Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid annoying phrases or sayings that get on your nerves...

United States

Stupid annoying phrases or sayings that get on your nerves...

Basically, things that people say that make you want to light them on fire and stab them in the face repeatedly with a fork.

I'll start with the top two on my list:

"I know, right?"

and

"My bad"

What are some sayings/phrases that people use that get on your nerves? Vent away....

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    people still saying fail like its 2002, mostly over 40's. its that 'trying to be down with the kids' style of creepy gear grinding.

United States
    Here's two more that drive me nuts:

over-use of the word "like" - "I mean, like, he took me, like, to the store and stuff, and then, like, bought me some bubble gum" Ho-ly shit, please go hang yourself.

"True, that"

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    people still saying fail like its 2002, mostly over 40's. its that 'trying to be down with the kids' style of creepy gear grinding.
    I don't know, Danny, after a certain point a lot of people seem to slow down the adjusting of their dialog choices after a certain age.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    Yeh..."My Bad". Feck off.

Also "Awesome" and "You Rock" and just about every new injection of business (sales) speak that comes out of America, like "The Cloud"...feckin hell...

Sorry Yanks.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    "Shut the front door!" (instead of Shut the f*ck up)

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    "I could care less"

There's a litany of grammatical errors with that one. The correct phrase is "I COULDN'T CARE LESS". Christ, think about it.

"At the end of the day, going forward, week in week out, we have to perform".

This one reserved specifically for idiot footballers who are asked to provide commentary on their performances and can only come up with bullshit generic statements that are interchangable.
    In fact after 12 years of working in this industry I can safely say that I don't think a footballer or a manager has ever provided an insight remotely more intelligent than the one above. They love to pretend there's some deep analysis going on, but it all comes down to "today we were good/bad, yesterday we were bad/good" (delete as appropriate).

"Phone hacking". ARGH. Interception. Hacking requires the circumvention of security measures. Guessing a default password is no different to leaving your facebook logged in and someone fraping you. Such a bullshite sexed up phrase.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    "guestimation"

Super Moderator

UK
    I agree with all of Symph's suggestions - ever since I saw David Mitchell's soapbox about "could care less" being the term in America, I've been irritated by the incorrect use of the phrase ever since. So please my American friends - whenever someone in your life uses "could care less", for crying out loud, correct them and tell them it's "COULDN'T care less". The phrase makes no sense whatsoever in the former, and it's pissing annoying.

I hate that accent that teenage girls in America have that you always hear on MTV. That whiny/slightly croaky nonsense where everything lifts up at the end like a question???

I can't really think of any off the top of my head right now, but there's no doubt a shitload of them.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    To expand on that a little, it REALLY grinds my gears when non-geeks steal our words.. they just sound so patronising when they say "fail" or "owned"..

England
    People who say "Mam" instead of "Mum", it really grinds my gears, depending on where you are in the UK people use one or the other, but I'm firmly in the "Mum" camp

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I hate that accent that teenage girls in America have that you always hear on MTV. That whiny/slightly croaky nonsense where everything lifts up at the end like a question???
    You mean like this?

Ok, ya'll might not like Family Guy, but that shit's funny.

Here's a few more off the top of my head (why is venting frustration so much damn fun?!):

anything described as being 'ghetto'

"cool beans"

calling a tank top a "wife beater"

Saying, "WORD!" after someone says something you agree with. c'mon, man! Stop that shit!

***edited to add: I have to agree 100% with Andy about "owned" and "fail" So freakin' overused it's not even funny. And it's not funny.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 18-Apr-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: OWNED, BITCH!

Super Moderator

UK
    @ FG clip. Exactly.

"Cool beans" is a ghetto thing? Really? I had no idea - I've actually used that numerous times in the past.

Generally I do tend to get 'onto' certain phrases ... I go through phases of phrases ... try saying that ten times fast when drunk.

I don't mind 'geek speak' at all, but yes, when you've got the BBC producing a show called "Epic Win" years after the phrase was created, I just cringe and want to move away from it.

Speaking of "wife beater", that reminds me of something - Stella Artois - it's this shit Belgian lager that tastes like brewed butt, and it has a reputation for being the favourite tipple of "wife beaters" here in the UK (indeed, "wife beater" is the nickname of Stella Artois, aka "Stella") ... however it's always advertised in some poncy fashion. It used to be ice skating priests in black and white, and other such nonsense, and now it's in a sort of French New Wave sense of 1960s cool with some smug prat bouncing around. By which, I mean this:

No! No! It's a disgusting lager and it's consumed by morons ... your poncy adverts just look stupid on British TV screens.

Undisclosed
    I despise every single moronic MBA created corporate phrase like "think outside the box", "rightsizing" and "solutions provider". I guess the idiots came up with this crap language in "business school" to put up a facade of worth since they are utterly incompetent of doing an actual job.

People that use texting words EVERYWHERE are irritating as hell. Seriously, how difficult is it to type "your" instead of "ur" when using a regular keyboard? Maybe this is why much of the U.S. population are incapable of understanding the differences between you're and your, lose and loose, to and too, they're and their, etc.

Ginormous and mancave are words that should be put in an air lock and jettisoned into the sun.
    Last edited by Sammich; 18-Apr-2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: a

Undisclosed
    "It is what it is." The next time I hear that, I'm taking a hostage.