine special forces idf spetznaz snipers.

4. Characters that are hyper-stereotypical are probably the biggest irritation. Black characters are always presented as foul mouthed gangstas, Asians always presented as timid nerds, rural Caucasians always presented as maniacal bible thumpers or inbred racist neanderthals. It makes me wonder if the writers of this type of tripe are even exposed to REAL people outside their circle of "friends" (more like a socially exclusive clique) at the corner trendy cafe.

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    1. The utterly ridiculous and unrealistic gunplay in movies. Unlimited ammo cheat and aimbots should stay in video games.

2. Every character looking like they are models who have stepped out of the pages of GQ and Cosmopolitan with perpetually clean clothes, clean skin and perfect hair even though they have supposedly fought numerous zombies. The Road realistically showed what these people should look like.

3. A beyond excessive use of characters that are ex-navy seal delta green beret marine special forces idf spetznaz snipers.

4. Characters that are hyper-stereotypical are probably the biggest irritation. Black characters are always presented as foul mouthed gangstas, Asians always presented as timid nerds, rural Caucasians always presented as maniacal bible thumpers or inbred racist neanderthals. It makes me wonder if the writers of this type of tripe are even exposed to REAL people outside their circle of "friends" (more like a socially exclusive clique) at the corner trendy cafe.
    +1 to what Sammich said.

However, movies are entertainment. Hoards of people go to films like Transformers for a reason. It's big dumb fun entertainment. 2 hours or escapism and boobies.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post
    ...and boobies.
    Yes, boobies. But not Milla Jovovich's, she has nipples the size of my pinky and no actual boobage. That's just tomboobery.

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Yes, boobies. But not Milla Jovovich's, she has nipples the size of my pinky and no actual boobage. That's just tomboobery.
    They are perky little critters.

Aaland
    To Knighty, I wish I could find the name of the film I'm thinking of. In it the dead come back to life but are not zombies, just living breathing human beings with no lack or purpose. I thought it was a nice twist to the zombie genre but it failed in plot. For example, no one explains how they are brought back to life, but then again I don't think that was the point of the film.

To Sammich, I agree with you. What you are describing with Luke Skywalker and others is the Hero's Journey. It's used in mythology, books, and films. I'm thinking of writing a movie script on the zombie/comedy genre, but avoiding everything you disliked. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Rumsfeld; 19-Apr-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Additional info to the message

Undisclosed
    Going with the Titanic idea, it would be cool to have the scene where Kate Winslet poses nude for Leo Decaprio, & they both get attacked by zombies. Then you could have the naked Kate zombie wandering through the ship for a bit of added titilation (pardon the pun)!
    'Looks like God left the phone off the hook, huh baby?'

Aaland
    How many times do you get to see a zombie swimming in the water in an upside down ship?