Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stupid annoying phrases or sayings that get on your nerves...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Purge View Post
    "It is what it is." The next time I hear that, I'm taking a hostage.
    That one makes me want to punch a brick wall when I hear it.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    It really grinds on me when people (and this is mostly an American thing, I am sorry to say, so my apologies to my 'merkin friends out there) say they "could care less" about something.

It's a stupid saying and, in the context of what people are usually trying to express when they use it, a totally counterintuitive one: you're trying to say that you don't care about something at all, but in order to "care less" you have to actually care at least a little bit. Used to signify an intense lack of caring, it makes no sense.

The original, proper and more logical version of this phrase, as used in almost every English speaking region outside the US, would be "I couldn't care less": i.e. "my level of caring cannot be reduced further because it is already at zero".

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    my pet peeves:

people who do not know the difference between "seen" and "saw." I saw the new walking dead ep NOT I seen the new walking dead ep. that burns me up. "seen" has to be used in the perfect tense or in the passive: I have seen all of the underworld movies. I was seen leaving work too early.

the other one is: "i didn't do nothing." double negatives are a no go in proper, standard written and spoken english. that sentence taken literally means exactly the opposite of what you are trying to say. if you didn't do nothing then you did something.

oh and i am so fooking sick of the phrase "moving forward" that words fail.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I agree on those Mike, but I do think they are sometimes excusable in spoken English due to the way we formulate sentences for speech. It's made up on the fly, so even the best grammarian on the planet might change their mind about the composition of a statement halfway through and create something grammatically incorrect, even though he knows better. It's only if the error is systematic or makes it into their writing that it becomes a problem for me.

That said, another one that always winds me up is people saying/writing "I would OF" done something, instead of "would HAVE". Shitloads of people I know do that, including a lot of people who are otherwise good with grammar, I can't understand why. I guess it possibly comes from a mis-hearing of the contracted form "would've".

United States
    when someone say's "i'm not gonna lie", it makes me want to interrupt them and say something like "gee, thanks for the honesty, dickwad."

United States
    "baby bump"

MZ - I too am guilty of having used "cool beans" before... but I still don't like it.

People that use "your" when they mean "you're" - it's time you embraced the contraction, dammit!

United States
    I hate "meh". It's time to put that one to rest. I wince whenever I read it. Thankfully no one says that in the real world to me.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    People who say "Mam" instead of "Mum"
    People who say "Mam" or "Mum" instead of "Mom."

Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    "baby bump"
    Yes! That really grates on me, and has been spreading like kudzu since sometime in the past decade.

Other ones I hate:

References to "getting one's ___ on."

"Literally" used to mean "figuratively."
    Last edited by Publius; 19-Apr-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: typo
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I agree on those Mike, but I do think they are sometimes excusable in spoken English due to the way we formulate sentences for speech. It's made up on the fly, so even the best grammarian on the planet might change their mind about the composition of a statement halfway through and create something grammatically incorrect, even though he knows better. It's only if the error is systematic or makes it into their writing that it becomes a problem for me.

That said, another one that always winds me up is people saying/writing "I would OF" done something, instead of "would HAVE". Shitloads of people I know do that, including a lot of people who are otherwise good with grammar, I can't understand why. I guess it possibly comes from a mis-hearing of the contracted form "would've".
    YES.
    This.

That "of" thing really, really gets me annoyed. Seeing someone write that is basically telling me just how lazy they've been at school. I don't ask remotely for perfect grammar, but substituting entire words because you're too dumb to have heard or read two words shortened to one really annoys me.
    Christ we've been doing it to this language since before Shakespeare. In fact I can remember many instances of "ne'er" in Shakespeare - which if you haven't guessed means "never".

Do not = don't
    Cannot = can't
    should have = should've
    could have = could've

One interesting point about the devolution of language is that we use almost EVERY single word out of context nowdays. A few examples:
    We describe things as "perfect" - an exageration by default - perfection is reserved for the absolute top echelon of whatever you're discussing - be is a painting, a song, a movie, or a sporting event. To say something is perfect, implies that most other things are imperfect by nature.

There's only ONE word that's meant to be reserved to mean literally what it means. I've used this word in my post. It's the only word that should be used to literally describe something exactly as it is, and shouldn't be used out of context. It's literally the one surviving word that shouldn't be marred with exageration.

But how many times have you hear someone say something like "after the divorce, the kids were literally split in two!"

"I was literally on the floor laughing" (really?? must've looked stupid!)

I'm sure you've guessed the word "literally". Think twice before you use this word - everytime you use it out of context, and not literally to describe something that you have experienced or seen in the most LITERAL of senses, you're LITERALLY destroying one of the last bastions of true English definition. Literally.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    For the love of all that is holy, if I hear "Git 'er done" one more time I will flip my shit.

Super Moderator

United States
    For the love of all that is holy, if I hear "Git 'er done" one more time I will flip my shit.
    Whoever actually says that? The only time I ever hear it is if someone is making fun of rednecks or the South or Southern sensibilities. I agree even then it's pretty much run its course several years back.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Whoever actually says that? The only time I ever hear it is if someone is making fun of rednecks or the South or Southern sensibilities. I agree even then it's pretty much run its course several years back.
    Come visit me in Georgia for just a week and I can assure that you'll hear it a few times....

It's just as bad as rednecks having "I ain't skeered" on the windshields of their lifted, "I'm compensating for a small penis", pickup truck.
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Apr-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Whoever actually says that?
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Come visit me in Georgia for just a week and I can assure that you'll hear it a few times....
    Yeah, come to Maryland and you'll get the same shit. Talk about irritating. I guess it's popular here because that goddamn idiot Larry the MORON guy originated from around this area and on radio stations around here. 98 Rock WIYY in Baltimore and DC101 in particular. He used to call into these stations and read these stupid-as-all-hell "commentaries" he wrote. None of them, just like him, were funny.

Here's a few more that piss me off to the point of homicide:

"hater"

Also, anything ending in "Gate" - like "Clintongate" "Climategate" that kinda stuff. Ugh.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Also, anything ending in "Gate" - like "Clintongate" "Climategate" that kinda stuff. Ugh.
    Never heard that one...

Super Moderator

United States
    "Sexual predator." I've never eaten a single goddamn person.

Speaking of goddamn, do you guys dislike minced oaths on principal? I'm assuming most of you do.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany