Undisclosed
    David Parker Ray and Cindy Hendy
    Leonard Lake and Charles Ng
    Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
    Gary Heidnik
    Issei Sagawa
    Andrei Chikatilo
    Anatoly Onoprienko

I personally knew a guy who murdered 2 people. Apprently over a period of 2 years he had planned the killings out and never showed a hint to anyone of what he was going to do.

Administrator

England
    I think the winner for outlandish horror, that's real, must be between Sawney Bean or HH Holmes?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I think the winner for outlandish horror, that's real, must be between Sawney Bean or HH Holmes?
    with jack the ripper getting honorable mention.

if i had to cast a vote, i'd probably go with H. H. Holmes. as Aces said in a post above the word "diabolical" is a perfect fit for Holmes' actions. has anyone ever put more thought, work or money into killing people in such horrific and sinister ways? probably not.

no one has mentioned (at least i think they haven't) the Bender family that were murdering people in Kansas on their way west. spooky thing about the Benders is that they completely disappeared without a trace and could've easily moved around and continued their murderous family activities. the american old west was a perfect place to melt away into and build a new identity. whose to say they didn't head south into mexico or even south america. though the last definitive evidence of the Benders suggested that they were actually heading east. the huge eastern cities would also have been perfect places to start over with new identities back in the 19th century. as far as i know, no trace of the Benders has ever been found after they booked. there were people held on suspicion of being part of the bender family but nothing could ever be proved.
    Last edited by Mike70; 23-Apr-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    It's a shame HH Holmes 'hotel" burned down! Can you imagine how much money that place would make now as a 'house of horrors' museum etc!

Although I suspect, had it survived it probably would have been bought and knocked down for property development...

Isn't Leonardo Dicaprio suppose to be starring in a film about him? - http://www.starpulse.com/news/NextMo..._devil_in_the_

-- -------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

While not prolific, Ian Brady and Myra Hindley were nasty pieces of work, again killing children. I think it's the fact these two people could work togethor in tormenting and killing children that's so scary! They even recorded some of the children pleading for help - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moors_murders#Victims

The victims were buried on the Moors, and I all of the bodies have now been located, except one, Keith Bennett.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Has anyone mentioned the election of Barack Hussein Obama yet?

Let me add that to the list if not. It's certainly a low point of contemporary American society. What's just as disturbing is a failure of Conservativism being blemished by neocon asses like Bush Jr. that help lead to the election of Obama as a reaction to neocon sensibilities. I'm sure Bush Jr. and Obama both would cause people like Milton Friedman and William Buckley Jr. roll in their graves in absolute disgust.

Honorable Mention would be the War of Northern Aggression against the agrarian south and the bastard William Tecumseh Sherman waging a war of raping and pillaging and burning the homes of people in his destruction of culture and killing thousands (he was the 18th century Stalin in my opinion) against people who just wanted to live their lives in peace. I hope there is a special place in Hell for Sherman, personally.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 25-Apr-2012 at 01:19 AM. Reason: aye
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Has anyone mentioned the election of Barack Hussein Obama yet?
    Not quite sure Obama is in keeping with the topic. I really don't get the Obama hate myself. Seems like a fairly sensible guy IMHO. Especially compared to the previous nut job!

Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Honorable Mention would be the War of Northern Aggression against the agrarian south and the bastard William Tecumseh Sherman waging a war of raping and pillaging and burning the homes of people in his destruction of culture and killing thousands (he was the 18th century Stalin in my opinion) against people who just wanted to live their lives in peace. I hope there is a special place in Hell for Sherman, personally.
    Not heard of that. Got a link?

I suppose if we're going into that territory then Nanking should get a mention surely?! - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    OK, what historical stories are so horrid and despicable they sound like fiction!

For me, here's a couple:-
    Sawney Bean - http://www.sawneybean.com/horrors2/bean.htm
    Jack the Ripper - http://www.jack-the-ripper.org/victi...the-ripper.htm
    Elizabeth Bathroy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_B%C3%A1thory
    Ah, Sawney Bean - I went to the Edinburgh Dungeon in 2010 and part of the tour was the tale of Sawney Bean. That portion had you on a boat, in total darkness, with the voices of the cannibal clan echoing around you (as stringy crap dangled from the ceiling and hit you in the face) ... it was amazing how much the surround sound felt so real after mere moments in the dark. At one point it genuinely felt like one of their faces was right next to mine in the darkness, hehe ... then we disembark the boat and meet with one of the members, who has a couple of hacked-up bodies on his table. The actor strides in and around the audience intimidating us all (indeed he got right up in my face, saying something like that I looked delicious, haha), and then we moved on ... just reading about it in the waiting area was grim (they had various gruesome tales on plaques), but add it into a really kick arse Dungeon tour and it was really creepy. An astonishing tale.

Administrator

England
    ^^ I wish I'd know about the Edinburgh Dungeon, as I would have gone!
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Check out this guy. Most proficient hitman in recorded history, Richard Kuklinski a.k.a. 'The Iceman'. You wanna see something really freaky, look at this guy's eyes when he's describing how he killed people, there is litterally nothing there. He talks about killing people, to quote boondock saints, "Like he's ordering a f*cking pizza".

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    ^^

ugh, this guy was an animal for sure. I saw something on about him not too long ago and was shocked at how cold and unfeeling this dude was. apparently, he once filmed one of his victims being eaten by rats. lovely world we live in sometimes isn't it?
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwing401 View Post
    Check out this guy. Most proficient hitman in recorded history, Richard Kuklinski a.k.a. 'The Iceman'. You wanna see something really freaky, look at this guy's eyes when he's describing how he killed people, there is litterally nothing there. He talks about killing people, to quote boondock saints, "Like he's ordering a f*cking pizza".

Wow....that is really, really.....shit I can't even find a word for this guy.
    Clearly a sociopath...don't have to look far into his upbringing to see where most of his lack of empathy comes from...strict religious beatings as a child can pretty much turn one into a monster. His parents sounded f**king horrific, and this is to me just another one of those cases where a person can have all the lines to empathic behaviour severed by evil fucking parents, and a rough upbringing.
    Of course that doesn't apply to everything, but it's a good marker of measuring how fucked up a person can get.

The fucked up thing here is that he DID feel empathy - right at the end of the doc, he wallows in the hurt he's caused his family - that empathic line to the brain exists still, but it's buried deep beneath a murderous animal - he managed to sever those connections to caring about murder but he couldn't dismiss the knowledge that he'd never had a family, until he met his wife, and his actions had destroyed any chance he had of being normal and creating something for his family that he never had himself.

The family link was the most prevalent element in all of this. He had an awful upbringing and a terrible, uncaring family. He turned into a monster but still had that link to a loving family idealogy - something he wanted but never had. By the time he had a chance to create something, he was already gone.
    you can't help but wonder what may have been if at the romance stage of his relationship with his wife, wasn't separate from his life of murder...if there was any crossover, any danger to his own family or chance of being completely outcast because of his actions, he may have taken a different course.

Probably not though, by then he was way too far gone. He'd completely lost the ability to think and feel as though he was the victim...but I think some of this shit was massive bravado.
    I didn't think he was as cold as you made out when talking about the killings. He was matter of fact, yes - but his hesitations, constant mouth twitching etc made me feel that he was weighing up and dismissing each case everytime he thought of it. He was calm, considered and articulate - but the process he seemed to go through dictates that he has a skill of being able to assess a situation then instantly dismiss the emotional consequences of it - with such skill and ferocity that he could become this sort of killer.

Definitely a despicable guy.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

UK
    ^^ I wish I'd know about the Edinburgh Dungeon, as I would have gone!
    Were you in Edinburgh recently?

The Dungeon is pretty close to the train station, right beside it in fact, just over the bridge from Princes Street. If you happen to be by there again sometime, definitely check it out. Well worth the money, I had a blast. Likewise, not much further up the hill, there's Mary King's Close - a tour of real underground streets underneath Edinburgh. The Dungeon is better by comparison, but Mary King's Close was really interesting too - you get a tour guide (we got a guy portraying a grade digger) and you see how they used to live way back when in Edinburgh. Chilling - yet morbidly fascinating - stuff.

Super Moderator

United States
    Check out this guy. Most proficient hitman in recorded history, Richard Kuklinski a.k.a. 'The Iceman'.
    Wow, did some reading on this guy this afternoon. A complete monster. Seems like some of his hitman claims are on shaky ground, though. Might have to read more about him down the line.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    SimphonicX and Aces, dudes, you need to read the book on this f*cker. The documentary doesn't do any justice for how demeanted The Iceman was. In one of his off camera interviews, he tells how he calmly explained to his then 8 year old daughter about how difficult it would be for him to kill her if he ever accidentally beat her mother to death because, in his words, "I can't leave any potential witnesses, but you're my favorite possession."

That's all his family and wife were to this guy, things that belonged to him. And that was it. His wife Barbara never left him out of total fear for her life, because when they were first going out she tried to politely ask him to back off a bit because his behavior of constantly being around her was unsettling, Richard stabbed her in the arm and calmly stated, "You're mine, you belong to me now." He then told her that if she ever left him and he couldn't find her, he would take it out on her closest family members. Honestly, I've viewed her as one of the most resiliant women ever. When she first found out that she was pregnate, she had a sit down with Kuklinski and told him, "If you ever lay a hand on this child or any others we have, I'll cut your f*cking throat while you're sleeping."

His response to that was a calm shrug followed by an "Ok."

Richard said that Barbara was one of the few human beings he had ever learned in his life to trust, and she earned it when one time he had shoved a butcher knife into her hands and turned his back to her, stating, "If you really want to take me out, this is the only free shot I'm ever going to give you," and she didn't.

Check out the second part of the documentary, when he gets into how he killed one of his best friends of some 20 years. The interviewer asks him if he ever felt remorse for killing that friend or any others he ever had. Richard calmly states, "Let me tell you something. Right now, I'm serving multiple life sentences, I'm never getting out of prison. And the only reason that I'm in here right now is that a friend of mine, a guy I knew for years and trusted, ratted me out to the cops. And he's the only friend of mine that I didn't kill. So what do you think?"

Super Moderator

United States
    SimphonicX and Aces, dudes, you need to read the book on this fucker. The documentary doesn't do any justice for how demeanted The Iceman was. In one of his off camera interviews, he tells how he calmly explained to his then 8 year old daughter about how difficult it would be for him to kill her if he ever accidentally beat her mother to death because, in his words, "I can't leave any potential witnesses, but you're my favorite possession."
    Sounds terrifying! By the way, thanks for posting about him, RW. As horrible as this stuff is I do find it fascinating to read about what makes these sorts tick. Do you happen to recall which book you read on him? Seems like there's a couple with very similar titles by different authors.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany