Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cameron bashing

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    It may be worth saying that "unobtanium" is apparently a bit of a running joke in the scientific community - a sort of in-joke really. I think the placement of that name was deliberate in that sense - but to the untrained ear (ie: mine until I read IMDB trivia) it did sound pretty f**king stupid.

So here's my summary of this thread:

James Cameron - you either love him or hate him.
    But don't talk shit about Aliens.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    It may be worth saying that "unobtanium" is apparently a bit of a running joke in the scientific community - a sort of in-joke really.
    yes, it is an in-joke among science geeks. it refers to an idea posited by some physicists and chemists that there may be stable heavy elements beyond uranium and plutonium (which we now know is primordial). such an element, if stable, would have some amazing, nearly magical properties. so far, all the elements found/created beyond plutonium are unstable, radioactive as all fook and not of much use except in research.

hell, there are primordial elements like Francium, Polonium, and Astatine that hardly exist in nature (at least on earth).
    Last edited by Mike70; 23-Apr-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: an does not end in a "d"
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    RE - Avatar

I just can't stress enough how much of a shitty film the first one is.

You know,

just in case someobody was wondering.

United States
    Four pages of awesomeness I have just read. Mostly hilarious, and even some being educational.
    I will say I'd like to see T2 again in the near future, as it's been a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time. Talking decades possibly...

I'm sure I've said this before hereabouts, but my kid was sick and I had to take her home for a bit during Titanic. So I missed most of it originally up to a bit before disaster struck.
    I will say, at the time, those FX were pretty sweeet. But I got stuck watching this in Dallas last August, and it kind of reminded me of Twister. When Twister came out, I was like, "WTF?!?"
    But when I saw it semi recently I felt kind of let down. Just kind of ho humm. Not so timeless...
    Anyhoo, I will admit I have a hatred for Leo that almost rivals my hatred for all things Kevin Spacey. It taints my view from the start, also admittedly. Hell, he still looks like he's 12. But everything up to the iceberg can suck donkey balls as far as I'm concerned. Watching that made me want to go powder my vagina.
    Yecccccchhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
    So yeah, it was cool to watch the ship go down on a huge screen. It was also really nice to watch Leo go down slowly into the water, all frozed up.
    And that chick's boobehs.